Kris Temple Twitter Re January - AFCB

None of our midfielders score goals apart from Billing when he can be arsed.

Wiki says Laurence has scored 33 goals in 156 games for Derby. Hardly prolific!

The Lerma, Kilkenny, Billing midfield seemed to be good enough to contribute to our early season winning streak so why change it?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Having said that, it seems that bizarelly we can't seem to play Anthony without Zemura. And we can't seem to win without Zemura full stop! Unbelievable.

The Lerma, Kilkenny, Billing midfield seemed to be good enough to contribute to our early season winning streak so why change it?

Having said that, it seems that bizarelly we can't seem to play Anthony without Zemura. And we can't seem to win without Zemura full stop! Unbelievable.
A goal every 5 games is not at all bad for a midfielder. Certainly better than our lot are producing. The Zemurra Anthony thing is certainly an interesting problem. They have a great understanding which leaves a big hole if one is not available.

I always thought Gosling was a good goal scoring midfielder, but per wiki 21 goals in 193

for comparison Phil Bill is 19 in 101

Seems laurence would actually be a better option if goals is the only thing we care about

Kilkenny and Pearson seem to me to be the perfect example of playing the right player in the right game.

Kilkenny is a superb ballplayer and can really orchestrate a game but if you are playing a team that will just push him over all the time then his effect is limited.

If it gets physical then Pearson is your chap. Also good at breaking up a midfield a bit like Kante.

But they aren't the players that you would say are definite starters in every game unless you have no other options or you are tactically inept/inflexible.

That’s not a bad return for his position

This is what troubles me about Parker. Some very good players seem to suddenly fall out of favour and go into a black hole. Steve Cook, Pearson, Kilkenny. Guys who are solid, hard to play against like Pearson, or with the creativity that we need like Kilkenny.
There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason.
If you can fall out with and not play Mitrovic in a team that couldn’t score you can do it with anyone!

Blandford Cherry whether any new players will be able to maintain their scoring habits remains to be seen no doubt any such initiative will soon be smothered out of them and they too will become Parker robots.

I always thought Gosling was a good goal scoring midfielder, but per wiki 21 goals in 193

for comparison Phil Bill is 19 in 101

Seems lawence would actually be a better option if goals is the only thing we care about

Agree that Lawrence has a marginally better goal scoring ratio per game than Billing based on those stats (21.1% V 18.8%).

However, surely our 'Plan B' priority (other than striker) is be pace down both wings and not centre mid?

Last edited:
Kilkenny and Pearson seem to me to be the perfect example of playing the right player in the right game.

Kilkenny is a superb ballplayer and can really orchestrate a game but if you are playing a team that will just push him over all the time then his effect is limited.

If it gets physical then Pearson is your chap. Also good at breaking up a midfield a bit like Kante.

But they aren't the players that you would say are definite starters in every game unless you have no other options or you are tactically inept/inflexible.
This. Might be my faulty memory, but I thought we were seeing some of this from SP for a while, but now it seems to have disappeared. Or maybe, tbf, he was pushing the right buttons and getting results earlier, but things are no longer working out. Saturday's line-up for example looked different from the previous week, but neither produced any points.

Another theory in managing teams is to ride the hot hand. E.g. Emi. This however doesn't always work against every opponent, especially with the variety of styles of play by teams in the Championship.

Last edited:
Agree... On current form, I'd rather Kilkenny than L.Cook (admittedly Cook is being asked to play a role that is not his natural position...)...

Kilkenny definitely needs to feature more...
Our form has dipped since Lewis cook came back into the team . Not saying his fault and know the loss of zemura etc has had a big impact. Cook looks like he is being shoehorned into the team .

Our best balance this season in midfield has been Kilkenny dictating play , Lerma box to box and Billing the more advanced.

Re Lawrence’s goal ratio, need to consider the fact that c 60 plus games for Derby will be a struggling side that is quite defensive

If we could sign all four, that would be some business.
Add the 2 we've signed already this month it would be ridiculous. I think it does prove that Max is backing the board in some serious business. We won't be signing these lads on a 1 year contract.

Add the 2 we've signed already this month it would be ridiculous. I think it does prove that Max is backing the board in some serious business. We won't be signing these lads on a 1 year contract.
Exactly. This is building for the long term on the relatively cheap as most are out of contract.
All hail Marc Bosman. ;)

;