Lewis Cook

I'm thinking that whatever SP has locked in to his strategy from now until May - its best not interfered with from a financial or playing perspective...then it can be all sorted ready for, hopefully, the next assault on the PL.
..4 months or so from January isn't going make a tremendous difference financially..so having this midfield dexterity to achieve promotion is best left as it is.

Yet they are paying the wages of six central midfielders. They need to sell someone in my opinion and Jeff is on £50k a week. Steve Cook will go which will then mean Jeff's wages would nearly be as much as the rest put together.
Yes, we have 6 CM's but when you are playing 3 a game then that is a cover for each position . You only need to look at the start of the season to see how light we were.

I'm thinking that whatever SP has locked in to his strategy from now until May - its best not interfered with from a financial or playing perspective...then it can be all sorted ready for, hopefully, the next assault on the PL.
..4 months or so from January isn't going make a tremendous difference financially..so having this midfield dexterity to achieve promotion is best left as it is.

I couldn't agree more, but for SP having young Lewis Cook as a standby is a wonderful bonus for him...not so good for Lewis tho' but I hope the thought of next seasons salary will calm him down....hope so.
What a wonderful result by Swansea last night!
UTC

Very sensible post without your usual nonsense.

Yes, we have 6 CM's but when you are playing 3 a game then that is a cover for each position . You only need to look at the start of the season to see how light we were.

Well in that case we've got eight or more players who can play in one of those three positions.

From a football perspective maybe but the bean counters must be looking at how many central midfielders we have.
Sell in the summer then. The potential impact it could have on the rest of our season could far outweigh the benefit of not having to pay his wages for another six months. If we are talking a sale to potentially reinvest into another area that we see could benefit us for the remainder of the season then that’s a different discussion. But desperately trying to get Lerma off of the wage bill mid season at the risk of damaging our prospects makes zero sense when that can just be done in the summer! Although I do see where you are coming from as personally I wouldn’t have him in the first choice midfield.

I wonder if they are thinking of offloading Jeff in January. Him and Cook highest wage earners by a distance and despite how good he is you'd have to say we could afford to lose a central midfielder.
It would be madness to try and sell Lerma, an absolutely crucial part of our team, I reckon if he hadn't been banned we would have a few more points by now. However money talks and if someone comes in with £25m then who knows. It seems to me that Lerma is very happy here and just loves playing and winning. Long may that continue.

It would be madness to try and sell Lerma, an absolutely crucial part of our team, I reckon if he hadn't been banned we would have a few more points by now. However money talks and if someone comes in with £25m then who knows. It seems to me that Lerma is very happy here and just loves playing and winning. Long may that continue.

That's what I was thinking, given the strength in depth we have I reckon a decent offer would be difficult for them to turn down.

Two things. If we're still in the top four at the end of Jan I think we won't sell unless a ridiculous offer comes in.

My impression is also that big money Jan signings aren't usually DM. Strikers, wingers, attacking midfielders or CBs maybe but it'd take a brave manager to panic buy a DM for a huge fee as his main Jan signing.

Therefore I'd hazard a guess any offers would fall well short of what we want to receive.

Two things. If we're still in the top four at the end of Jan I think we won't sell unless a ridiculous offer comes in.

My impression is also that big money Jan signings aren't usually DM. Strikers, wingers, attacking midfielders or CBs maybe but it'd take a brave manager to panic buy a DM for a huge fee as his main Jan signing.

Therefore I'd hazard a guess any offers would fall well short of what we want to receive.
Agree. Selling Jeff in January seems unlikely and if we gain promotion he'll be happy to stay here and we'll be happy to have him, I'm sure.

You've got to love Jeff. The way he keeps coming back from these long international break trips and straight back into the team is incredible. It's like the guy just wants to play at every single opportunity. He seems to have a real hunger for his job, seems to really live for it. Nice to see !

Agree. Selling Jeff in January seems unlikely and if we gain promotion he'll be happy to stay here and we'll be happy to have him, I'm sure.

You've got to love Jeff. The way he keeps coming back from these long international break trips and straight back into the team is incredible. It's like the guy just wants to play at every single opportunity. He seems to have a real hunger for his job, seems to really live for it. Nice to see !
Getting Jeff back from Columbia in time for the Bristol City game and him coming on was almost a miracle.

Didn’t you used to post ITK stuff back in the day? Lol

oops. Caught me. Lol.
I did have a limited amount of info. It was from someone who did some work for Max. In his early days here.
The best source of info was someone who had three letters as his username. Can’t remember, started with an E I think.
I just don’t know how anyone knows who earns what and how it’s structured, Unless they’ve hacked Blake’s pc.

From a football perspective maybe but the bean counters must be looking at how many central midfielders we have.
Jeff has been the one player that never gets dropped by any manager we've had recently be that Eddie ....JT
...Woody or now Parker.....he obviously does things that maybe dont always catch the eye of the spectator but managers regard what he does as invaluable....Woody absolutely loved him.
As waza mentioned if the club planned to get him off the wage bill then he wouldn't be playing in every game....he'd probably be getting the Steve Cook treatment in fact...... especially as you say with the midfield options we have......I mean Parker must be very keen to keep him in the side if we're playing him as an attacking no 8!

Jeff has been the one player that never gets dropped by any manager we've had recently be that Eddie ....JT
...Woody or now Parker.....he obviously does things that maybe dont always catch the eye of the spectator but managers regard what he does as invaluable....Woody absolutely loved him.
As waza mentioned if the club planned to get him off the wage bill then he wouldn't be playing in every game....he'd probably be getting the Steve Cook treatment in fact...... especially as you say with the midfield options we have......I mean Parker must be very keen to keep him in the side if we're playing him as an attacking no 8!

Would you or Waz not pick Danjuma or Begovic if they were available then? Him being a key player doesn't necessarily mean he won't be sold if a decent offer comes in for him.

To argue against my own point you'd look at the financial risk Demin was willing to take when we were top at Christmas last time - getting Kenwyne Jones in etc. and you'd conclude that he'd be willing to take the risk of turning down offers. The fact remains though we are way oversubscribed for central midfielders and even if we could afford to pay them all to sit on the bench someone will be pissed off and looking for a move before long.

Would you or Waz not pick Danjuma or Begovic if they were available then? Him being a key player doesn't necessarily mean he won't be sold if a decent offer comes in for him.

To argue against my own point you'd look at the financial risk Demin was willing to take when we were top at Christmas last time - getting Kenwyne Jones in etc. and you'd conclude that he'd be willing to take the risk of turning down offers. The fact remains though we are way oversubscribed for central midfielders and even if we could afford to pay them all to sit on the bench someone will be pissed off and looking for a move before long.
Of course I would but then again I'd also have Steve Cook in the matchday squad.....the fact that he's not would suggest that that's the way we are handling any high earners we want gone...

oops. Caught me. Lol.
I did have a limited amount of info. It was from someone who did some work for Max. In his early days here.
The best source of info was someone who had three letters as his username. Can’t remember, started with an E I think.
I just don’t know how anyone knows who earns what and how it’s structured, Unless they’ve hacked Blake’s pc.
UEL.

Of course I would but then again I'd also have Steve Cook in the matchday squad.....the fact that he's not would suggest that that's the way we are handling any high earners we want gone...

But surely the fact that Begovic and Danjuma were sold suggests that first choice players are not indispensable if the books need to be balanced. Those two weren't even in positions we had loads of other options, unlike Lerma.

But surely the fact that Begovic and Danjuma were sold suggests that first choice players are not indispensable if the books need to be balanced. Those two weren't even in positions we had loads of other options, unlike Lerma.
Begovic was allegedly the highest earner and Danjuma wanted to play at a higher level than the Championship. Lerma is obviously happy here playing Championship football.

Who is actually going to come in for Jeff that’s another point. Valencia we’re rumoured strongly in the summer but couldn’t afford him apparently, if we were that desperate to get him off the wage bill then why not accept a cut price fee? It just doesn’t seem plausible unless we get a silly offer, and that in itself isn’t really plausible imo.

;