Lewis Cook

But surely the fact that Begovic and Danjuma were sold suggests that first choice players are not indispensable if the books need to be balanced. Those two weren't even in positions we had loads of other options, unlike Lerma.
Very few teams look to balance the books in the January, we will have budgeted for a Lerma to be here this season. Next summer is a different matter entirely. There was interest in Danjuma last January, we didn’t sell them because it would upset our chances. We re evaluated in the summer.

Who is actually going to come in for Jeff that’s another point. Valencia we’re rumoured strongly in the summer but couldn’t afford him apparently, if we were that desperate to get him off the wage bill then why not accept a cut price fee? It just doesn’t seem plausible unless we get a silly offer, and that in itself isn’t really plausible imo.

Maybe but is it sustainable to pay the wages of all the central midfielders we have on the books and not try and offload one? I'm speculating about Jeff because he's the only player on high wages that they've not renegotiated or tried to sell but if not him then it's going to be one of them.

Maybe but is it sustainable to pay the wages of all the central midfielders we have on the books and not try and offload one? I'm speculating about Jeff because he's the only player on high wages that they've not renegotiated or tried to sell but if not him then it's going to be one of them.
Why is it going to be one of them? I don’t understand where this certainty comes from. All our centre mids have played a very big part so far, why are you so certain that one will depart? The only one who seems a bit surplus right now is Marcondes, and he’s not going anywhere after recently signing. Not sure why you’ve got this in your head, we may have a lot, but they’ve all played a part. If we’re so desperate to cut costs then why extend L Cook? Why sign Robbie Brady?

But surely the fact that Begovic and Danjuma were sold suggests that first choice players are not indispensable if the books need to be balanced. Those two weren't even in positions we had loads of other options, unlike Lerma.
Yeah obviously Bego was on a crazy wage and maybe he didn't want to drop a lower who knows?......not sure selling Danjuma was to balance the books though......as you say Max isn't adverse to taking a risk and if Danjuma had shown any inclination he wanted to stay we would have kept him .

Why is it going to be one of them? I don’t understand where this certainty comes from. All our centre mids have played a very big part so far, why are you so certain that one will depart? The only one who seems a bit surplus right now is Marcondes, and he’s not going anywhere after recently signing. Not sure why you’ve got this in your head, we may have a lot, but they’ve all played a part. If we’re so desperate to cut costs then why extend L Cook? Why sign Robbie Brady?
Waz has a very good point here SDD. Where does this certainty come from?

There's no certainty I'm speculating. It's actually quite odd that you of all people are suggesting I'm saying that this is a certainty given your proclamations about how WBA and Fulham are going to finish top two. One would think you'd understand opinion when you see it.

You could try imagining I've put "in my opinion" before all my posts if that helps.

Btw "all our central midfielders have a very big part to play" is clearly nonsense. At least two are not going to play anything like the games the would want to. Dan Gosling was third choice midfielder in 2014/15 and he struggled to get in the side. Now we've got 6+

Yeah obviously Bego was on a crazy wage and maybe he didn't want to drop a lower who knows?......not sure selling Danjuma was to balance the books though......as you say Max isn't adverse to taking a risk and if Danjuma had shown any inclination he wanted to stay we would have kept him .

I'm not so sure. It can't be a coincidence that every player bar Cook and Lerma who were on PL wages has either been sold or has renegotiated a new contract.

Three selected and three replacements shows signs of a well balanced squad.

I think there are too many. I don't know who the six people are thinking of tbh but for those three places we have Lerma, Cook, Pearson, Billing, Kilkenny, Christie, Marcondes, Stanislas... and even Lowe, Rogers or Anthony could play in the advanced role if there was some freak incident that took out dozens of CMs.

At least two very good central midfielders are going to be on the bench at best this season.

I think there are too many. I don't know who the six people are thinking of tbh but for those three places we have Lerma, Cook, Pearson, Billing, Kilkenny, Christie, Marcondes, Stanislas... and even Lowe, Rogers or Anthony could play in the advanced role if there was some freak incident that took out dozens of CMs.

At least two very good central midfielders are going to be on the bench at best this season.
We could also at a push play all those midfielders in wide positions.

We could also at a push play all those midfielders in wide positions.

Of course. I guess the worry I have is that even before L Cook comes back you worry that Kilkenny will struggle for game time - he's too good to go out on loan to a lower level so who out of Lerma, Pearson, Kilkenny and Cook is playing in the deep position. Our best line up has two more advanced CMs and none of these get in the side in that position either.

Of course. I guess the worry I have is that even before L Cook comes back you worry that Kilkenny will struggle for game time - he's too good to go out on loan to a lower level so who out of Lerma, Pearson, Kilkenny and Cook is playing in the deep position. Our best line up has two more advanced CMs and none of these get in the side in that position either.
You're assuming we will have no injuries or suspensions. Highly likely on both fronts.

Some games require two holding midfielders and some two advanced. SP seems very good at knowing what's needed and when.

You're assuming we will have no injuries or suspensions. Highly likely on both fronts.

Some games require two holding midfielders and some two advanced. SP seems very good at knowing what's needed and when.

Whatever way you look at it we've got too many central midfielders.

;