Lewis Cook

I was always frustrated with him that he would quite often play a backwards pass or put his foot on it and slow the game down when we were on the front foot but looks like Iraola has coached that out of him ,he looks like a different player now,I've not seen him play a defence splitter like the one that led to Solanke hitting the post for years.
He seems to be developing a great partnership with Solanke.
It’s like he understands exactly where Dom is and where he needs the ball and is increasingly able to deliver it right where he needs it.
He’s starting to pick out some really dangerous passes.
Really looking like a great player now, after many setbacks and false starts.
Cook and Christie now looking like a world class midfield duo.
Exciting times indeed.

Last edited:
The way he is intercepting and winning the ball back is great to watch, yesterday’s first goal for example…. It’s more like rugby with a rush defence! Picking the right moment to start your manoeuvre and then arriving on the scene at 20 mph to whip the ball of the foot of the opponent. Tacking the ball at speed leaving the opposition welded to the spot. How can you not break through?
It’s like a covert high press on amphetamines.

He seems to be developing a great partnership with Solanke.
It’s like he understands exactly where Dom is and where he needs the ball and is increasingly able to deliver it right where he needs it.
He’s starting to pick out some really dangerous passes.
Really looking like a great player now, after many setbacks and false starts.
Cook and Christie now looking like a world class midfield duo.
Exciting times indeed.

From six years ago.

The two of them after winning the World Cup.

ITALY 1-3 ENGLAND U20S​

Solanke double sends Young Lions into FIFA U20 World Cup final
Thursday 08 Jun 2017

Dominic Solanke struck twice as England reached their first-ever FIFA U20 World Cup final with an incredible second-half comeback in Jeonju.

I think with christie playing alongside him and putting it a proper shift the Christie and cook duet is working .
Add to the fact the 4 in front are also working well and hard the balance seems to be great .
Also noticed now we are starting to go more direct from the back and less dithering around

Him and Christie have formed quite an unexpected duet. Nothing overly special but solid and non stop work rate a true engine for the middle

Him and Christie have formed quite an unexpected duet. Nothing overly special but solid and non stop work rate a true engine for the middle
I actually think it has been quite special. With some partnerships, players instinctively know what each other will do. I think this applies to the Ryan-Lew Bromance. Agree entirely about the non-stop work rate as well.

I actually think it has been quite special. With some partnerships, players instinctively know what each other will do. I think this applies to the Ryan-Lew Bromance. Agree entirely about the non-stop work rate as well.
What I meant by not overly special was regarding goal scoring and assists. I’m happy with that they do keeping possession and pressing and just being a constant menace

Another great performance, no idea where he was playing for 30 mins of the second half - centre of a back 3?
I saw him as the right CB in a back four, believe it or not. The ball was barely in our defensive half during that time, so he wasn't called on to do all the CB things. Tavernier spent a lot of time up the left wing, but he also did that in the first half.

I saw him as the right CB in a back four, believe it or not. The ball was barely in our defensive half during that time, so he wasn't called on to do all the CB things. Tavernier spent a lot of time up the left wing, but he also did that in the first half.

Pretty sure he was centre of a back 3

So good to have him back.

In the second half, we really had to go for it. All or nothing.

So Andoni went for the fastest ball movement possible, hence this position at the back after subbing Mepham with Christie.

Also made it possible for him to complete 90 minutes, which in the middle could have been more challenging as he’s recently come back from injury.

I think he’ll go right into the starting lineup in the next PL game with Scott and Kluivert having to fight for the 10 position.

;