Lewis Cook

So Championship players are not inferior to PL players!.....thats incredible....i must say i like your theory more than mine......looking forward to our Premier League title challenge next season already!!

My last comment - so our Championship players who were promoted to the Premier League werent good enough for the PL for five years- Leeds (now) were in the championship now promoted to PL - they are inferior to? Not all good players can be in the Premier League - there isnt enough space/teams for them!!!!

My last comment - so our Championship players who were promoted to the Premier League werent good enough for the PL for five years- Leeds (now) were in the championship now promoted to PL - they are inferior to? Not all good players can be in the Premier League - there isnt enough space/teams for them!!!!
There are plenty of players in the Champ who would be good enough for the PL, and plenty in the PL who wouldn't walk straight into every Championship team. I guess a Venn diagram would work . . . but obviously the average quality is much higher in the PL.

Lol have it your way then....there is no difference in the quality of opponent Lewis is facing this season..........and Champagne Cherry is completely wrong ....Steve Cook dancing his way though PL teams is going to be a common sight next season thanks to this new freedom too express his inner Pele that JT has installed........

There are plenty of players in the Champ who would be good enough for the PL, and plenty in the PL who wouldn't walk straight into every Championship team. I guess a Venn diagram would work . . . but obviously the average quality is much higher in the PL.

Agreed! Quality of players in PL on average higher because they have silly money to buy the alleged better players.

Yeah it could be that......or it could just be the fact that he''s playing in a lower league ...against inferior opposition....where he gets more time on the ball and every mistake he makes isn''t punished.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I don't think the inferior players argument completely cuts it, there were a few games early on when Lew wasn't playing with the same verve that he is now. In fact our entire midfield has looked a bit stifled at times, up until the latest handful of games.

I also agree with Sweetcherrity in that alot of teams in the Championship have set up to press us, to a man, from kickoff. Something we rarely saw in the PL.

For me it's clear the confidence and swagger is back, the partnerships are working again. What does that boil down to? Partly positive reinforcement from the step down in quality and ability to create goals again. But in order to get there it needs a manager with vision and direction and JT has to take alot of credit for that.

Harry Arter attempted one every week.....he was pretty consistent with them as well tbf.
Harry Arter is the example that really sticks out. Throughout his time with us I was on the edge of my seat when he was teeing up one of his long range pile drivers, then in the Prem I found myself praying that he wouldn’t shoot when given the opportunity. He all of a sudden seemed to slice every single effort.

Been saying it for years. The Mitre ball in the football league is a far better ball than the Nike they use in the Premier League. It’s more predictable in what it does in the air. You want to bend it, hook your foot round it. You want it to go straight...kick it straight.

The Nike ball, you hit through it and you can make it move from left to right, put some swaz on it etc.

It makes longer range shots more predictable and more often than not it doesn’t make goalkeepers look silly (Palace ‘keeper against Kane for example).
I honestly think there must be some truth to this. I felt like Arter in particular was shooting with a beach ball at times when we’d made it to the Prem. he just seemed to have no control over where the shot would end up. A dramatic contrast to his previous years with us.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I don't think the inferior players argument completely cuts it, there were a few games early on when Lew wasn't playing with the same verve that he is now. In fact our entire midfield has looked a bit stifled at times, up until the latest handful of games.

I also agree with Sweetcherrity in that alot of teams in the Championship have set up to press us, to a man, from kickoff. Something we rarely saw in the PL.

For me it's clear the confidence and swagger is back, the partnerships are working again. What does that boil down to? Partly positive reinforcement from the step down in quality and ability to create goals again. But in order to get there it needs a manager with vision and direction and JT has to take alot of credit for that.
It's no surprise that a lot of our players are benefiting massively for a drop down to Championship level simply because of the confidence factor.....5 years in the PL can put a dent in any players confidence.....Solanke and Lewis in particular after as you say a slow start [confidence again] are now realising that they are just better than anyone they're up against ..........it's got nothing to do with Sweetcherrty view that it was Eddie's fault for stifling our players ..................as for PL teams not pressing us!.......honestly nothing could be further from the truth.....the only difference is the PL teams were a lot better at it.........

There won't be many but if anyone is in any doubt as to the difference in quality then have a look at the league tables ......3 of the relegated sides in the top 4 in the Championship and as usual 2 of the promoted sides in the bottom 3 in the PL and Leeds aren't exactly pulling up any trees either..........tells it's own story tbf.

I honestly think there must be some truth to this. I felt like Arter in particular was shooting with a beach ball at times when we’d made it to the Prem. he just seemed to have no control over where the shot would end up. A dramatic contrast to his previous years with us.
There's no doubt that there is something in it .....there balls are just different.......our first game of the season against Blackburn confirmed that.

I remember seeing this argument proposed years ago.
But the problem is, when we got promoted we didn't keep practicing with a Championship ball and playing games with a PL ball!
They would have had the entire 2015 pre-season to get used to the new ball.

I remember seeing this argument proposed years ago.
But the problem is, when we got promoted we didn't keep practicing with a Championship ball and playing games with a PL ball!
They would have had the entire 2015 pre-season to get used to the new ball.

And when we first got promoted Matt Ritchie was the only one with the technique to kick through the ball to put some swaz on it.

I see that's the latest rumour doing the rounds - now, I can quite see that Lewis may be targeted by a number of PL teams, but £9 million...come off it !

;