Liverpool - The verdict

You made one comment about playing well yesterday, and the rest was negative.

As I said, I don't doubt that the league shows that we are one of the teams that have been pretty poor. I disagree that its such an easy problem to solve. In my opinion Palace away was terrible, and our poor away record is really disappointing, and if I averaged points-per-miles I'd give in tomorrow!

You post your thoughts and people respond. Thats how it goes. Not everyone agrees with my archaic thoughts on VAR or Sweet Caroline, but I don't think its technological evangelists ganging up on me.

Everyone agrees with your archaic thoughts on Sweet Caroline and Var Rob. Trust me.

Well....we can forget Liverpool until next season maybe.
Their fans can reflect on " that game when we, the Champions Elect had to scrap for the points with a ' fight back' against a depleted Bournemouth side."

We can reflect that it was only a week after a talented Chelsea side had to scrap for a point against Bournemouth.
Bournemouth....so near yet so far...lumps in throat days!
We shall not.. we shall not be moved..too easily!

If Solanke had missed that chance I would be celebrating you are correct. Celebrating the fact that for the first time in his career he hadn’t gone and hidden behind a centre half in the one area of the penalty box the ball couldn’t physically get to. It would be great if Solanke started missing easy chances because it would give you hope that one day he would start scoring.
You got that spot on Salanke was supposed to be the goal scorer we where looking for. But unfortunately he isn't, anywhere near what I thought he was going to be. But when does it become apparent he's not, Eddie keeps giving him chances. People say certain people on here are negative, we are not in our opinion we give a honest appraisal of what we have seen. We all want the same thing premiership future for our team.

I haven’t said we weren’t good today. I said we have been very good in the last four games.

I am just saying you can take any game less than a three goal margin and work out the swing incidents that could have got you the points. Any side can. We have had a season of lamenting mistakes and misses. It’s those we need to stop. Too many lapses of concentration and for long periods lack of effort have defined this season.

Just was totally the wrong time to bring out the old and tired squad debate after the game yesterday.

I know I'll never change your mind, but how negative are you? You have little to say on what was a pretty good performance against a team unbeaten at home for ages.

Anyone can write a simple formula for playing better. Good god you do it every week. But doing it in real life, with all the unknown nuances and events is a hell of a lot harder. Coping with injuries, player psychology, perhaps not the funds to buy players we really want.

Simpson made a mistake which was capitalised on by two of the best strikers in the League. Poor bloke must be really feeling it right now. The whole team gave their all. Those of us not in their ivory tower applauded them for what was a good performance. This wasn't a Palace away.
Quote of the thread.

On Jack Simpson I have to disagree with a few of you. I think there is a very, very good player in there as has been demonstrated previously. It must be a confidence thing and a lack of playing time against quality opposition. When he first broke into the team, Chelsea I think it was, he looked imperious with time on the ball and able to play it out from the back. Sometimes you take a punt on a player and it doesn’t come off. Afobe and Ibe the glaring examples but not in this case.

Last edited:
No fault of Jack or the club but he does seem to get thrown in at the deep end every game he plays, coming on against Liverpool, City, Arsenal etc.
Give the lad a break.
The lfc first goal started from afcb possession in the their half then negative backward passing ending at Simpson, a collective team fail ending with an individual error.

The lfc first goal started from afcb possession in the their half then negative backward passing ending at Simpson, a collective team fail ending with an individual error.

He had a poor touch and gave it to their forward. An individual error and nothing else. He's a central defender, he will get the ball passed back to him fifty times a game. He needs to be able to control and pass the ball.

Just one question, cos I'm confused

Have we got the best squad we've ever had and one that should be higher up the table

or

Is our recruitment rubbish?

...to be fair to Jack, we have many in our team who can't control the ball,pass the ball or retain possession to the standards required in The PL. That is why we are in the bottom three because we only have a few true quality players (Lerma, Ake, Brooks, King, and Ramsdale) who have to play with those who often make too many mistakes...the result is that we struggle, especially against the top teams who punish us as Liverpool did.

Individual mistakes are part of the game, yes it was frustrating to see Jack lose the ball for their first goal and then watch Lewis Cook give the ball away in the centre circle for Liverpool to break for their second...with Mane having all the space in the world to break on us because our defenders just lost him!

I don't blame them all the time as we can't afford to buy a Van Dyk or Laporte to shore up our central defence!

Just one question, cos I'm confused

Have we got the best squad we've ever had and one that should be higher up the table

or

Is our recruitment rubbish?
What do you think it is? Personally I think we've got our best ever squad but also that other teams are better.

Hope that helps.

What do you think it is? Personally I think we've got our best ever squad but also that other teams are better.

Hope that helps.
I think we have our best ever squad on paper. Better than about another 8 teams...again on paper.

Unfortunately our better players haven’t performed even close to their best for much of the season. We’ve also suffered unprecedented injuries and the manager took too long to address what wasn’t working tactically.

I actually think we are playing our best football since Autumn 2018 right now. But it maybe too little too late

Hope that helps.

I'm with you, Rob, but there does seem to be some confusion on this board. People can't have it both ways.....

I think we have our best ever squad on paper. Better than about another 8 teams...again on paper.

Unfortunately our better players haven’t performed even close to their best for much of the season. We’ve also suffered unprecedented injuries and the manager took too long to address what wasn’t working tactically.

I actually think we are playing our best football since Autumn 2018 right now. But it maybe too little too late

Agree, plenty of examples of other clubs squads that shouldn't have been relegated/missed out on promotion over the years on ability alone.

Things like team cohesion, injuries etc play a big part as well.

You could argue that if you dont perform, by definition it isnt the best squad, but I think on paper this is the best squad ability wise that we ve assembled, better than at least 6 sides in this league.

Sheff U have spent much wiser and better for cheaper.

Have they really? Their success is based very much on the players that got them up.

Callum Robinson is now out on loan at West Brom. Their record signing in January back on the bench for the game on Saturday. McBurnie is in and out the starting line up. Even Lys, who some feel has turned into Ronaldo since he went there, is not always in the team. Their other two January signings have barely been seen and their probable best player, Henderson, isn't even there's.

I admire Wilder totally and their team is doing great but that isn't really down to their signings this season.

;