Liverpool - The verdict

Not only have you claimed Stacey has played in the centre back role, you’re also claiming he has more Premier league experience than Simpson.
I’m not claiming anything, Merely passing on the information given to me by a Luton supporter who has seen him play in that position.

In terms of who is more experienced, I think you’ll find that Stacey has had more PL appearances than Simpson, and Simpson has been at the club far, far longer.

I think you are wrong Surridge should have been on not Solanke. He is a goal scorer not a also ran. We seem to do the same thing with our subs, always players that are not good enough. When will Eddie take a gamble ? We don't have the games left to keep doing the same thing if we want to stay in the premiership. Also Gosling is not a pl player , he is slow & gives the ball away rather a lot. We played very well didn't get any luck. If Fraser a-temp had gone in it might have been different.
The issue is, Surridge would have been asked to play out wide, is that his best position, is he better than solanke there?
Is a different question to if we had to take callum off

Genuinely perplexed as to why Eddie persists with Solanke, I might be missing it but is there even one positive attribute he possesses that could benefit the team? Poor touch, doesn’t win headers, tendency to overrun the ball, no ability to beat a man, doesn’t hold the ball up, doesn’t create for others, no natural strikers instinct.... I could go on. I was willing him to do well earlier on in his time here, the odd flash of skill gave me hope, but he really is bloody hopeless.

No way could Rico play left wing. He is a very defensive minded full back.

He was a wing back in Spain, check out his YouTube clips. I’m not saying I want him to play there often, just saying he would have been a better bet for replacing Stan than Solanke and he might not have taken Billing out...

Genuinely perplexed as to why Eddie persists with Solanke, I might be missing it but is there even one positive attribute he possesses that could benefit the team? Poor touch, doesn’t win headers, tendency to overrun the ball, no ability to beat a man, doesn’t hold the ball up, doesn’t create for others, no natural strikers instinct.... I could go on. I was willing him to do well earlier on in his time here, the odd flash of skill gave me hope, but he really is bloody hopeless.
He is absolutely w**k and getting worse not better. I watched him warming up the other week and he can’t even kick a ball straight. Liverpool fans are absolutely astounded our recruitment team thought he was worth 20m

The issue is, Surridge would have been asked to play out wide, is that his best position, is he better than solanke there?
Think any player is better than Solanke, how many goals has he scored ? He is supposed to be a striker. How many chances does he get! Rio Ferdinand said he was unaffective does very little to the result of a game.
There is no issue with Surridge, he is a striker that scores goals. Solanke has done what ? He was bought as a striker, played numerous times with very little affect. Rio Ferdinand said more or less the same thing ineffective. We have little more time & games. So at what point does Eddie take a chance with a different player who has scored goals for Swansea for bournemouth in the cup after a few mins after coming on as sub.

Potentially this could have smashed our already fragile confidence today. We lost, but we put in a performance which we can be proud of.
Lots of positives to take into the Palace game.
Also, could Kelly and Ake play together? Or is that a no-go as they're both left sided CBs.

Not only have you claimed Stacey has played in the centre back role, you’re also claiming he has more Premier league experience than Simpson.

It was unfortunate Simpson had to play on the wrong side of defence, but being the only CB on the bench, it was a like for like swap, although not an ideal one.
This is what I can't get my head around.
Everyone on the staff knows Simpson has limited experience so why wasn't he played on the left in his familiar position with the experienced Ake moving out of his preferred position to the right. This is something that we always used to do at my low level standard of the game.

Potentially this could have smashed our already fragile confidence today. We lost, but we put in a performance which we can be proud of.
Lots of positives to take into the Palace game.
Also, could Kelly and Ake play together? Or is that a no-go as they're both left sided CBs.
We might see it sometime in the coming weeks. Would think Eddie will pair them in training and see.

As with all the other combinations we've had to throw together, it's the sort of question you want to answer in pre-season, not at the ar*e end of a relegation battle because you've little or no choice.

Yawn.... yep, had Simpson not thought he was Maldini twice, had Fraser’s lob been a little harder, had Wilson been able to score from three yards, had Solanke not gone in like David Batty on his team mates when he goes in like Nora Batty on opponents then we could have got a point. Take individual errors out of all our games and we would be challenging Liverpool for that title. Nothing wrong then is there.... I must be holding my newspaper upside down....

as we're talking individual errors, no word of lewis cook's calamitous pass for their second then?
had the whole of their half to chip the ball into and give fraser a free run at goal, chose to shin it at him and get intercepted
can't remember him assisting any assists this week either....
taking selective commentary to new levels.....

We were playing badly and getting humped. We have played well in the last four games and got one point. We have given so many goals away this season it’s mind boggling.

Ultimately we are playing too many players who are not at this level and never really have been... Simpson, Stanislas, Gosling, Solanke shouldn’t be on the pitch at this level and it shows.

Our inability to make the squad right despite time and money and our inability to get players match fit will be the reason we go down if we do.
I know I'll never change your mind, but how negative are you? You have little to say on what was a pretty good performance against a team unbeaten at home for ages.

Anyone can write a simple formula for playing better. Good god you do it every week. But doing it in real life, with all the unknown nuances and events is a hell of a lot harder. Coping with injuries, player psychology, perhaps not the funds to buy players we really want.

Simpson made a mistake which was capitalised on by two of the best strikers in the League. Poor bloke must be really feeling it right now. The whole team gave their all. Those of us not in their ivory tower applauded them for what was a good performance. This wasn't a Palace away.

I agree everyone gave their all. Jack Simpson clearly lacks the experience and Eddie is culpable here for making the wrong decision in my view.

I don’t understand why he didn’t move Stacey into the right centre back position, move Smith over to the right and bring on Rico. At least there would have been some experience in that lineup. Very frustrating.
Did you say that when Simpson came on?

;