Luton - The Verdict

Not sure what JT or anyone expected Solanke to do, up front on his own without another cherries shirt within 30-40 yards. That front 3 system works when the wide men are advanced enough to support. Brooks and Stanislas never got in the game and were rightly withdrawn.
Solanke now knows how Callum felt last season and gave a performance to suit

Reflecting on the game, I would say Luton couldn't have played much better, testing crosses, shots, and one decent shout for penalty (although without benefit of replay he looked off side).

In contrast, we all agree we can play better.

Our tactics were sound and we looked a threat for first 15-20, but the whole tactic relied on keeping it simple once we got the other side of their press. It fell down with wasteful holding on to it, sloppy passing, and at times slowing it down.

'That' shot on target that many forgot, the harmless free kick, come backpass to their goalie then seemed to sum us up. Rather than play for the percentages that would pay off from the overwhelming possession we were too cute despite the pitch. Low ratings for Stanislas and Brooks are warranted, but it hampered everything else that was supposed to go through them. JT might have been better advised to pull off the front three at half time and get 3 players willing to pass and move more effectively.

No doubts on Bego MOTM. Defensively Simpson was the stand out, but Smith seemed to be too far off his player when defending and S Cook had one if his poorer games.

Special mention for L Cook. Watched Match of Day, where it was noted the work Henderson does to cover full backs. Lewis played well, survived a few hospital passes, but his covering for Kelly in the first half was like Henderson, of the highest quality.

Finally, I expect squad will get over the result quicker than us and bounce back Boxing day. Hope they enjoy a good and deserved Christmas.

AFCB are used to playing on fairly decent pitches. Luton play on that rubbish every home game and have adapted their style to compensate. We struggle on ploughed fields.
I fear a lot of teams may recognise that and either water their pitch to a paddy field or let the grass grow knee high to counteract our style

Reflecting on the game, I would say Luton couldn't have played much better, testing crosses, shots, and one decent shout for penalty (although without benefit of replay he looked off side).

In contrast, we all agree we can play better.

Our tactics were sound and we looked a threat for first 15-20, but the whole tactic relied on keeping it simple once we got the other side of their press. It fell down with wasteful holding on to it, sloppy passing, and at times slowing it down.

'That' shot on target that many forgot, the harmless free kick, come backpass to their goalie then seemed to sum us up. Rather than play for the percentages that would pay off from the overwhelming possession we were too cute despite the pitch. Low ratings for Stanislas and Brooks are warranted, but it hampered everything else that was supposed to go through them. JT might have been better advised to pull off the front three at half time and get 3 players willing to pass and move more effectively.

No doubts on Bego MOTM. Defensively Simpson was the stand out, but Smith seemed to be too far off his player when defending and S Cook had one if his poorer games.

Special mention for L Cook. Watched Match of Day, where it was noted the work Henderson does to cover full backs. Lewis played well, survived a few hospital passes, but his covering for Kelly in the first half was like Henderson, of the highest quality.

Finally, I expect squad will get over the result quicker than us and bounce back Boxing day. Hope they enjoy a good and deserved Christmas.
See for Stanislas and brooks tried to pass and move.

if I were the manager yesterday second half I would have perhaps gone for a more 442 but having two wide players that were prepared to take on the full backs and get in behind the defenders

Begovic out to Kelly, Kelly puts foot on ball passes sideways to Simpson who passes to Cook who then lays it back to Begovic. Then it all starts again round and round and round.
How many times did that happen yesterday ?
No wonder it was a 0-0 game.

Our style of play favours a smooth, well-groomed pitch. Given the lower standards for Championship pitches (undersoil heating, special lighting), the next month or two will be the most critical part of the season to get through (given that the winter solstice is tomorrow).
As days get longer and temps warm up, even crappy pitches will get better and we'll be able to play our game better.

Our style of play favours a smooth, well-groomed pitch. Given the lower standards for Championship pitches (undersoil heating, special lighting), the next month or two will be the most critical part of the season to get through (given that the winter solstice is tomorrow).
As days get longer and temps warm up, even crappy pitches will get better and we'll be able to play our game better.

The perfect pitches didn't stop us getting relegated last season though did they?

I really don't get the pitch argument as a reason/ excuse. We had the same ponderous build up play in the Premier League against opposition that was setup to nullify us.

For me the three main attacking outlets (Solanke, Brooks, Stan) all looked knackered, about a yard off the pace and unable to pass a ball in a straight line. Not really surprising due to the number of high intensity games they have played lately. It should have been a game to rest those players and bring in fresher legs.

Begovic out to Kelly, Kelly puts foot on ball passes sideways to Simpson who passes to Cook who then lays it back to Begovic. Then it all starts again round and round and round.
Kelly did exactly the same thing vs Wycombe multiple times. It drove me mad.

I think the issue was a combination of us being pressed high, limiting the forward passing options, and not having anyone to stretch the Luton defence (until Surridge came on) to counter this high press. At Barnsley we adapted to the high press by playing two forwards and looking to hit the channels with great success by exploiting the spaces in behind. Yesterday we played right into their hands with the way we set up. In fairness to JT he did eventually try to rectify this but by that point the game had become such a scrappy encounter that it was too late. Imo for us to be effective consistently we need some kind of threat running in behind the opposition defence.

I think the issue was a combination of us being pressed high, limiting the forward passing options, and not having anyone to stretch the Luton defence (until Surridge came on) to counter this high press. At Barnsley we adapted to the high press by playing two forwards and looking to hit the channels with great success by exploiting the spaces in behind. Yesterday we played right into their hands with the way we set up. In fairness to JT he did eventually try to rectify this but by that point the game had become such a scrappy encounter that it was too late. Imo for us to be effective consistently we need some kind of threat running in behind the opposition defence.
Barnsley played a ridiculously high line which Sam and Dom were able to exploit.... As we saw yesterday when we switched to the same formatiom with Sam... those balls down the channel were cut out.....Luton didn't leave any grass for those runs in behind and didn't commit the stupid defensive errors Barnsley did either..... two completely different games...not comparable in any way.

Last edited:

;