Non - Brexit

Correct me if I'm wrong but the UK had the world's largest bank - The Midland - and was the world's largest exporter BEFORE joining the EEC/Common Market/EC/EU
rgb - OK - the Midland became HSBC - mainly based in the Far East.
So using your example of ONE company - we shouldn't have joined the EEC in the first place? :confused:

I did not mean it like that. Back then there was genuine concern with the wording of the text. It was written like one lawyer would to another. It was not the issue that was complex, it was the way it was worded.

Well the Irish are obviously brighter than us . Apparently if you listen half the remainer talking heads and quite a few posters on here even the choices “leave” or “ remain “ were too tricky for our tiny brains .

Don't think there was too much objection to joining the EEC at the time, the referendum in 1975 showed a 67/33 in favour vote on a turnout of 64%. However the EEC then was a vastly different beast to what it is now, back then most viewed it as simply a free trade type organisation not a multi faceted political bureaucracy.

Of course if the original vote had gone the other way even by a solitary vote the wording of the question would have been deemed by the EU to be well written and understandable.
No not at all. It would not be a sufficient majority. Also, it was for the ROI to decide, not the EU. The Treaty brought together a number of existing treaties in one. This was not a vote to leave or stay, it was vote about reform. Both sides agreed in the fundamental EU constitution, both sides agreed in reform and both agreed the reform was necessary for continued expansion of the EU. The ROI said no to the EU's initial version. This was amended and put back and voted on. This was the ROI saying to the EU, 'change your wording or this wont pass'. The EU then had to adapt.

Swings...Roundabouts....SeeSaws.......oh and the Oceans are rising as Ice melts....but we dont wanna know about that do we? As long as those with double-barrelled names and six bank accounts are OK!

Fast - forward a 100 years:
The Sea comes in across the flats of Lincolnshire...Scunthorpe disappears... and then a series of islands are created across Britain....more Backstops in the next Century ?
But dont worry......those that are destined to survive ...will have feathered their nests in the high trees...Pah!

I'm not wrong:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_the_United_Kingdom#1945–1951:_Age_of_Austerity
in 1947 British exports were equivalent in value to the combined exports of France, West Germany, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg.[203]
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Midland-Bank-PLC
Midland Bank PLC, former British bank, once one of the largest in the world, that became part of HSBC Holdings in 1992.

If you mean at some point in history Britain had the world's largest exports I wouldn't dispute that but I also wouldn't understand the point you were making. The world was such a different place in those times and changing rapidly, even between the 1947 you mentioned and 1973 when we joined the EEC. The world economy of the immediate post-war period totally different to that 25 years later. I understood you to be making a reference to the period up to joining the EU given the discussion but fair enough, I'll happily admit at some point in the past the UK was the world's largest exporter.

Having said that, I very much doubt UK exports matched the US in 1947 though.

If you mean at some point in history Britain had the world's largest exports I wouldn't dispute that but I also wouldn't understand the point you were making. The world was such a different place in those times and changing rapidly, even between the 1947 you mentioned and 1973 when we joined the EEC. The world economy of the immediate post-war period totally different to that 25 years later. I understood you to be making a reference to the period up to joining the EU given the discussion but fair enough, I'll happily admit at some point in the past the UK was the world's largest exporter.

Having said that, I very much doubt UK exports matched the US in 1947 though.

http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/wess/wess_archive/searchable_archive/1951_WESS_Full.pdf

Sorry kirsikka old boy, US exports were 230, UK exports were 263.

Edited to add:
1951 was the year the UK was the world's largest exporter AND The Midland Bank was the world's largest bank.

http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/wess/wess_archive/searchable_archive/1951_WESS_Full.pdf

Sorry kirsikka old boy, US exports were 230, UK exports were 263.

Edited to add:
1951 was the year the UK was the world's largest exporter AND The Midland Bank was the world's largest bank.

That makes my eyes hurt. Which page?

The point still stands that the economy then had little to do with the UK and EU as 25 years later things were very different in the world.

;