Non - Brexit

She Was elected !...if not someone else would be in the job!

When she was Home Sec. and way back before that I didn't like her but always thought she had more about her than the average Tory...she seemed more canny and ahead of the others. Very secretive and diversional with her beliefs, calculating by the minute as well as long term. She appears to dither but it's a screen!

I can't see why there would be a general election in 2019. Why would the Tories do that? It was risky enough anyway but they have absolutely destroyed their base over the last 24 hours so they are better off leaving it as long as possible if you ask me.
She may not have a choice. If Corbyn can get through a vote of no confidence, an election will happen.

I think all sensible people will agree that the result of a second vote has to be honoured whatever the outcome:

So people MUST accept a second vote but it's OK to disregard the first vote, and no-one's allowed a third if they don't like the result of the second?

Brilliant! :rofl:

If anyone doesn't accept a vote then equally they can't expect others to respect a further vote.

If you had your way we'd be re-running and re-running every bloody election going - Parish Councils, MEPs, MPs... even sodding Strictly!

Can't see second vote happening, at the time I suppose they could have put another vote in or planned it better, but it was what it was. The Tories have unleashed Brexit on us - but the most likely option is a delayed exit, a Norway type deal and then a recession. Just going to be crap whoever is in power.

Anyway - what a lovely morning it is :grinning:

We got the 'first' (depending on when you start counting) referendum because a party stood at a General Election with a manifesto for it, and won that election. Thus we had the referendum. That is the correct way to go about it. Just like we got the AV referendum because the Lib Dems in 2010 stood on a manifesto for electoral reform and won a share of power. And Scotland had their Independence referendum because the SNP won the right to call that referendum in Elections.

Only the Lib Dems stood explicitly on a manifesto of re-running the referendum at the last election, and made very little progress. However it's entirely possible with this effective minority government situation we now have, that another General Election will occur at some point well before the currently scheduled 2022.

So the test of any national appetite should be: who stands on a re-run manifesto (I'm sure Lib Dems will, Labour is the bigger question) and how they get on. If we do have a re-run, that's the correct way to go about it.

As much as I don't want a re-run, it's hard to argue much about a re-run 'betraying democracy' or whatever soundbite you wish, if a party has first stood and won some power based on proposing it.

Last edited:
We got the 'first' (depending on when you start counting) referendum because a party stood at a General Election with a manifesto for it, and won that election. Thus we had the referendum. That is the correct way to go about it. Just like we got the AV referendum because the Lib Dems in 2010 stood on a manifesto for electoral reform and won a share of power. And Scotland had their Independence referendum because the SNP won the right to call that referendum in Elections.

Only the Lib Dems stood explicitly on a manifesto of re-running the referendum at the last election, and made very little progress. However it's entirely possible with this effective minority government situation we now have, that another General Election will occur at some point well before the currently scheduled 2022.

So the test of any national appetite should be: who stands on a re-run manifesto (I'm sure Lib Dems will, Labour is the bigger question) and how they get on. If we do have a re-run, that's the correct way to go about it.

As much as I don't want a re-run, it's hard to argue much about a re-run 'betraying democracy' or whatever soundbite you wish, if a party has first stood and won some power based on proposing it.

This is the minimum requirement for a second referendum as far as I'm concerned.

We have had the referendum..and a result! The mathematic doesn't require all the unqualified teachers on here to constantly shove more homework questions on the blackboard.
Rules and regulations coming at us like gunfire( on a mere Forum about one Referendum)....that intensity of bureaucracy on a bigger scale from the E U is precisely why many voted to Leave....hasn't that sunk in yet....do you want more....do you punks...do you?

Corbyn? What is a man, what has he got....and exactly how is he gonna do it his way.....we don't know do we, because wrapped up in all his rhetoric is a tangible Nothing....or an intangible something ?
It's all Not There folks!

If you had your way we'd be re-running and re-running every bloody election going - Parish Councils, MEPs, MPs... even sodding Strictly!

What, you mean those votes we always re-run, some even annually? Nice argument.

Next you'll be pretending the 2016 vote was the first vote on this subject so you dont have to accept that it was already the second vote and can have a stance that we shouldnt have a second third. Oh wait....

Corbyn? What is a man, what has he got....and exactly how is he gonna do it his way.....we don't know do we, because wrapped up in all his rhetoric is a tangible Nothing....or an intangible something ?
It's all Not There folks!

Thanks for clearing that up Bill :cool:

;