Non- Dorset councils

Local councils these days, will charge you for breathing in fresh and for walking on a public foot path if they could get away with it.
Even by your standards this is an incredibly stupid thing to say. When the BCP council's budget is published in February, it will be painful. The last administration spent virtually all the reserves and there is a £50 million gap that has to be filled if the the BCP Council is to present a balanced budget. The government, in its infinite wisdom increased the living wage, but gave no support to any councils. At the last full council meeting only 7 Tories turned up and even then tried to insert a wrecking amendment. If the government continues to treat local councils in this way, no matter what the colour, there will be hundreds going bust.

The driver is responsible for the speed of the car on the road.

If the car is too difficult to drive safely it needs replacing.

Wiped out earlier. Risk you take when driving like a tit I guess...

As a side note, I reckon you have cameras installed in your car, and never go 1 mph over the limit. Perhaps sometimes you do, hey, who doesn't. But probably causes you mild anxiety for a little bit after ;)

Put your foot to the floor in a car with 100% torque at zero RPM and sub 4 secs to 62 and the novelty quickly wears off ;) I love Florida rollercoasters but I wouldnt want to do Rock 'n' Roller coater every day ;)

Maybe im just an old git now but I prefer blood being at the front of my head.

Novelty wears off as it's an andodine experience;) sterile. As much as I hate to use it as it can be construed as vague... ev lacks soul.

If you're properly into cars, novelty of being in a decent (ICE) high performance rarely gets old. Not for prolonged periods anyway. And yes, most people into cars do like the sound of a straight 6, v8, v12 etc. It's not all about 0 to 60... ;). No chance I'm selling my m3 f80 yet, I'll swoop for m3 g80 when prices come down in 2/3 years;) sound mate... Big part of it...turn the engine on... 3 years ownership and still love it... it's just a car end of the day, but... novelty certainly hasn't worn off fir me 3years down the line :)

BTW I had an bmw i4 loan car for a day or so a month back. Very refined, and if I wasn't a 'petrolhead' and looking fir comfortable, refined way too travel... I'd absolutely recommend them... all tge charging/range malarkey aside. Totally silent, comfortable. And my daughter loved it as coukd change the interior light trims to a load of colours. (Weirdly teal is her favourite, having been pink all her life until a couple of months back;)). Over priced of course, but drive was faultless, so refined.

We preferred Hagrids roller coaster btw. Think we went on it 4 times during our last visit r:).number 1 was the velocer raptor (sp?).my daughter loved it, and didn't notice it went upside down until afterwards lol. Now she's firmly refusing to go on it when we return. So smooth and... fast :D. I'll get her on there with some bribe though. AFCB shoukd look at girls under 10 to replace Blake imo. Girls at my daughters school negotiation skills, will power is something to behold!

Theyd put @Neil Dawson his place anyway. Another Evian girls ;)

Last edited:
We preferred Hagrids roller coaster btw. Think we went on it 4 times during our last visit r:).number 1 was the velocer raptor (sp?).my daughter loved it, and didn't notice it went upside down until afterwards lol. Now she's firmly refusing to go on it when we return. So smooth and... fast :D.
Islands of adventure, best theme park in the world right now.

Even by your standards this is an incredibly stupid thing to say. When the BCP council's budget is published in February, it will be painful. The last administration spent virtually all the reserves and there is a £50 million gap that has to be filled if the the BCP Council is to present a balanced budget. The government, in its infinite wisdom increased the living wage, but gave no support to any councils. At the last full council meeting only 7 Tories turned up and even then tried to insert a wrecking amendment. If the government continues to treat local councils in this way, no matter what the colour, there will be hundreds going bust.

Not just councils. We run a day care centre fully funded through Local authorities and NHS.

National Minimum wage due to go up by ~10% again, twice in a row. Local authority rate went up by 5%. NHS rate went up by 5% but 1.3% of that we had to find with "efficiency savings". No idea yet what this years uplift will be, but I know what it is likely to be.

Do more with less. Something somewhere will go pop at some point

Its horrendous. :(
It is. Broadly speaking, there is something called a 'Safety Valve' for children's education, this means the government says the Council can, for a period of time, ignore children's education in the council's budget and increase spending for kids. The problem is that the money has to be borrowed and it will have to be paid back sooner of later.

The government's scheme is a bit like a house owner going to the bank, asking for an overdraft and then going back to the bank and asking for a further overdraft because you know you can't pay the first one. Both parties, bank and borrower know that eventually the Bank will come for your house. The only difference is BCP will, if the government doesn't do something, go bust. Adminstrators will come in and then the pain will really start.

Central government knows this, your local MPs know this and the previous BCP administration knew this but they chose to use the reserves to balance the budget which is why there is no money left, because they did not have the courage to balance the budget. What they did was not illegal but it was immoral.

One further point to make is that Council Tax is being used for items of child care and possibly vulnerable adult care that it was never designed for. Some kids, deservedly, literally have a million pounds a year each, spent on them because the government said local authorities were responsible, but never gave any financial support.

National Minimum Wage going up 20% in 2 years is good for employees but above all good for the government. Perception is that the Government have awarded the money and, double bubble, tax receipts go up so they can bribe voters with a general election coming up.

Only the employers are losers. Bring on the middle class revolution.

On a tangent made me chuckle a Reading fan describing their matches against Fulham as "El Middle Classico".

National Minimum Wage going up 20% in 2 years is good for employees but above all good for the government. Perception is that the Government have awarded the money and, double bubble, tax receipts go up so they can bribe voters with a general election coming up.

On a tangent made me chuckle a Reading fan describing their matches against Fulham as "El Middle Classico".
Agree its good overall. Although some employers have to find a large sum of additional revenue which does add pressure.

Agree its good overall. Although some employers have to find a large sum of additional revenue which does add pressure.

About £15k a month of pressure.

Not looking for sympathy just setting the scene that increasing the national minimum wage won't help those that get made redundant to pay it. Not where we are at but I know others that are. Ultimately it means a reduced service for clients.

Government +++
Employees that keep their job +
Employers -
Clients ---
Employees that lose their job -----

Not looking for sympathy just setting the scene that increasing the national minimum wage won't help those that get made redundant to pay it. Not where we are at but I know others that are. Ultimately it means a reduced service for clients.

Government +++
Employers -
Clients ---
Agree.

The employers will just add it on to the costs of things., so then Joe public gets hit again.

Government +++
Employers -
Clients ---

Yeah it's a tough one. Saw an example before that outlined it well a few years back. Minimum wage goes up... so does the cost of everything else.

It is. Broadly speaking, there is something called a 'Safety Valve' for children's education, this means the government says the Council can, for a period of time, ignore children's education in the council's budget and increase spending for kids. The problem is that the money has to be borrowed and it will have to be paid back sooner of later.

The government's scheme is a bit like a house owner going to the bank, asking for an overdraft and then going back to the bank and asking for a further overdraft because you know you can't pay the first one. Both parties, bank and borrower know that eventually the Bank will come for your house. The only difference is BCP will, if the government doesn't do something, go bust. Adminstrators will come in and then the pain will really start.

Central government knows this, your local MPs know this and the previous BCP administration knew this but they chose to use the reserves to balance the budget which is why there is no money left, because they did not have the courage to balance the budget. What they did was not illegal but it was immoral.

One further point to make is that Council Tax is being used for items of child care and possibly vulnerable adult care that it was never designed for. Some kids, deservedly, literally have a million pounds a year each, spent on them because the government said local authorities were responsible, but never gave any financial support.

The cost of placements for children in care has rocketed. Many companies in recent years bought by hedge funds and some placemats can be £10,000 a week. More children in care also over recent years, many reasons but one is the response to Baby P. Another is young people aged 15/16 unable to live at home for a variety of reasons. Austerity/ poor and temporary housing added to pressures in some families leading to teenagers coming into care. No additional government money is available for these costs.

The employers will just add it on to the costs of things., so then Joe public gets hit again.
Not so for us. We get told how much rates go up by. Not negotiable unless we do the nuclear option of saying clients cant attend unless rates go up by x%. May result in clients having no care. Not why we set up the centre.

;