Non - Pandemic

From the BBC who I think have given the most balanced/sensible coverage without trying to cause panic.

We've just heard from the head of the World Health Organization (WHO), who issued a stark warning to young people about the virus.

"One of the things we are learning is that although older people are the hardest hit, younger people are not spared," Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters in Geneva.

"Data from many countries clearly shows that people under 50 make up a significant proportion of patients requiring hospitalisation.

"Today, I have a message for young people: you are not invincible. This virus could put you in hospital for weeks, or even kill you"

He added: "Even if you don’t get sick, the choices you make about where you go could be the difference between life and death for someone else."

Last edited:
From the BBC who I think have given the most balanced/sensible coverage without trying to cause panic.

We've just heard from the head of the World Health Organization (WHO), who issued a stark warning to young people about the virus.

"One of the things we are learning is that although older people are the hardest hit, younger people are not spared," Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters in Geneva.

"Data from many countries clearly shows that people under 50 make up a significant proportion of patients requiring hospitalisation.

"Today, I have a message for young people: you are not invincible. This virus could put you in hospital for weeks, or even kill you"

He added: "Even if you don’t get sick, the choices you make about where you go could be the difference between life and death for someone else."
Unfortunately BTK I think the implied message to the young in all countries has been that it is a disease that is dangerous for the sick and elderly. Now this is clearly true and it was right to state that but the effect has been to give younger people the impression they can carry on as normal with the party lifestyle at w/ends etc. I know that would have been my take on it were I still in my teens or twenties. Closing the bars, and clubs etc is going to be a big wake up call for all.

Interesting the way this whole situation and the thread itself has developed. Didn't the Brexit thread start off with a 'it won't happen no need to panic undertone', to a 'The sky is falling in we're all doomed overtone' to a 'well we've survived that what next' conclusion.

With a load of complete and utter bollox spouted in between ;)

Has it outdone SARS and Bird flu yet ?

Interesting the way this whole situation and the thread itself has developed. Didn't the Brexit thread start off with a 'it won't happen no need to panic undertone', to a 'The sky is falling in we're all doomed overtone' to a 'well we've survived that what next' conclusion.

I know its not your intention to suggest otherwise, but one of those is a lot more serious than the other.

Infographic from today’s Corriere Della Sera, the main newspaper in Milan, showing the number and spread of diagnosed cases and deaths (“Deceduti”). Deaths are shown by age and gender (“Donna” is woman, “Uomo” is man).

Granted public health facilities in Italy are generally terrible and mis managed, but this does show how COVID-19 is capable of spreading in Europe. The areas in Northern Italy affected are neither poor nor over crowded.

View attachment 2845

22 days ago :eek:

Going to get my coat and hide after saying that I thought that the Chancellor Rishi Sunak came across really well today, and I'm impressed with the package he has put out there.
Don't know much about the guy but he has come across pretty well so far. No need to hide, honest opinions are always worth expressing even if it is for "the other side" ;)

It would be good if in these testing times that party politics could be put aside for the good of the country and all pull together. So far it seems to be going that way and I hope it continues.

Unfortunately BTK I think the implied message to the young in all countries has been that it is a disease that is dangerous for the sick and elderly. Now this is clearly true and it was right to state that but the effect has been to give younger people the impression they can carry on as normal with the party lifestyle at w/ends etc. I know that would have been my take on it were I still in my teens or twenties. Closing the bars, and clubs etc is going to be a big wake up call for all.

I'm hearing over here that if a young'un got a bad dose of it, and recovered, the lungs could still get pretty f***ed up for years to come.

It would be good if in these testing times that party politics could be put aside for the good of the country and all pull together. So far it seems to be going that way and I hope it continues.

Same sentiment makes sense for over here. Hostilities do seem to be a bit muted right now, but I imagine that that will be very temporary.

I know its not your intention to suggest otherwise, but one of those is a lot more serious than the other.

I'm more talking forum dynamics Rob. It hasn't quite hit the heights of the 'Not fit to wear the shirt thread' but in an Al style way having been put firmly back in my box a few weeks back by a certain Individual I'll be asking for an honest assessment of how he and his highly paid colleagues got it so wrong. I'll spare it for now as we can't see any sign of a conclusion or end to this. When its over expect some serious RH type questioning ;)

When I heard it on the actual news from a reporter they were saying the WHO were trying to say that the younger people were NOT taking it seriuosly.

Which only makes you wonder how far out Johnson will

Which only goes to show how far out Johnson will be with his “ we’ll get it done in 12 weeks” prediction.

At least our comedically-haired leader appears to occasionally listen to his advisers and isn't orange*

*Disclaimer: Orange in colour, let's not drag that type of sectarianism into this, things are already not great on either this thread or reality...

M.D. - Private Eye's doctor, who's column studies the NHS, government and health issues - usually berates the government (both Tories and Labour too) for their failures but said this...

'Many countries have taken much stricter measures than the UK, based on roughly the same evidence, which shows how uncertain the science is. We will only find out who it right after the event'.

He also described the government's hand-washing campaign as a 'roaring success' and reckons it could have also significantly reduced incidence of seasonal flu, food poisoning, hepatitis A, threadworm and pubic hair in Caesar salad!

Trying to make this situation political - by attacking Boris now when scientists across the planet don't know what the results might ultimately be - is shallow and pathetic.

Over the pond the orange one has announced he's planning to buy and distribute an anti-malaria drug, despite no evidence it will work against Covid-19.

I loathe Boris but, so far, he's been OK and appears to actually be following the advice of the experts (who I think most agree are impressive people).

Tomorrows Sun back page, not sure what’s worse, the fact that they think it’s worth reporting on or the fact £100k per week players are worried about playing 2/3 games in a weekA303E1D8-ABDD-4794-96FC-8207A96F80C8.jpeg

I wonder how 'names' are going onto the payroll of small businesses tonight to claim for the up to £2500 per person a month compo.

Let me guess, Taxi companies, takeaways and corner shops will suddenly be tripling their staff.... probably need an army of fraud Investigators to weed them out.

I wonder how 'names' are going onto the payroll of small businesses tonight to claim for the up to £2500 per person a month compo.

Let me guess, Taxi companies, takeaways and corner shops will suddenly be tripling their staff.... probably need an army of fraud Investigators to weed them out.
Just ask for proof that theyve been on the payroll?

Hopefully this relieves things for many.

;