Non - Pandemic

In the week up to May 28 COVID deaths represented just 0.97% of all UK deaths, the lowest percentage since March 2020. The vaccinations work, lift lockdown.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...id-vaccine-lockdown-june-restrictions-indian/

I just saw a headline for The Times, where they suggest the Brother Doom are giving a 'grim' report to Boris and that June 21st will be delayed between two weeks and a month.

They must have data that nobody in public has seen if that is the case. When the levels have been below their own best case lines for weeks now, how the heck can they think anything coming up is grim??

If in 2019 the public were told we would lockdown for an illness that kills less than 1% of those who get it, they would all be up in arms. We now have people that think its something to keep hiding away from.

I just saw a headline for The Times, where they suggest the Brother Doom are giving a 'grim' report to Boris and that June 21st will be delayed between two weeks and a month.

They must have data that nobody in public has seen if that is the case. When the levels have been below their own best case lines for weeks now, how the heck can they think anything coming up is grim??

If in 2019 the public were told we would lockdown for an illness that kills less than 1% of those who get it, they would all be up in arms. We now have people that think its something to keep hiding away from.

Apparently we've also got people suffering 'mental anguish' from wearing a little bit of cloth over their mouth. Wonder what 2019 people would have made of that.

Update from the coal face.

Spoke to my sister in law who runs a vaccine centre in Southampton area.

They are cutting back on the number of jabs per day due to non NHS staff shortages.

The vast majority of those involved are non contract agency workers.

After many months of working flat out, many are taking a holiday.

Not a crisis, but a real problem for her.

...I guess it is a numbers game of vaccinations v covid spread (especially the delta variant)..Boris is in a no win situation because if we come out on June 21 and infections do rise tthne more measures will be required...if we don't then economists will rightly be agitated about businesses etc...
I think he will compromise and have a two week delay to see if vaccinations can catch up through the yeargroups and more have their second jabs..not sure its a decision that can be made without the forecast from the viriologists and scientists who have no political standing only to protect human life?

Update from the coal face.

Spoke to my sister in law who runs a vaccine centre in Southampton area.

They are cutting back on the number of jabs per day due to non NHS staff shortages.

The vast majority of those involved are non contract agency workers.

After many months of working flat out, many are taking a holiday.

Not a crisis, but a real problem for her.
get the army in like they did earlier.

...I guess it is a numbers game of vaccinations v covid spread (especially the delta variant)..Boris is in a no win situation because if we come out on June 21 and infections do rise tthne more measures will be required...if we don't then economists will rightly be agitated about businesses etc...
I think he will compromise and have a two week delay to see if vaccinations can catch up through the yeargroups and more have their second jabs..not sure its a decision that can be made without the forecast from the viriologists and scientists who have no political standing only to protect human life?

A fair comment and I honestly do get what you say.

I think the issue is.....people feel this Indian variant issue has been vastly overstated, like all the previous scares ...Kent, Brazil, etc etc. We get variants all the time, so the question will be, at what point do they decide to be brave and get life going again?

Also remember Hancock stating clearly that once the vulnerable had been protected - which was weeks ago now - we should 'cry freedom'. And then goalposts keep changing. The other niggle many have, is that SAGE have been wrong so many times along the way, frustration is heightening all the time at how they seem to make the decisions. [ again, we are below their own best case lines and have been for a while ] Especially when we know the death rates are now tiny [ sad for all but tiny ] and that hospitalisations are very stable, even in places such as Bolton, where they had a small rise in cases. Younger people who may end up going in for treatment, are strong enough in the main to come back out again within a few days.

We now have whole industries who are crying out for normal life again, as in, all restrictions going, as they can never survive long term with half capacities. While some may say quite correctly how important saving lives are, we also know that poverty kills in the longer term. Mental health has also crashed and could take years to recover from, if ever. If we really did have to delay [ and I cannot see any reason why we should but.....] at least ending the mask mandate could help mental health instantly. Millions are likely to just refuse to wear them after the 21st anyway so make it official and then let people decide what is best for their own circumstances.

Yes the figures are one thing, but that was only ever half the story, the other was making sure the NHS isn't overrun. It needs to cope with day to day non Covid issues. In some ways Covid is a 'controllable' with lockdowns and social distancing etc..where other diseases aren't.

It's a total pain in the ****************, but I feel they will delay the full opening up a month or so, in any rate there is bound to be a small 3rd wave, supressed by the vaccinations. Most people's can do what they want to - another small delay won't cause massive problems to many people. Bad for the hospitality business obviously.

Does it really matter that much if infections rise ? The key is how many get seriously ill and require hospitalisation and the evidence so far is that vaccinations are keeping those numbers very low. Hopefully it will stay that way and they will be driven by that data and not a screaming media.

The diagram is oversimplified. It suggests that the virus keeps spreading until herd immunity is reached, one way or another; if that was the case, there would only be one big wave. This didn't happen with Spanish flu in 1918, which had three waves.

3rd wave was lots smaller than the other two on the graph I saw. Presume it will be even smaller with Covid.

The diagram is oversimplified. It suggests that the virus keeps spreading until herd immunity is reached, one way or another; if that was the case, there would only be one big wave. This didn't happen with Spanish flu in 1918, which had three waves.

We have had manufactured waves due to restrictions. So can’t compare to Spanish flu in 1918...ignoring the other obvious point that this isn’t flu...

If anyone had told me in 2019 I had to put a mask on to walk 10 yards from my table in the pub to the toilet I would have thought they were crazy.

If someone had told me in 2019 that my 4 year old would be sat at home in his room in front of a laptop having live lessons on Microsoft teams I would have thought they were crazy.

;