Non - Pandemic

Of course its a factor. You can only judge the performance of someone against others in order to determine what was possible. I'm suggesting it was not possible or likely that any UK government would have been fully prepared. There's loads that this government got wrong but the fact that no government has performed well provides important context.
If carlsberg did flawed analysis.

The suggested comparison with other governments does not feature in any part of the UK civil contingencies act or uk national risk register it is figment of the imagination for those unable or unwilling to refer to published information.

The choice of being 0 or 99.99% prepared is a choice the government makes.

However well or badly some alternative government may have done is another distraction tactic

Its is possible to judge performance against predicted values how else do directors get their bonuses surely.

If carlsberg did flawed analysis.

The suggested comparison with other governments does not feature in any part of the UK civil contingencies act or uk national risk register it is figment of the imagination for those unable or unwilling to refer to published information.

The choice of being 0 or 99.99% prepared is a choice the government makes.

However well or badly some alternative government may have done is another distraction tactic

Its is possible to judge performance against predicted values how else do directors get their bonuses surely.

Sorry what are the predicted values you're judging pandemic preparedness against?

With Javid taking over as health secretary, is he really the best person for the job or just happened to be convenient at the time?

It saved the need for a cabinet reshuffle.

Javid is more an economist, so it will be interesting how he gets on in this job.

From my experience in my work life,it's usually just being covenient for the person.l've seen many people promoted over the best suited for the job ,due to many different reasons.

Anecdotal story, as I've had it recently. 1 Pfizer jab in me, Covid was 36 hours of feeling bloody rotten (imagine your worst hangover) followed by a bog standard cold like you'd get any winter. Drags on a bit, lingering like an annoyingly good opposition batting order.

My wife with her 2 AZ jabs, has spent the last 2 weeks stuck with me, living in the same rooms and breathing the same air, she's had zero symptoms and only had negative LFD results.

Jabs would seem to have helped. I hope all of you double jabbed folks can take some comfort. In this country I hope we can now live with this thing, as after all Covid isnt going away and will outlive us all.

Clearly parts of the rest of the world without such vaccine rollouts are going to need ongoing help and I hope we can assist there.

Me neither.

Found out yesterday that two people I know have got it.

Both in their fifties, both double vaccinated.

One poorly at home, one in hospital on oxygen.

I'm really not sure this is anywhere near 'over'

Not leveling this as you but I've seen a bunch of very blasé people completely change their tune when it hits a little closer to home.

Full blown "plandemic" types who suddenly decide they no longer have health reasons not to wear a mask and are much more shy about going to the pub.

I wonder if it would be a different story if Matt Hancock was still in the job?

Still will wait and see what is actually said at 5 pm.

All about opinions, as we have seen on this forum, there have been different views over the handling of this virus and when restrictions etc should be lifted.

As for wearing masks, they are to protect other people and not just yourself.

Personally will be avoiding pubs inside and will on the occasions we go for a meal be eating outside.

Not missed the shops, been using home shopping and will continue to do so.

Went to our local nursery the other day and everything was outside including the desk where you pay, the lady was wearing a mask.

Another larger nursery/garden centre on the road to Lymington do click and collect and bring your items to the car.

Think with cases still rising if they suddenly lift all restrictions it will be a mistake until more people have had the second jab.

We have had KBG’s post above on two people who have had both jabs but sadly have caught this virus, one is very poorly at home and the other is in hospital on oxygen.

Thought the jabs were supposed to prevent the latter.

Then we have Mark’s post above, unfortunately he caught it after one jab, but thankfully his wife who had two jabs is ok.

Last edited:
I wonder if it would be a different story if Matt Hancock was still in the job?

Still will wait and see what is actually said at 5 pm.

All about opinions, as we have seen on this forum, there have been different views over the handling of this virus and when restrictions etc should be lifted.

As for wearing masks, they are to protect other people and not just yourself.

Personally will be avoiding pubs inside and will on the occasions we go for a meal be eating outside.

Not missed the shops, been using home shopping and will continue to do so.

Went to our local nursery the other day and everything was outside including the desk where you pay.

Think with cases still rising if they suddenly lift all restrictions it will be a mistake until more people have had the second jab.

We have had KBG’s post above on two people who have had both jabs but sadly have caught this virus, one is very poorly at home and the other is in hospital on oxygen.

Thought the jabs were suppose to prevent the latter.

Then we have Mark’s post above, unfortunately he caught it after one jab, but thankfully his wife who had two jabs is ok.
No, the jabs reduce the risks significantly but they don't (yet) eliminate it.

Do we fully believe what is said or will the goal posts be moved before July 19th ?

I don’t think they will want to carry on having restrictions after that date as the Government know it will prove to be very unpopular given the crowds at sporting events etc but things can change quickly.

Do we fully believe what is said or will the goal posts be moved before July 19th ?

I don’t think they will want to carry on having restrictions after that date as the Government know it will prove to be very unpopular given the crowds at sporting events etc but things can change quickly.
I think July 19th will go ahead mostly speaking. There's a reason why the date is what it is: Parliament goes off on it's summer holidays a couple days later on 22nd. They won't want to impose restrictions on how they can act on their own holidays...

I think July 19th will go ahead mostly speaking. There's a reason why the date is what it is: Parliament goes off on it's summer holidays a couple days later on 22nd. They won't want to impose restrictions on how they can act on their own holidays...

That last line sums it up nicely.

Scientists raise warnings of new 'variant factories' ahead of PM's announcement

Experts have voiced concern about the prospect of ending restrictions at a time when cases have been rising.

Professor Susan Michie, an expert in health psychology and member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies which advises ministers, told The Guardian: "Allowing community transmission to surge is like building new 'variant factories' at a very fast rate."

Professor Stephen Reicher, from the University of St Andrews and a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) subcommittee on behavioural science, said it is "frightening" that Health Secretary Savid Javid "still thinks COVID is flu".

He added: "Above all, it is frightening to have a 'health' secretary who wants to make all protections a matter of personal choice when the key message of the pandemic is 'this isn't an 'I' thing, it's a 'we' thing.

"Your behaviour affects my health. Get your head around the 'we' concept."

Expert says he may continue to wear a mask – and it's not inevitable children will get jabbed

Legal restrictions on wearing face coverings are set to be scrapped after 19 July, as we're expected to hear from the PM later.

But Calum Semple, a professor of child health and outbreak medicine at the University of Liverpool a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), says he may continue to wear one.

He told Sky News: "I probably will in some settings, but it's got to be remembered that the mask-wearing is primarily to stop transmission rather than acquisition, so it's people that have got symptoms, who should really be staying at home, that are going to be the risk here, rather than the people walking around who are double-vaccinated. They're far less at risk."

The link between severe disease and hospital admission is "being broken from the cases in the community", he added.

He said: "There's proportionally far more people in hospital now under the age of 50, who mostly haven't been vaccinated, that are suffering moderate disease.“

Professor Semple also said he does not think it is inevitable that children will be vaccinated, saying they "are at incredibly low risk of severe acute disease, and we are now getting data on long COVID and children, and it is relatively uncommon, and it does get better over time".

He added: "So, even there the risks are low, whereas the safety data on children (regarding vaccines) is not entirely complete yet."

“Children are at incredibly low risk of severe acute disease.”

SAGE member, Professor Callum Semple says JCVI will make a ‘balanced decision’ over children getting vaccinated.

Last edited:

Ah yes ..

Would be some what hypocritical of them I guess!

;