Non - Petrol and Diesel new sales banned from 2030

I'm not bothered about climate change. It's unstoppable and even if it wasn't our species only has a set shelf life like every other species. If we become extinct so be it and we're heading for lots of wars one way or another anyway.

Is that on your bingo card Druss?

So as expected the bingo card has been filled up by those who most would accept are right wingers from previous posts on this forum.

My question is why? Why do the right wing fear EVs so much that they fail to research or delibraty state false information about them?

I'm not bothered about climate change. It's unstoppable and even if it wasn't our species only has a set shelf life like every other species. If we become extinct so be it and we're heading for lots of wars one way or another anyway.

Is that on your bingo card Druss?

No that one isnt...its on the WE'RE DOOOMED card Ive got over here...hang on...

Personally, I drive an EV because its simply better! Everything about it. The fact its not killing the kids in the school Im driving by is an added bonus.

So as expected the bingo card has been filled up by those who most would accept are right wingers from previous posts on this forum.

My question is why? Why do the right wing fear EVs so much that they fail to research or delibraty state false information about them?

I think that's b*llocks. A lot of the people on here aren't normal commentators on the political threads.

There are definitely challenges in producing batteries but there is a large net reduction in greenhouse gases which surely is the immediate goal to slow down climate change? We can recycle batteries and once the technology improves they will become cleaner to make and more efficient. That doesn't mean we should not do anything until we reach that point.

In this country we now generate more electricity from renewables than from fossil fuels. We are getting there.
Fully agree good advances have been made in bring in better sources and getting our present grid increasingly using them. That's citing the composition of present demand though.

A national grid serving millions of overnight charging EVs will be a very different national grid to the present day when demand peaks for morning and evening tea breaks. The national grid are obviously aware and worrying about this. It's comparing apples and oranges. I worry that cutting the timescale another 10 years short makes that job even harder and less achievable for the grid to deliver.

You can also add "They're silent and thus can cause people to get run over"

They all need to have a little chiming sound, like a demented ice cream wagon.

In all seriousness though, something needs to be done.
I came within an inch of being properly run over in Malta.
Quiet narrow side street, stepped straight out in front of a leccy car.
It was about then I realised how just much you use your ears when crossing the road.
They should be made to wear a collar with a bell.

I'd argue that conservation of our countryside and environment should absolutely play a roll and be a good fit in a Conservative government.

The debate is just a matter of how best we go about these things.

Let me check, I'll tell you the ICE cars I do like though.

Give me an M3/5, RS4/5/6, C63, ISF/GSF, Alfa Guila Quadrifoglio any day over them.

Agree, I'm hoping to get into an RCF before the lunatics take over the asylum ;).....These EV or bust guys kind of have this weird obsession, always pop up on various forums and threads like this never usually end well.

To abolish petrol cars now - even if money was no object - is not practical. Can't be done.

Look on this government policy as a target - which is all it ever can be. The ambition is to abolish petrol cars, but unless the technology is in place to make it practical in 2030, it's not going to happen. I hope!

Essentially, they need to find a way to recharge the fuel source as quickly and easily as they do with petrol. Hopefully that will happen before 2030.

Fully agree good advances have been made in bring in better sources and getting our present grid increasingly using them. That's citing the the composition of present demand though.

A national grid serving millions of overnight charging EVs will be a very different national grid to the present day when demand peaks for morning and evening tea breaks. The national grid are obviously aware and worrying about this. It's comparing apples and oranges. I worry that cutting the timescale another 10 years short makes that job even harder and less achievable for the grid to deliver.

Yes I share this fear. I naively hope that the government has some kind of joined up approach to phasing out of petrol and diesel and accounting for increased electricity demand but we'll see. If covid is anything to go by, make sure you stock up on emergency generators!

Let me try again as I've obviously worded it badly. I was responding to the complaints about how it would work for those that have street parking.

I was trying to make the point that this issue had to be solved here decades ago, long before EV were ever even a remote consideration, as ICE cars need to have their engines warmed to stop them getting screwed by the overnight temperatures.

Therefore, the complaints that about EV and street parking were eminently solvable as I've seen it in action, even if the current car plugging thing isn't for electric cars the infrastructure is in place to show it can work perfectly well.

I was supporting your point.
I think the problem is that a large part of Finland's solution is to have a large country with fewer people and a lot more room per house. Does Finland have a solution for plug-ins for a street of terraced houses with no driveways or front gardens?

Yes I share this fear. I naively hope that the government has some kind of joined up approach to phasing out of petrol and diesel and accounting for increased electricity demand but we'll see. If covid is anything to go by, make sure you stock up on emergency generators!
Weaning UK Governments off the current 28Bn annual petrol tax revenue during this phasing out, whilst at the same time accelerating the required spend and investment on the EV and power infrastructure, will be an interesting challenge.

Another reason why I felt happier with 2040 as the target to make that transition. Stretch targets are fine, why not over-achieve if you can, but make the 2030 policy an outright ban seems mistaken to me.

As you say, hopefully more detailed plans are in place beyond just the eye-catching 2030 headline. We will see indeed.

I think the problem is that a large part of Finland's solution is to have a large country with fewer people and a lot more room per house. Does Finland have a solution for plug-ins for a street of terraced houses with no driveways or front gardens?

The country is large and population relatively small but it's in no way spread evenly. The Greater Helsinki area can be quite dense in places. So, in answer to your question, yes.

Fully agree good advances have been made in bring in better sources and getting our present grid increasingly using them. That's citing the composition of present demand though.

The grid isnt worrying about this, they have stated MANY times that it will not be an issue. Please stop repeating something that is simply not true.

The issue for the grid is peaks and troughs. Producing electricity is not the issue. Once the grid has a connection to millions of batteries you remove the issue of high and low demand. Using electric cars makes running the nation grid easier not harder.

;