Non - Scottish Independence

There's so many issues to unpack.

Stan is right there are parallels with Brexit. The question being one of potential economic and political disruption in striving for greater autonomy. A divergence of world-view from your partners and a wish to chart your own course (even if that's straight to being absorbed by the EU as they hope, if the EU takes them, but that's another matter).

Blair signed Labour's parliamentary death warrant in starting devolution, as it makes Labour winning FPTP much harder without those red Scottish votes. And from that moment it starts a ball rolling that will probably end up in some form of separation eventually. Tory wins more often than not forever more in the current landscape doesn't help bring Scots into the fold.

If like last time, the next one goes No again, the raison d'etre of the SNP (and whatevers going on with Alba) doesn't go away. It's clear Scots broadly like voting for a party that is focused on Scottish issues (I don't blame them in that regard), even if some of them then get cold feet when it comes to going the whole hog. If the next one goes No I expect we'd just keep going round and round the circle every decade, until we all settle on some new arrangement.

Whether it would be possible to kill multiple birds with one stone and have a re-think about the whole way the UK is governed, be it FPTP, devolution (with different problems in Stormont, Holyrood and Senedd currently), EVEL and how England works, the fact Palace of Westminster is literally falling apart... I don't know. It's probably too radical to work there's no one obvious answer and we'd never agree on it.

If it came to it I'd wish them the best, but no more safety net or freebies paid from England and our nation debt is apportioned accordingly.

With the Brexit vote, expats abroad had the chance to have their say in it. With the last Scottish Indy vote, Scots living in the rUK did not have a chance to contribute. Sturgeon doesn't want them to because she's worried it'll bolster No. But seems only fair to me that they should have a say. Although I appreciate you then get into a problem of defining who is 'Scottish'. Born in Scotland seems fair. And then if the overall answer is Yes, then that's democracy in action.

Last edited:
Reasons for wanting to be independent from a larger body that makes decisions that aren’t solely based on your locality, yes that has context with leaving the EU.
But the relationship the UK had with the EU and the relationship Scotland has with the UK surely you can put those things in the same basket can you?

Let them have their independence I say. They can negotiate their own covid medication with Brussels. Let them implement the Euro and start subsidising some of the poorer countries in Europe. Oh and perhaps we can drop seeing the Scottish football results in final score like other European countries as its means nothing to us. Also stop seeing that Krankie woman on TV every other night like we care what she has to say.

Let them have their independence I say. They can negotiate their own covid medication with Brussels. Let them implement the Euro and start subsidising some of the poorer countries in Europe. Oh and perhaps we can drop seeing the Scottish football results in final score like other European countries as its means nothing to us. Also stop seeing that Krankie woman on TV every other night like we care what she has to say.
I think they would be one of the poorest countries

Congratulations on the most ludicrous comment yet.
Not at all! You wanted a second referendum, democracy doesn't work like that, as the Labour party found out to their cost. Let them have their say but if they're staying they should be subject to the same taxes as the rest of the UK.

If they want to leave then fine, but they should remember Leave means Leave. .......
No more subsidies from the English, no pound, no representation in the UK Parliament, move UK defence jobs and naval facilities to England etc etc. But if they want to do it then O.K. Thats not threatening them its just a fact.
Trident nuclear base in the solent or portland might not be popular with the nimby.

With the Brexit vote, expats abroad had the chance to have their say in it. With the last Scottish Indy vote, Scots living in the rUK did not have a chance to contribute. Sturgeon doesn't want them to because she's worried it'll bolster No. But seems only fair to me that they should have a say. Although I appreciate you then get into a problem of defining who is 'Scottish'. Born in Scotland seems fair. And then if the overall answer is Yes, then that's democracy in action.
Any policy of "immigrants aren't allowed to vote in an election however long they have lived here" is an absolute non-starter. Imagine it in a UK general election and see how it would be received.

Any policy of "immigrants aren't allowed to vote in an election however long they have lived here" is an absolute non-starter. Imagine it in a UK general election and see how it would be received.

It is exactly what happens in UK general elections and what happened in the Brexit referendum. The only people who can vote in UK general elections are UK or Republic of Ireland citizens. Non UK citizens can vote in local elections, provided they are registered to vote of course.

;