Non - Scottish Independence

I've always thought there should a vote for the English to decide whether they want Scotland to be part of the Union. I have to say I am not fussed either way . If they want to leave then let the leave. But, if they expect the EU to let them walk into being part of the EU straight away I think they'll be disappointed, the Scottish pound will become worthless, many of the subsidies received from Westminster will need to be stopped and any Jock who hasn't lived in England for more than 5 years should be sent back north of the border. I honestly don't know how they will survive being independent. My guess is as soon as they leave they will be banging on the English door for X, y and z.
I do have my doubts though when push comes to shove and the X needs to go in the leave box there will be a significant change of heart.

Voters in Scotland have become less enthusiastic about holding a referendum on independence in the next five years, a new poll for Sky News has found.

A new poll by Opinium found Nicola Sturgeon is on course to return as Scotland's first minister with a slim overall majority for the SNP.

However, the Sky News poll found that support for a referendum is now equally tied 50-50, once "don't knows" are excluded, down from 51-49 in the last Opinium poll.

The poll sampled 1,015 Scottish voters between 28 April and 3 May.

If the SNP win an overall majority on Thursday, the proportion who want a second independence referendum within five years - within the life of the next Scottish parliament - is 42%, down seven points since last month.

1620157236985.jpeg

https://news.sky.com/story/election...rendum-in-next-5-years-sky-news-poll-12296485

It is exactly what happens in UK general elections and what happened in the Brexit referendum. The only people who can vote in UK general elections are UK or Republic of Ireland citizens. Non UK citizens can vote in local elections, provided they are registered to vote of course.
I know the Windrush generation have had a rough time lately, but I don't think anyone has suggested they weren't allowed to vote in general elections or the Brexit vote.

There is no such thing as Scottish citizenship, of course, but even so I doubt they could get away with telling permanent residents that they cannot vote. The UK PM wouldn't allow it anyway.

It is exactly what happens in UK general elections and what happened in the Brexit referendum. The only people who can vote in UK general elections are UK or Republic of Ireland citizens. Non UK citizens can vote in local elections, provided they are registered to vote of course.

"Citizens" of the UK being the key word. Not born, grown up or have anything in common with the UK natives, just there talking in another language most of the time 5/10 years into their stay sticking out like a sore thumb because some pencil pushing sellout gave them citizenship for a vote. Not that I blame them but it shouldn't be our problem it should be the problem of those who gave the orders.

Last edited:
"Citizens" of the UK being the key word. Not born, grown up or have anything in common with the UK natives, just there talking in another language most of the time 5/10 years into their stay sticking out like a sore thumb because some pencil pushing sellout gave them citizenship for a vote. Not that I blame them but it shouldn't be our problem it should be the problem of those who gave the orders.

The orders to invade their home country 150 years ago?

In other words, I'm not a racist, but...

If they want to leave then fine, but they should remember Leave means Leave. .......
No more subsidies from the English, no pound, no representation in the UK Parliament, move UK defence jobs and naval facilities to England etc etc. But if they want to do it then O.K. Thats not threatening them its just a fact.

Take their share of the national debt too

If anyone thought our EU divorce bill was huge, Scotland having to move HMNB Clyde alone would probably set them back what we have to pay the EU with an economy 1/10th the size of Englands.

Cc
If anyone thought our EU divorce bill was huge, Scotland having to move HMNB Clyde alone would probably set them back what we have to pay the EU with an economy 1/10th the size of Englands.
HM would have to fund its continued use or relocate it to a welcoming new home. The new uk lite would have to fund its nuclear deterrent.

I know the Windrush generation have had a rough time lately, but I don't think anyone has suggested they weren't allowed to vote in general elections or the Brexit vote.

There is no such thing as Scottish citizenship, of course, but even so I doubt they could get away with telling permanent residents that they cannot vote. The UK PM wouldn't allow it anyway.
How is a permanent resident defined?
The uk pm has made several decisions which have not stood up to legal challenge.

What happened 150 years Derek? Did all the normal Victorians want immigration? you'll have to tell us all mate because you know everything and you were there, what happened Del Boy when you were sweeping those dirty chimneys?

Lol, did you really ask if the normal Victorians wanted immigration when talking about the British Empire? I wonder if the normal people from the colonies wanted the British 'immigration' all those years ago.

Last edited:
Cc
HM would have to fund its continued use or relocate it to a welcoming new home. The new uk lite would have to fund its nuclear deterrent.

How would Scotland go about getting Westminster's approval without coughing up the cash to fund the relocation?

Why would Scotland pay for its relocation if it wasn't going to be part of their defence plans moving forward? UK government would surely have to pay to relocate or pay rent for the site.

If they want to leave they need the rest of the UK's concent, why would we agree to it if it's going to cost a fortune? I think they'd have to pay their way out the same as we did with the EU.

If they want to leave they need the rest of the UK's concent, why would we agree to it if it's going to cost a fortune? I think they'd have to pay their way out the same as we did with the EU.

I'm no expert on how it would work but surely they would have to take on their 'fair share' of the debt and would want their 'fair share' of the assets. I'm sure there would be loads of difficult negotiations over how all of it would be worked out but they would surely get all publically owned land in Scotland, including MOD land - they obviously wouldn't get the equivalent in England or Wales.

It would then be up to them what they do with the naval bases. They could operate them themselves, close them or lease the land to the rUK MOD to continue operating them. The SNP seem to want rid of them and so rUK government would have to relocate them at their cost if they wanted to continue to operate them.

How defence for an Indy Scotland would work, whether or to what extent it would remain under the umbrella of the UK MOD or go it alone - I doubt anyone has a firm idea.

Over 14,000 jobs in Scotland in the defence sector, the SNP won't want to just throw those jobs away, whilst having to pay for it's own defence in some form.

Last time round, Scotland proposed they be a member of NATO as an independent nation, but the USA threatened to block this plan if Scotland didn't commit to hosting Trident at Faslane. But that was 6 + years ago.

How would Scotland go about getting Westminster's approval without coughing up the cash to fund the relocation?
No approval needed to stop its use. If UK lite wants a nuclear deterrent base then it would need to build one in a sheltered coastal location.

;