Non - Tesla

Druss_the_Legend

UTC Legend
Hats off to Elon Musk. His pursuit of moving mankind forward in so many areas is to be applauded.

The new Roadster is the real nail in the petrol coffin.

2040? I think the government are going to be way out. Most cars will be electric by 2030.

you mean his pursuit of tax payer and government subsidies to prop up his otherwise bankrupt businesses. How are his production line numbers coming along.

http://fortune.com/2017/11/02/elon-musk-tesla-model-3-shortfall/

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/30/ubs-slashes-tesla-profit-estimates-predicting-more-model-3-problems.html

Other car manufacturers are way ahead of him in terms of electric vehicle production and profitability .

Whether he will be seen as a genius or a subsidy grabbing bubble that bursts we will see in a few years.

And yes, I think electric cars will become the norm once the logistics are resolved.

redharry - 20/11/2017 09:50

you mean his pursuit of tax payer and government subsidies to prop up his otherwise bankrupt businesses. How are his production line numbers coming along.

http://fortune.com/2017/11/02/elon-musk-tesla-model-3-shortfall/

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/30/ubs-slashes-tesla-profit-estimates-predicting-more-model-3-problems.html

Other car manufacturers are way ahead of him in terms of electric vehicle production and profitability .

Whether he will be seen as a genius or a subsidy grabbing bubble that bursts we will see in a few years.

And yes, I think electric cars will become the norm once the logistics are resolved.

Or the money he's ploughing into space travel and his pursuit of a base on Mars?

Any argument that other manufacturers are ahead of Tesla is completely mute...they are the standard everyone else is trying to catch.

Subsidy grabbing? Maybe. But he is most definitely forward thinking in the right way. His views on AI are against the grain with the big tech firms and in my opinion should be considered by more. He has a lot of ideas and each time an article appears about him, I find it thoroughly interesting.

I am using him as an inspiration figure at work soon... I for one hope this 'bubble' does not burst as he is a credit to technological advances. Tesla is but one of his many ideas. I love his renewable energy programmes and I'm keenly interested in his Hyperloop projects. SpaceX... that's just plain exciting!

Yep space travel to Mars is really useful for me when I want to pop down the shops.. - only joking as I do love the idea of exploration of space - the 60's were a great time.
I would suggest that Musk is trying to attain the levels of production, reliability and that important word "profit" of the other manufactures. Until he does then all he is doing is burning billions of dollars researching and pioneering technology that others who know how to manufacture will take advantage of. Admirable research but I wouldn't want to be a shareholder at the moment.

redharry - 20/11/2017 10:09

Yep space travel to Mars is really useful for me when I want to pop down the shops.. - only joking as I do love the idea of exploration of space - the 60's were a great time.
I would suggest that Musk is trying to attain the levels of production, reliability and that important word "profit" of the other manufactures. Until he does then all he is doing is burning billions of dollars researching and pioneering technology that others who know how to manufacture will take advantage of. Admirable research but I wouldn't want to be a shareholder at the moment.

How many other car manufactures have people queue up and compete against each other to hand over hundreds of millions of pounds for the hope of owning one of their cars in 3 to 4 years time? :)

Druss_the_Legend - 20/11/2017 09:36

The new Roadster is the real nail in the petrol coffin.

2040? I think the government are going to be way out. Most cars will be electric by 2030.

At £200,000 its slightly niche. I think many cars will be hybrid by 2030 hence the exemption. The Govt make nearly £30 billion on fuel duty, they won't toss that away lightly.

Doesnt matter what they want. The majority of cars will be fully electric by 2030.

The Tesla 3 is not niche. The Leaf and Zoe are not niche. For every 1000 family cars there is a super car and the Roadster will be the fastest performing hyper car in the world, at 10 % of the price of some of the others.

Forget the roadster, it's the articualted lorry that is the biggest joke.

Fantasists the lot of them.

They'll go very very bust in a while.

Remember back in the 60's when life in the future revolved round us all having jetpacks and flying cars?

Well the electric car is about as practical and about as likely to take over from the internal combustion engine anytime soon.

None, most people if they want a car of any sort just go to a dealer, order it and it gets delivered on time. I wouldn't order a Tesla, by the time it gets delivered technology will have moved on and other manufacturers will be selling it for a lot less.
Also a lot of those people have cancelled their orders
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/03/tesla-saw-about-63000-cancellations-of-model-3-pre-orders.html

Norway has now stopped subsidies for larger EV's, Trump is looking to do the same as well.

The roadster is one sexy looking car, no doubt about that! It's just a headline grabber and publicity stunt though rather than a realistic car choice.

Point to point, motorway based only, lorries are going to be his only real business for now I think...When exactly our national electricity grid will be able to deal with everyone charging up their cars I've no idea. Seeing as we don't like building any real infrastructure in this country. Not to mention the energy bills to the consumer that our providers will want to charge.

KBG, if its you driving you will be stocking up on pork pies and sandwiches at the filling station.................... :hihi:

Read up on infrastructure. We have more than most people think.

The charging up cars issue is just not true. Once wind farm currently off the Liverpool shoreline produces enough electricity a year to power 8 Billion Teslas.....

Then, the whole thing with having giant batteries (the cars) all plugged in overnight and during the day is that they can can be used to draw energy from as well as draw energy down. So it actually helps the grid to have more cars on it.

Ken Baileys Ghost - 20/11/2017 10:41

What exactly do the drivers do after 500 miles while they wait for their lorry to recharge?

I hope I'm not paying them. :grin:

Planned 30 mins.

Do you not take a coffee break afer 500 miles of driving? Maybe if you dont, you should?

Ken Baileys Ghost - 20/11/2017 10:33

Forget the roadster, it's the articualted lorry that is the biggest joke.

Fantasists the lot of them.

They'll go very very bust in a while.

Remember back in the 60's when life in the future revolved round us all having jetpacks and flying cars?

Well the electric car is about as practical and about as likely to take over from the internal combustion engine anytime soon.

Christ on a bike, maybe learn about something and understand it before you head back out onto the horse you use to travel around on.

Hybrid cars are probably the most sensible at the moment, but the price is too high if they wan't the public to think about changing to them, same with electric which I wouldn't buy.

Ah, wind farms the solution, there is a huge difference in their capacity and actual production.
Where are all these cars on housing estates and flats with no drive ways going to plug in. We are miles from having the capacity and infrastructure and no gov't is going to invest the money needed.

;