Non - Tesla

Druss,

This is the future and there's not an electric car or lorry in sight.

You make a cameo appearance at 6 minutes 35 seconds.

Nice threads mate.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5xi8m

SlowDownDerek - 20/11/2017 14:06

You won't need to charge your car on your council estate in 30 years because you won't have a car. You'll just order whatever vehicle you need when you need it and it will turn up. Why own a vehicle doing nothing outside the building you are in for 98% of the time? Why have a four seater car to carry you around that is too big for your needs until you need to move furniture then it's suddenly too small? And we pay a fortune for this sub-optimal situation too.

You won't have traffic problems, lack of car parking, congestion, inadequate roads, etc etc. Driverless cars will do for transport what the internet did for communication and I can't wait.

It'll get there, there's too much logic and efficiency in the automation idea for it to not eventually become reality. However there's a lot of hurdles, as many procedural and regulatory, as much as technical, to get through first.

I also think there's still going to be a fairly large private ownership class even when it does, because people like having what's "there's". Knowing nobody dirty or germ ridden has had the car 10 minutes before you, knowing it won't show up with McDonalds wrappers all over the seats, knowing it hasn't been vandalised etc.

What will be interesting is how many generations of individual car ownership (and the fuel of those cars) we go through until that automation time.

SlowDownDerek - 20/11/2017 14:06

You won't need to charge your car on your council estate in 30 years because you won't have a car. You'll just order whatever vehicle you need when you need it and it will turn up. Why own a vehicle doing nothing outside the building you are in for 98% of the time? Why have a four seater car to carry you around that is too big for your needs until you need to move furniture then it's suddenly too small? And we pay a fortune for this sub-optimal situation too.

You won't have traffic problems, lack of car parking, congestion, inadequate roads, etc etc. Driverless cars will do for transport what the internet did for communication and I can't wait.

This.

I drove up to Heathrow a couple of weeks ago. The car controlled the speed and kept in lane most of the way up the M3. When I got to the car park it parked itself. Then I got in a pod and it took me to the terminal with no human involvement.

Its happening now.

Ken Baileys Ghost - 20/11/2017 14:12

Druss,

This is the future and there's not an electric car or lorry in sight.

You make a cameo appearance at 6 minutes 35 seconds.

Nice threads mate.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5xi8m

:hihi:

I'm amazed you get to games. Must take you ages to walk to games from the Purbecks.

It's funny how evangelical some people can get about technology companies.

You know tech firms, the ones who claim they want to disrupt things, usually other industries.

The problem is that when you drill down they're just any other big company...

They want to get rich, pay little or no taxes, and ignore local, national and international rules and laws.

The fantasy that Elon Musk, Apple, Google, Facebook, etc are in it to advance humanity is laughable.

If that was true they'd go out of their to help local and national economies by paying excess taxes, not ducking and diving through oblique accounting to pay just pennies.

AFCB Lost in Brum - 20/11/2017 17:25

You know tech firms, the ones who claim they want to disrupt things, usually other industries.

They want to get rich, pay little or no taxes, and ignore local, national and international rules and laws.

The fantasy that Elon Musk, Apple, Google, Facebook, etc goals are to advance humanity is laughable.

If that was true they'd go out of their to help local and national economies by paying excess taxes, not ducking and diving through oblique accounting to pay just pennies.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

It will be interesting to see which big companies end up dominating the automobile industry in years to come. The big car companies are in a race against time with the technology firms and the multinational car hire firms will be dead in the water unless they get in ahead.

I reckon we'll each pay per month for transport like we do for media now. The more you pay the better service you get - ranging from your own car during rush hour to a shared vehicle out of hours.

There's no doubt it will impact on jobs - lorry drivers, taxi drivers, any drivers. Then again half our jobs are at risk from automation so we're all in the same boat.

AFCB Lost in Brum - 20/11/2017 17:25

The fantasy that Elon Musk, Apple, Google, Facebook, etc are in it to advance humanity is laughable.

Not sure what any of those have done to advance humanity. Except Elon Musk. Nothing evangelical about it. His companies and his aimes are to enable us to travel further and faster than we have ever travelled. He is leading the mission to put humans on mars. He's devising hyper fast transport between cities. Hes leading the charge to reduce CO2 emissions by cars to 0%.

On one hand some are moaning above that the companies not making money while also people are moaning he's doing it solely for his pocket.

I really dont care his reasons for doing it, its the fact he is doing it that I care about.

I'd love an electric car, but as everyone else in our road seems to need a four-wheel drive bus-sized thing (one each) to drive about 15 miles a year I can't even park near our place very often, let alone run a lead out to the road!

Perhaps something fold-up or inflatable so I could carry it up to the flat could be invented?

Actually, if they could run a bus from my end of town to the airport I'd do without a car again. I've managed easily in the past.

TrevorMorganFanClub - 20/11/2017 17:57

I'd love an electric car, but as everyone else in our road seems to need a four-wheel drive bus-sized thing (one each) to drive about 15 miles a year I can't even park near our place very often, let alone run a lead out to the road!

Druss is suggesting you just hook it up to the nearest lamp post. Half the street lights down my road don't even work.

Druss_the_Legend - 20/11/2017 17:50
...His companies and his aimes are to enable us to travel further and faster than we have ever travelled. He is leading the mission to put humans on mars. He's devising hyper fast transport between cities. Hes leading the charge to reduce CO2 emissions by cars to 0%....

He's trying to make bucket loads of money.

Quite why people feel the need to beatify him and others in the tech world is beyond me.

There's thousands of people who do selfless work, for little or no money to help others.

And before anyone starts on about his philanthropy... he's worth over $19 billion, so dropping the odd million here or there is like one of us giving a homeless guy a quid

Good luck to Musk but people need to stop kissing his butt... he doesn't need it, he has enough money to pay someone to do that

AFCB Lost in Brum - 20/11/2017 18:09

...His companies and his aimes are to enable us to travel further and faster than we have ever travelled. He is leading the mission to put humans on mars. He's devising hyper fast transport between cities. Hes leading the charge to reduce CO2 emissions by cars to 0%....

Quite why people feel the need to beatify him and others in the tech world is beyond me.

There's thousands of people who do selfless work, for little or no money to help others.

And before anyone starts on about his philanthropy... he's worth over $19 billion, so dropping the odd million here or there is like one of us giving a homeless guy a quid

Good luck to Musk but people need to stop kissing his butt... he doesn't need it, he has enough money to pay someone to do that

Who is kissing his butt? We are talking about the work his companies are doing not him? I'm not kissing his butt, I'm happy he is doing the things he is.

If I was to kiss someones butt it would be Bill Gates.

Robots don't go on strike, but they don't buy stuff either.

Having loads of people out of work isn't in the long term interest of business.

We're all going to life on the hostile and inhospitable environs of Mars and leave the robots here to do all the work : )

What an age we live in, I brought a Cheese Advent calendar 2 weeks ago and still have 10 sleeps to go until I can start it : )

Druss_the_Legend - 20/11/2017 18:56

AFCB Lost in Brum - 20/11/2017 18:09

Who is kissing his butt? We are talking about the work his companies are doing not him? I'm not kissing his butt, I'm happy he is doing the things he is.

If I was to kiss someones butt it would be Bill Gates.

Butt kisser ? - Obama was a big fan of his - and donor as well via the US taxpayer

;