Non: The Hundred

Yes I fear for all forms of cricket now it seems that the whole of August is taken over by this complete farce of a format. I mean it even took precedence over an Ashes Test series so that for the first time ever there weren't even any Tests played in August.
Such a shame you have to take that stance, it’s fair enough it’s not for you. But the kids, the future of the game love it. It’s entry level cricket, without it you don’t get young kids interested in test cricket. With it, you do. It’s growing all forms of cricket to a wider younger audience. It was refreshing talking to a few MCC members and how enthusiastic they were about it. They all said they preferred the longer format but it wasn’t an either/or thing for them.

As for the Ashes being played in June/July, it’s actually a better window. No competition from football, almost exclusive coverage across sport news media and less rain historically.

I also went to Hants v Worcs. With my brother and his family. His 2 daughters (11 and 13) weren't very interested but they brought other things to distract them. The said "you didn't say it was going to be boomer cricket"!!!

Last edited:
I wonder if this years tournament being so good may well have softened some of the traditionalist media types view? I don’t follow the Telegraph or Guardian often, but do have their cricket pages book marked, both have ignored the tournament other than a couple of snide articles before it started.

But the last couple of days proper cricket articles have appeared discussing the hundred, Beaumont, Southby and Brook etc.

Along with Root, Rashid and Buttler talking it up, maybe we can get past the bashing stage. Sure not everyone likes it, but everyone doesn’t have to for it to be success, which this season I’d be surprised if it hasn’t achieved very successful attendance and viewing figures.

It certainly seems to have won over the Telegraph, decent article, includes debate on the one day cup as well…

;