Non: Train Strike

So you'll happily walk from your job when technology can do it?

SWR guards are about to lose a month's wages.
On those 2 points, that's called workplace evolution. Inevitable for most work places, but most people in that situation don't have the opportunity of working in a single service supplier situation to impact the public so much with a view to holding the employer to random. I wonder how many guards use updated technology to buy online, cheap automated goods from China that used to be made in UK, and put shop/manufacturing workers out of a job?
As for losing a months wage, they're doing that by choice (or the choice of the National Executive)

What does South Western Railway say?
An SWR spokesperson said the company was disappointed that talks had broken down with the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT).
He added: "We remain committed to finding a solution that works for our customers and we remain open to talks if the RMT decides to reconsider its position.
"In the meantime, our focus has to be on planning and delivering a train service for our customers."

."We remain committed to finding a solution that works for our customers" by striking!!
"our focus has to be on planning and delivering a train service for our customers." by striking !!
what a useless bunch of muppets.
Still find it strange why they are not striking on Election day.

What does South Western Railway say?
An SWR spokesperson said the company was disappointed that talks had broken down with the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT).
He added: "We remain committed to finding a solution that works for our customers and we remain open to talks if the RMT decides to reconsider its position.
"In the meantime, our focus has to be on planning and delivering a train service for our customers."

."We remain committed to finding a solution that works for our customers" by striking!!
"our focus has to be on planning and delivering a train service for our customers." by striking !!
what a useless bunch of muppets.
Still find it strange why they are not striking on Election day.
I think you may have missed the point.

I work for RMG and
So you'll happily walk from your job when technology can do it?

Your first paragraph is a bit of a broad generalisation isn't it? I don't know many staff that started on the railway at 16.

I know you have an anti-union stance possibly based on what the Daily Mail have told you but most do a lot of good and are there to protect workers rights that the company has previously agreed to. They're not just doing it to annoy you and for the sake of it.

SWR guards are about to lose a month's wages.

I work for RMG and I except that machinery will replace manual work. It’s evolution.
My views of unions is not based on the Daily Mail, it’s based on growing up in the 70’s and what I see on a daily basis.
As you can probably gather, I’m not in the CWU and probably never will be.

So machinery and robots take over All jobs eventually.. and no f#cker is working... all sat at home on benefits....evolution/natural selection..shrinking arms, legs and brains?

Nice !!!

for someone with such obvious mental dexterity..... that shows a serious lack of imagination! the future will not involve working 9 to 5 jobs.....

Not a lot of sympathy for the guards from the random people I met on the trains today. Pissing people off in the run up to Xmas might really go against them.

Not a lot of sympathy for the guards from the random people I met on the trains today. Pissing people off in the run up to Xmas might really go against them.

I have supported guards on the trains and think they have a better view than the driver to see it’s safe to close the doors.

So can’t they come to a compromise the guard see everything is ok and signals to the guard to close the doors as he gets on the train.

I think both sides know this has to be sorted sometime and it’s their customers who suffer, without them the owners won’t get income and the workers won’t have jobs.

27 days???
Plus no trains Xmas and Boxing Day?

What a shi*thouse company.

Up there with the Royal Mail, doing their best that ex pats don't get their general election postal votes again.

Though to be fair, if you don't have to live in it, why should you get to help choose how much **************** is poured over it

No Al, not in my opinion. You've chosen to flee the ship, you're welcome to an opinion but not a say. In my opinion and all that

Was waiting on the platform at Southampton Central Station yesterday for the Great Western train to Portsmouth.

The London train was in and waiting for passengers coming on the coaches from the Bournemouth area.

I saw the driver and guard of the train chatting on the platform, when it was time for the London train to leave, the driver got into his cab and the guard checking everything was ok, the whistle blew, he then got in the door next to the driver and the train left.

If the dispute is now just about who closes the door, it seems pathetic. The driver concentrates on driving the train, the guard does his job which is anything to do with the passengers, including their safety on the train and platform.

;