Non: Train Strike

Some good news:

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/p...-operate-services-to-reading-from-15-december

"Customers will see staff at every station, and improvements being made to stations along the route including the installation of lifts to provide step-free access, they will also be able to enjoy the convenience of pay as you go contactless payments all the way to Reading "

Thinking about the trip to Chelsea, if SWT is subject industrial action then think about getting the Cross Country to Reading then Reading into Paddington. I did it last year and it worked pretty well.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...-train-passenger-along-platform-a3436661.html

The thing here is that if the Driver is responsible for closing the doors then they become liable personally for accidents like this. A friend of mine who works on the railways reckons that most drivers have experienced someone trying to throw themselves in front of the train so I totally understand why they would want to fight the changes

See he was cleared.

https://www.2harecourt.com/2017/08/08/train-driver-cleared-endangering-passenger-on-railway/

The problem with a lot of rail staff is they join the company at 16, usually with the help of a family member and expect to do the same job for 50 years whilst being protected by the union.

The world evolves and we have to evolve with it.

The problem with a lot of rail staff is they join the company at 16, usually with the help of a family member and expect to do the same job for 50 years whilst being protected by the union.

Doing it for 50 years is doing them a favour. Dome if the older workers, if starting at 16, I expect have pensions that give them a good sum from aged 50, 55 max!

Hope they strike for a month...impeding football fans from getting to PL games in London.....perhaps then people will take note about guards and SAFETY for PEOPLE.
You know..real people ...not w#nkers with private jets ..i.e. Rail bosses and PL chairmen who have private jets and f#cking helicopters to take them to Orgies.
Tell it like it is FFS.....and sort this Nation out!

I support keeping guards on the trains.

Are there any train workers on here who can answer this re what the company say that there will always be a guard on the train?

So isn’t that what the strike is about?

Mr Mellors said: "We promise that there will always be a guard on our trains. We also promise our guards will maintain a safety critical role on our trains.

“We believe that these promises deliver what the RMT has been asking for, so these strikes are unnecessary.

“All we’re asking is that guards work with us to provide the modern, efficient train service customers need and want by bringing in new trains which could mean over 10 million more passenger journeys arrive on-time in peak hours every year.

"Christmas is one of the busiest times of the year, and we know people will be worried about how they get to work, school and other commitments like Christmas parties.

“So we are working hard on detailed plans for the period of the strikes and we will do everything we can to keep customers moving."

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/n...kes-will-go-ahead-misery-thousands-commuters/

Talks broke down again today, bbc reporting agreement reached in the room, but Union National Executive rejected it.
Guards on the trains, but objection apparantly all about who opens the doors. And they wonder why people are fed up..

Based on what evidence?

Similar to the other day when it seemed like both sides agreed, but somehow refused to agree that they agreed. Coming across increasingly like an argument for the sake of it by this point.

so, SWR are suggesting that it isnt the guard who shuts the doors and the union insist it should be? It should be the guard, shouldnt it?

So you'll happily walk from your job when technology can do it?

Your first paragraph is a bit of a broad generalisation isn't it? I don't know many staff that started on the railway at 16.

I know you have an anti-union stance possibly based on what the Daily Mail have told you but most do a lot of good and are there to protect workers rights that the company has previously agreed to. They're not just doing it to annoy you and for the sake of it.

SWR guards are about to lose a month's wages.

;