Norwich

Is that what we've got to look forward too ?....:eek!:
Easy to have an existential crisis thinking like that. For us it's all about using the PL riches (if we do get back there) to turn us in to a top 2 tier club. Look at how the investment in youth is already paying off with half of our starting line up this season!

For Norwich, early signs are that they haven't bought well.

If you have a strong identity you have a chance. People focusing in on Norwich… don’t… focus on Brentford.

Our identity kept us up last time for years, our problem came when we changed our identity from a try and score one more than the opposition side to a try not to concede and hit them on the break side. We were relegated within two years of that change of style and largely were bored for most of it with the odd exception.

We could see in our games v Norwich last year they weren’t good and didn’t have a style. We beat them twice. Brentford on the other hand did have a very clear style and beat us three times (I think).

We have a style about us now and if we don’t make too many changes and find a replacement for Cahill we could stay up…but there will be those PL spells where it’s like pulling teeth.

It’s also about readiness and energy. I, along with others, were very fearful of what would happen if we’d gone up through the play offs last season. The team wasn’t ready. Too many errors. No real team spirit or cohesion. I think we would be where Norwich are.

Our team this season is unrecognisable in three ways that I can see.
All 11 play for each other. There is a real sense that this is a team. No passengers. Last season we rarely played with 10 committed outfield players for the whole game.
Pressing is so impressive. This links to the above. We chase and press from start to finish. The movement is fluid and impressive.
Set pieces. We now have corners and free kicks that provide a threat to defenders.

If you have a strong identity you have a chance. People focusing in on Norwich… don’t… focus on Brentford.

Our identity kept us up last time for years, our problem came when we changed our identity from a try and score one more than the opposition side to a try not to concede and hit them on the break side. We were relegated within two years of that change of style and largely were bored for most of it with the odd exception.

We could see in our games v Norwich last year they weren’t good and didn’t have a style. We beat them twice. Brentford on the other hand did have a very clear style and beat us three times (I think).

We have a style about us now and if we don’t make too many changes and find a replacement for Cahill we could stay up…but there will be those PL spells where it’s like pulling teeth.

It’s interesting because Brentford have completely changed their style since they got promoted. They’re much more like a West Brom or Burnley now, just not as egregious with it. They’ve taken to it well though. Frank is probably one of the better manager in the league tbh.

One of the biggest differences is that regardless of what the tactics are on the pitch, one HAS them and the other doesn’t. Norwich have nothing, they’re a husk of a club lol.

Easy to have an existential crisis thinking like that. For us it's all about using the PL riches (if we do get back there) to turn us in to a top 2 tier club. Look at how the investment in youth is already paying off with half of our starting line up this season!

For Norwich, early signs are that they haven't bought well.
But they are a top 2 tier club.

It’s also about readiness and energy. I, along with others, were very fearful of what would happen if we’d gone up through the play offs last season. The team wasn’t ready. Too many errors. No real team spirit or cohesion. I think we would be where Norwich are.

Our team this season is unrecognisable in three ways that I can see.
All 11 play for each other. There is a real sense that this is a team. No passengers. Last season we rarely played with 10 committed outfield players for the whole game.
Pressing is so impressive. This links to the above. We chase and press from start to finish. The movement is fluid and impressive.
Set pieces. We now have corners and free kicks that provide a threat to defenders.

To which I would a fourth: we are now incredibly difficult to score against. Since Cahill’s first start at the beginning of September we have conceded just 3 goals in 9 matches.

Last edited:
Sheffield United had an identity, one that probably would have got them to qualify for Europe if a pandemic hadn’t come along…second season, relegated.

AFCB had an identity, had to evolve with the squad, were relegated after five seasons.

Watford never had an identity, were relegated after five seasons.

Huddersfield had an identity, were relegated at the first attempt with 18 points.

Swansea had an identity, 7 seasons in the Premier League and a European jaunt, eventually hit that, had to evolve period and were relegated.

And that’s just going back three odd seasons.

Ultimately if you’re not one of the top 7/8 clubs, one poor season of luck or injuries could see you relegated.

I watched a YouTube vid of our 14/15 side in that final home game against Bolton. That was a great side but I truly believe our current 1st eleven is much stronger. Christie, Lerma and Billing are at another level for starters. Listen also to Hudds player post match interview. He agrees and says his club have to aspire to our level. I remember EH saying that after we were trounced by Spurs one year. We are currently the real deal. Long may it continue.

Sheffield United had an identity, one that probably would have got them to qualify for Europe if a pandemic hadn’t come along…second season, relegated.

AFCB had an identity, had to evolve with the squad, were relegated after five seasons.

Huddersfield had an identity, were relegated at the first attempt with 18 points.

Swansea had an identity, 7 seasons in the Premier League and a European jaunt, eventually hit that, had to evolve period and were relegated.

Ultimately if you’re not one of the top 7/8 clubs, one poor season of luck or injuries could see you relegated.
And Leeds might be showing that this season.

Norwich tbf got 2 clean sheets and 2 decent draws before the game yesterday but they are badly exposed if their defence isn't organised as many teams would be.

Reactions: DJ

I thought Huddersfield had 2 seasons in the PL

This post should be pinned to every Premier League thread.

For most clubs being in the Premier League is just swimming against the tide.

I agree, yet the likes of Brighton, Southampton, Burnley, Newcastle etc always seem to miss the drop!

;