Our away support

Scunthorpe was another…
Apart from the season opener at Boston in 2002 (c. 600), attendances in Lincolnshire have usually been poor. For example, the 3-3 at Lincoln in 2009 was 186 and I can recall much lower attendances at Sincil Bank, Blundell Park and Scunny, especially for mid-week matches. Although I don't have actuall
attendance figures

The rest of the eastern side of England fared not a lot better. I can remember handfulls of supporters at dotted around Donny's old ground. Add York and Darlo to that. Colchester and Cambridge, on a number of occasions, only just broke 200 as did Notts Co and Mansfield. In contrast, we always had better followings at Ipswich and Norwich and, surprisingly, at Rushden (632 and 736 respectively).

Then, there are those cold, bleak days in the north. Blackpool, Wigan, Oldham, Accrington, Tranmere and Carlisle all failed to break 200.

It was not until 2012 that away attendances matched the Division Two (Championship) levels of the 80s and exceeded the Bond-era. Both of these were short-lived periods.

Apart from the season opener at Boston in 2002 (c. 600), attendances in Lincolnshire have usually been poor. For example, the 3-3 at Lincoln in 2009 was 186 and I can recall much lower attendances at Sincil Bank, Blundell Park and Scunny, especially for mid-week matches. Although I don't have actuall
attendance figures

The rest of the eastern side of England fared not a lot better. I can remember handfulls of supporters at dotted around Donny's old ground. Add York and Darlo to that. Colchester and Cambridge, on a number of occasions, only just broke 200 as did Notts Co and Mansfield. In contrast, we always had better followings at Ipswich and Norwich and, surprisingly, at Rushden (632 and 736 respectively).

Then, there are those cold, bleak days in the north. Blackpool, Wigan, Oldham, Accrington, Tranmere and Carlisle all failed to break 200.

It was not until 2012 that away attendances matched the Division Two (Championship) levels of the 80s and exceeded the Bond-era. Both of these were short-lived periods.
There weren't too many at the 9-0 wrong boots debacle at Lincoln. Unfortunately I was one of them !

The game when we won at Portsmouth early eighties I reckon we only took a hundred or so, whereas they brought thousands to Dean Court.

Elsewhere, Weymouth v Torquay had a crowd of 2,009+ on Saturday. I heard an interview with Terras manager Bobby Wilkinson lamenting the fact that ‘big’ clubs no longer support non league by playing pre-season friendlies. He mentioned AFCB particularly.

He has a point.

The game when we won at Portsmouth early eighties I reckon we only took a hundred or so, whereas they brought thousands to Dean Court.

Me and you sat in front of the Fratton end, one Tuesday night, and getting done 4-0. I swear that we were the only Cherries there.

Watching football wasn't easy back then. A lot of social unrest.

Just seems very odd because I've heard all the stories about how many thousands we took to Brighton and Villa not many years before that yet only a few years later were taking a handful to Pompey. Sounds like Pompey managed to bring plenty the other way too.

This surprises me. Didn't go (watched on TV) so will obviously bow down to those that were there, but the atmosphere sounded woeful on TV. Couldn't hear our fans loads, but they were pretty much all you could here... At times it sounded like we were playing on a municipal park
This is quite amusing as was chatting before the game (at Burnley Cricket Club which is for some reason always sunny) about whether Sky would turn the sound down on us. They often do.

Elsewhere, Weymouth v Torquay had a crowd of 2,009+ on Saturday. I heard an interview with Terras manager Bobby Wilkinson lamenting the fact that ‘big’ clubs no longer support non league by playing pre-season friendlies. He mentioned AFCB particularly.

He has a point.
Surely it was way more than that Rob. We had a section of the terrace, 500-750 at least, as per the highlights video you posted.
Great day, Biley's penalty miss was unforgettable.

Just seems very odd because I've heard all the stories about how many thousands we took to Brighton and Villa not many years before that yet only a few years later were taking a handful to Pompey. Sounds like Pompey managed to bring plenty the other way too.
The late 70s we were really in the doldrums...all the promise of the early 70s and then to be in the old Div 4 we struggled with home and away interest

Those 'stories' about the thousands who went to Brighton Villa are true. There were over 5,000 at Brighton on Boxing Day. I believe that there were 62 official coaches plus several on private hire.
The South End decamped to the Goldstone en masse.
I don't believe that there have been more Bournemouth supporters at an away league match before or since.
There were almost as many at Villa.

Those 'stories' about the thousands who went to Brighton Villa are true. There were over 5,000 at Brighton on Boxing Day. I believe that there were 62 official coaches plus several on private hire.
The South End decamped to the Goldstone en masse.
I don't believe that there have been more Bournemouth supporters at an away league match before or since.
There were almost as many at Villa.
I knew Simon Rendell, owner of Cosy Coaches (actually the bank and leasing companies owned most of it) and he said he had booked 33 coaches for Brighton and 59 for Villa. He obviously chartered coaches from other companies to make up his numbers. and no doubt plenty of pubs and clubs made their own arrangements for coach hire with other companies

;