Philip

I guess Cook would be training fully in around 2/3 weeks and in contention to start in around 4/5, so mid-September assuming no setbacks. If he's in America it could well be to get signed off as fit to train with full contact

I don’t see Cook as a creator but more of a controller in midfield. Someone to pull the strings in the heart of the pitch and dictate the tempo.

Although Brooks plays wide for us, the main way he is different to Cook is he does create. He looks to get in pockets of space and slip balls through to the forwards.

The advantage of having a Lewis Cook in your team is when the opposition is starting to get on top, he can get on the ball and slow the game down. He’s never fully done this in a Cherries shirt yet, but eventually this is what he will bring to us whereas Billing and Lerma won’t.

What is H. Wilson's role I all this..?. I have to confess I don't really know how he'll fit in here.

I actually like L.Cook in the middle and whilst his form wasn't the best just prior to his injury, he was still one of the better options for us in the middle of the park.

I agree that Eddie rarely plays an 11 to match the opposition, more he tries to alter the play of his favoured 11.. Take Middlesbrough (H) in our Champ season, when we threw the 'Bournemouth way' out the window and just went long ball down the channels for most of the game... I like this approach as it means we're focusing on us more than the opposition... Focusing on winning and not not losing...

I get the whole No.10 thing in front of the midfielders, but surely the midfield is where you want the creativity, to feed the forwards?

We're in a strange position as we have rarely had debate over as the midfield has often picked itself and we've had little difference in our players. When Cook/Brooks are back, we're in a good place to pick and chose... Billing will get better with being fitter and hopefully King and Wilson can up their games in the meantime.

I just worry about the lack of creative spark with 'just' Billing and Lerma... I think someone like Lewis is exactly what these two need to compliment their grafting...

Our wide players have always been instructed to drift in so I don't think you necessarily always need a creative player in central midfield. Brooks for example starts off on the right but normally floats inside to play number 10 - something hopefully H Wilson can offer whilst Brooks is out.

Watford play a similar system with Doucoure/Capoue the destroyers in the middle and Hughes/Pereyra drifting inside to provide the creativity. Agree though that there'll be some games where the opposition sit back and Lewis Cook will be a better option in the middle.

Last edited:
Once Cook is fit, there will be some games where Lerma and Billing are the best fit, and others where breaking them up and putting in the more technical Cook is the better fit. Sometimes we may even want all 3 and I'd like to see it, but Cook isn't really a '10'.

Though Eddie historically hasn't really mixed and matched the side to fit the opposition often, he tends to have a favoruite starting 11 of the time and sticks with it until poor performance or injury changes his 11. So picking a midfield combo based on the best fit for the fixture would be a change of tack for Eddie.

All three would work and leave both better support for the front men allowing them to attack more and better cover when they lose it. Most teams play this system with Klopp and Guardiola getting the best out of it although the latter can go with 3-5-2 when he really wants to go for it and leave the full backs up non stop.

Others have already mentioned it but Lewis Cook is absolutely not a No10, and he never has been. He just has a good range of passing. For England U21s he sits in front of the back 4.

Our wide players have always been instructed to drift in so I don't think you necessarily always need a creative player in central midfield. Brooks for example starts off on the right but normally floats inside to play number 10 - something hopefully H Wilson can offer whilst Brooks is out.

Watford play a similar system with Doucoure/Capoue the destroyers in the middle and Hughes/Pereyra drifting inside to provide the creativity. Agree though that they'll be some games where the opposition sit back and Lewis Cook will be a better option in the middle.

Spot on imo.

Others have already mentioned it but Lewis Cook is absolutely not a No10, and he never has been. He just has a good range of passing. For England U21s he sits in front of the back 4.

Agree hes not a #10, but the reason he spent so long covering defenders was simly because england defenders walked away

Just seen cook is in the USA
I guess Cook would be training fully in around 2/3 weeks and in contention to start in around 4/5, so mid-September assuming no setbacks. If he's in America it could well be to get signed off as fit to train with full contact
He told someone at the open training session that he's aiming to be back around the international break.

Thinking the same. Also note how he drops back to defend freeing up Stacey to go forward.
Re Stacey, he certainly shows he is attack-minded ... defensively, ???

Thinking the same. Also note how he drops back to defend freeing up Stacey to go forward.
Re Stacey, he certainly shows he is attack-minded ... defensively, ???
Stacey currently really is more about marauding runs down the wing than being hard to beat. I think Kelly on the other side is probably the exact opposite, i.e. hard to pass but maybe not so creative going forward ( obviously this remains to be seen but is my inkling ). Stacey really is pretty much a younger version of Daniels. As of today Daniels probably is the better DEFENDER but Stacey is learning quickly. And he has youth on his side. I think as a like for like replacement we played a blinder in signing Stacey. He will improve with experience, has a great attitude and is a bright young lad !

;