Philip

This could be year of Eddies Young Guns..a do or die gamble !

We can see it all as a gamble, this rebuild...but it had to happen....and because this time its from a high platform...there will be an element of ' project fear ' from some fans ...whereas at the start of ' The Ride' Eddie had nothing to lose and nor did we!

Any outgoing players from the Old Guard are instantly in the Cherries Hall of Fame .
Harry, Mark, Dan, Andrew, Steve, Simon, Adam, Artur ...a couple of them still quite Able and sticking around a bit longer to help with the transition.....All Winners at this Club!

We just need to be a bit Patient with the young incomers....

However.. Patience with the Stadium is a different matter !

Bloody hell. I understood that post Bill. Lol

This could be year of Eddies Young Guns..a do or die gamble !

We can see it all as a gamble, this rebuild...but it had to happen....and because this time its from a high platform...there will be an element of ' project fear ' from some fans ...whereas at the start of ' The Ride' Eddie had nothing to lose and nor did we!

Any outgoing players from the Old Guard are instantly in the Cherries Hall of Fame .
Harry, Mark, Dan, Andrew, Steve, Simon, Adam, Artur ...a couple of them still quite Able and sticking around a bit longer to help with the transition.....All Winners at this Club!

We just need to be a bit Patient with the young incomers....

However.. Patience with the Stadium is a different matter !
I reckon we may have to be patient with Billing. I am only basing this on comments made in the past from Wagner stating that Billing didn't keep his fitness levels up in close season and thinking he could get by on talent alone. Billing may get a shock at the intensity of Eddie and Jason's training schedules. Most new recruits find it a bit hard and by all accounts Billing has been training with the Hudds youth team.

.....Eddie must have spoken with the guy though and informed him that his fitness and attitude is key to the move?
I don't think we will have a problem with his attitude. Any inkling of that and Eddie wouldn't have touched him. Eddie probably told him that he will have to work hard on his fitness when he gets here I'm just not sure if he knows what he's in for. Mind you, Wagner had them pressing the hell out of the opposition so it shouldn't be that alien to him .

From Huddersfield OS following friendly against Lyon.

Comment from one year ago re pre season by David Wagner who was then in charge.

As many would agree, Wagner discussed the fact that the encounter was enjoyable to say the least and followed by reiterating that the main benefit of proceedings was to get those all-important minutes and fitness into the legs ahead of the Chelsea opener on Saturday 11 August.

Individually, praise was shared amongst the strikers, particularly Laurent Depoitre, who took his goals expertly. The Head Coach reserved further praise for Philip Billing, as the Dane put in another good performance within this pre-season campaign.

We have Cook, Lerma, Arter, Surman, Gosling - who are basically all CDMs. None of them score enough goals or have a history of scoring goals. Eddie loves Drew and Goso. Arter has looked happy in pre-season.

Can we succeed with no goals from central midfield?

That being said. I prefer 3 in the middle because it's in the middle we so often get run over and have none of the ball against the better sides. Add in the fact 2 quality central midfielders would cost the earth and we wouldn't be able to afford their wages so 3 solid midfielders might be the best we get.

The truth is any side which plays a midfield 2 will have more defensive oriented midfielders. It’s not necessarily their natural game, buts it’s a necessity of the system that both sit because you are already a man light. Allowing freedom for one to constantly go forward is kamikaze football. Playing a 3 gives much more fluidity and variety.

“Can we succeed with no goals from central midfield?”

I expect so, scoring goals is not our problem. I think Billing could turn out to be an excellent signing although, as someone else has said, I expect Eddie to ease him in rather than throw him in.

Good points. It's just when you put 3 in midfield, and have 1 up top, you're relying on goals from the wings, which, as Fraser showed, can come. But consistency is harder.

Think this could be a brilliant signing, IF it all goes to plan.

So many times we’ve been overrun in midfield. Having the option now of chucking Billing and Lerma together, especially in tough away games but ones we can win, and just letting our forward players basically “do what they do best” I think could work brilliantly.

Another winger, move a couple more on, then I think we’ve had one of the best windows in the league IMO?!

...we may now see some unloading of a few...Arter and Surman possibly along with Begovic.

If we can secure a Goalkeeper in the Heaton, Butland (still think this may happen?) or Gazzaniga mode I would be content that we are ready to go...

we have some interesting youngsters pushing for places too...so bring it on PL!

You think all 3 summer signings will step up to the plate from game one?
I don't think they'll be far off the pace,
I like that we've targeted 3 areas we were weak in last season and just gone for those rather than a scattergun big club approach.
The 3 of them tick a lot of boxes and very much fit our mold.

I was more worried about Lerma. Rico and Brooks settling last summer. The former two for the language, the latter for his age/physical weakness. 2 out of 3 of them were excellent almost immediately.

You think all 3 summer signings will step up to the plate from game one?
...why should they be any different to other players who will need to step up to the plate from game one?...I might be more worried about Fraser who has been in a confused state of affairs during the summer...and whether we have enough in our squad given that our old guard of Surman,Gosling,Cook,Francis and Daniels will make it through their injuries?

;