Philip

The main thing to me was not losing anyone as we know when all fit this squad can stay up.

Anyone coming in was a bonus. We really won’t know until we see them tested at this level (only one has played in it) if they are up to it. The signs from the friendlies are promising but only when Salah/Zaha/Sterling start running at them will we know.

The main thing to me was not losing anyone as we know when all fit this squad can stay up.

Anyone coming in was a bonus. We really won’t know until we see them tested at this level (only one has played in it) if they are up to it. The signs from the friendlies are promising but only when Salah/Zaha/Sterling start running at them will we know.
To be fair, there are plenty of well established full backs who struggle with that lot! Completely right what you say though, we won’t know for sure if they can do a job at this level until we see them. I’m sure similar things were being said about Brooks last season so there’s hope! (I’m intentionally ignoring how Rico’s season went in order to make the world look rosier!)

If Stacey and Kelly started the league, I would have no worries. But we all know Smithy will be first choice, so just depends which side he plays. I would be surprised if its not Smith RB, Kelly LB [ although Rico did fine at Brentford ].
As BC says above....Salah, Zaha, Sterling can rip apart even the most experienced top level defenders anyway.

From Sky Sports -

BILLING COMPLETES BOURNEMOUTH MEDICAL

Sky sources understand Huddersfield’s Philip Billing has completed his medical at Bournemouth.
It is understood a fee, in the region of £15m, has been agreed for the midfielder. Billing made 23 appearances for the Terriers in the Premier League last season, scoring two goals.

I think Rico has looked a lot more assured this season than the last. Obviously it's only been two games but I think he stands a good chance of starting vs Sheffield. Probably between him and Stacey atm.

Agree he's looked a bit more stable (but pre-season form can be deceptive). However, it will be between Rico and Kelly for the left-back position (or maybe even Adam Smith) and I think Lloyd Kelly will probably get the nod - and Stacey will probably lose out to Adam Smith at right-back (unless Smith plays left-back).

Agree he's looked a bit more stable (but pre-season form can be deceptive). However, it will be between Rico and Kelly for the left-back position (or maybe even Adam Smith) and I think Lloyd Kelly will probably get the nod - and Stacey will probably lose out to Adam Smith at right-back (unless Smith plays left-back).

I can see Stacey and Smith starting, with Smith at LB. However, I would like us to move away from Smith at LB, seeing as we've now spent almost £25 million on left backs in the last two years. Keep him fighting with Stacey for the RB role, and have Rico and Kelly competing for LB.

Lats season we had the ridiculous scenario of playing Smith and Francis at the same time, and they both got injured, leaving us with wingback Ibe.

Are personal terms agreed before or after a medical? I always thought the medical was the last step.
Unofficially it goes:

Personal Terms —> Transfer Fee —> Medical

Clubs don’t tend to bid for a player unless they know he’s interested. They put ‘feelers’ out via agents to get an idea of personal terms. Once they know the player wants to sign it’s a case of negotiations with the club

Are personal terms agreed before or after a medical? I always thought the medical was the last step.

Normally before people travel for obvious reasons if coming from abroad. Academic now they will just be filming the PR of him trapping a ball and banging the badge of the new kit. This never happened in Roger Browns day. He just walked calmly out the main stand and lit a Rothmans and found a phone box to let his wife know she was moving near the sea.

Unofficially it goes:

Personal Terms —> Transfer Fee —> Medical

Clubs don’t tend to bid for a player unless they know he’s interested. They put ‘feelers’ out via agents to get an idea of personal terms. Once they know the player wants to sign it’s a case of negotiations with the club

I 'read' somewhere that he had been training with us already?? Would be a good idea - get to see how committed he is to training/fitness etc. Sounds like he could be a bit of a lazy so-and-so. Eddie won't want that!

He's apparently been sat watching the open training session at Dean Court this morning....so its all done and dusted...just waiting for the announcement.
Whatever his attitude has been....we all know Eddie won't allow any nonsense...so he won't get in team if he doesn't do things right. I'm fairly certain that these things have been discussed!

Hi, I'm a Huddersfield fan and will give you an objective and full rundown on Phil Billing. I appreciate you saw what he could do last season Dean Court.

Phil is a 6' 6" (taller than often quoted) box to box midfielder. The lad has the potential and attributes to go to the very top if he wants to. The significant word is 'if'????

Good with both feet, excellent short and long passing, able to spot a pass, unbelievable 30yd shot (see youtube for his first Town goal) that is on target and not out the ground. If I was to draw comparisons I would compare him in style to Patrick Vieira. He is quick and cover a lot of ground but gets stick of some Town fans for being lazy because of his languid style (being 6' 6" tall)

History-wise, Town spotted him and brought him over from Denmark at 15. It is the last 2 years under Wagner where he has stepped up. By Billing's own admission he was a bit lazy as he found it all a bit easy and seemed to be missing that drive or aggression to make the most of himself.

He was a rotation player in the promotion season and even the 1st Premier league season with Wagner challenging Billing to ad aggression to his game and compete for his starting place against Mooy and Hogg.

Something in his brain clicked last pre-season, where he was outstanding. that form carried on into last season. Alas Huddersfield although playing well just could not convert losses into draws and draws into wins (our 2-1 game with you at Dean Court was Huddersfield's season in a microcosm).

David Wagner left in January with Jan Siewert coming in. There was a clear personality clash and Phil publicly downed his tools saying something like (paraphrase, I can't see myself playing much for the rest of the season as Siewert will want to see who he wants to play next season). Something serious must have happened when the Chairman at a open 2hr Q&A stated crystal-clear any player not on the pre-season training camp were not going to have any involvement with the first team. When pushed he meant any (even reserves or training). This was Zanka, Billing and Sabiri.

His Twitter banner sums him up well "don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends upon who you are."

I've met him a couple of times and found he to be a decent lad. If you get Phil Billing 100% switched on, buying into the club and Howe's ideas you will have a fantastic player. The thing with Billing will be keeping him switched on, hungry and wanting to be the best he could be.

Good luck for the following season. I'd expect Town to have a 25% sell on clause. We do this with all players who we think have the potential to have a good career in the game (25-40% depending on player&deal)

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a Huddersfield fan and will give you an objective and full rundown on Phil Billing. I appreciate you saw what he could do last season Dean Court.

Phil is a 6' 6" (taller than often quoted) box to box midfielder. The lad has the potential and attributes to go to the very top if he wants to. The significant word is 'if'????

Good with both feet, excellent short and long passing, able to spot a pass, unbelievable 30yd shot (see youtube for his first Town goal) that is on target and not out the ground. If I was to draw comparisons I would compare him in style to Patrick Vieira. He is quick and cover a lot of ground but gets stick of some Town fans for being lazy because of his languid style (being 6' 6" tall)

History-wise, Town spotted him and brought him over from Denmark at 15. It is the last 2 years under Wagner where he has stepped up. BY Billing's own admission he was a bit lazy as he found it all a bit easy and seemed to be missing that drive or aggression to make the most of himself.

He was a rotation player in the promotion season and even the 1st Premier league season with Wagner challenging Billing to ad aggression to his game and compete for his starting place against Mooy and Hogg.

Something in his brain clicked last pre-season, where he was outstanding. that form carried on into last season. Alas Huddersfield although playing well just could not convert losses into draws and draws into wins (our 2-1 game with you at Dean Court was Huddersfield's season in a microcosm).

David Wagner left in January with Jan Siewert coming in. There was a clear personality clash and Phil publicly downed his tools saying something like (paraphrase, I can't see myself playing much for the rest of the season as Siewert will want who play next season). Something serious must have happened when the Chairman at an open 2hr Q&A stated crystal-clear any player not on the pre-season training camp were not going to have any involvement with the first team. When pushed he meant any (even reserves or training). This was Zanka, Billing and Sabiri.

His Twitter banner sums him up well "don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends upon who you are."

I've met him a couple of times and found he to be a decent lad. If you get Phil Billing 100% switched on, buying into the club and Howe's ideas you will have a fantastic player. The thing with Billing will be keeping him switched on, hungry and wanting to be the best he could be.

Good luck for the following season. I'd expect Town to have a 25% sell on clause. We do this with all players who we think have the potential to have a good career in the game (25-40% depending on player&deal)

Thanks for that, sounds like he is what we need to compliment our existing midfielders. Best of luck for the season

We're hoping he comes down n the Fraser side of the coin not the Tomlin one

Given EH's work ethic, it's easy for players to follow that lead as an example is being set, rather than an example being described and not seen to be adhered to. Every athlete I know is competitive, so when he looks around himself and sees everyone else buying in and pushing on, I'm sure he'll do the same

I think EH relishes the challenge associated with these sorts of players. There's no doubting that Billing is talented; King also came to us as a player who hadn't really lived up to his potential yet- look at him now.

He's some of his long range shooting. It's not just once in a blue moon either, his shots are usually on target even if blocked or saved:

first ever goal for Town against Nottingham Forrest

Cardiff

included the one against Southampton given they are your local rivals

There we go enjoy. I'd have liked him to stay but its clear a move is better for both Phil and the club.

A 10 min profile last summer (before the season all went wrong)

Last edited:

;