Pitch invasions - the end of an era

Someone got killed at a Wales match by a firework. Obviously a different thing from a flare, but I think a large reason why the two are lumped together on the banned list is because it's easier to ban them all than carry out a risk assessment per item as they are brought in.

Blimey, I knew about that game but hadn't heard about the poor bloke. A distress flare, what absolute w*nkers.

Nothing wrong with a good old celebratory pitchie but as usual a few idiots ruin it. No excuse for the violence towards players or managers or anyone for that matter. Anyone caught with a flare, using it or trying to get in with it, should get a 10 year ban.

'Some flares burn at incredibly hot temperatures and over the years fans in the UK and abroad have been killed by flares. We have also previously seen incidents resulting in injuries to a linesman and a child.

'Smoke cannisters also often cause breathing difficulties and discomfort to other fans which can also result in serious health issues.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...-rise-flares-says-pyrotechnics-kill-fans.html

5 minutes on google. Not sure why it’s not getting much coverage.

“We went away to Bradford and, when we scored, there was a flare that went off.

“They might be great to look at but when that flare was thrown it did burn somebody’s arm at the front of the stand. We saw the first aid people down there, they were actually treating somebody. Please think about that.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/spo...ews/port-vale-warning-smoke-bombs-6891338.amp
'Some flares burn at incredibly hot temperatures and over the years fans in the UK and abroad have been killed by flares. We have also previously seen incidents resulting in injuries to a linesman and a child.

'Smoke cannisters also often cause breathing difficulties and discomfort to other fans which can also result in serious health issues.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...-rise-flares-says-pyrotechnics-kill-fans.html

Lots of warnings about serious injuries but it doesn't appear that there are many examples of it other than a few minor burns. Obviously other than that one in the Wales game, which sounds like it was projectile injury rather than burn.

Don't get me wrong I think they are sh*t personally but it does appear the risk is overplayed a bit.

The commentator/pundit love-in with Liverpool's celebrations after the cup final last weekend, where what must have been dozens of flares and smoke bombs were sparked off all over the Liverpool section and made for a "vibrant" and "special" atmosphere in their words - only encourages it.

The current ban is obviously unworkable and pointless. Whether you go one way and have an acceptance with regulation somehow, or go the other and stiffen bans etc, I'm not sure.

Personally I don't mind the odd smoke can for a particular occasion, they can add something, and I'm all for anything that adds to atmosphere at games, often overly sterile these days. But it does seem to be getting a bit out of hand.

Swindon players attac
Someone got killed at a Wales match by a firework. Obviously a different thing from a flare, but I think a large reason why the two are lumped together on the banned list is because it's easier to ban them all than carry out a risk assessment per item as they are brought in.
i remember that well. I was there. Some goon launched a rocket from behind us into the opposite stand. At the very last second it took a sudden dip and killed the poor guy.

The only way to stop pitch invasions is to ban home support for a few games following a pitch invasion of more than 5 fans (to throw a number out there), a life ban from attending football matches and a criminal record. I worry there will be big plastic screens or fences in front of the stands if the "Great British public" can't be civil.
Recent pitch invasions remind me of England fans in the town centre during a world cup game or Leeds fans of the 80's

Can you imagine what might have happened if England had beaten Italy over the summer? There is something wrong with elements of our public at the moment. Maybe there always has been, but it feels worse now. Maybe it's an effect of lock down, a response to economic troubles, a reaction to having a totally immoral government or something else. I'm not sure, but something isn't right and I can't remember things being like this since the 80s.

Can you imagine what might have happened if England had beaten Italy over the summer? There is something wrong with elements of our public at the moment. Maybe there always has been, but it feels worse now. Maybe it's an effect of lock down, a response to economic troubles, a reaction to having a totally immoral government or something else. I'm not sure, but something isn't right and I can't remember things being like this since the 80s.
Yes, I feel the same, something is going on. On a separate note I can foresee later on this year an epidemic of flash mob looting sprees in supermarkets as the cost of living really bites.

Easy way to stop pitch invasions is to have 6 police dogs stationed around the pitch and a warning message over the tannoy. One dog is more effective than 20 stewards.

I think this is also ‘copycat’ behaviour from some after all the publicity re the Forest game.

Always happens. Remember City winning at Arsenal last season late on? They got pelted with stuff - seemed like almost every match after that for a week, there were loads of missiles thrown by the crowd.

I hear road traffic is dangerous.

Impressed that dsr is suddenly so risk averse after Covid.
I've always been willing to take risks, and if in government would be willing to allow other people to take risks, if there is benefit in taking risks. There is and was benefit in doing things that increase your risk of covid; there is no significant benefit in allowing flares in crowds.

;