Players To Come In For Next Season?

Lol.....you have to laugh at this place....when our youth team was winning cups last season there was a lovely thread full of positivity about what great futures they had but if anyone mentions any of them actually playing for us it's Whoa let's see who we can get from the Spurs youth team!...... honestly it's depressing.....we're supposed to be Bournemouth fans.
The reality may be that our youth system has not evolved to the point yet where we can produce players who are ready to perform at this level immediately. We are still a category three academy. Imagine how the likes of Pitman, Vokes and Ings would have coped back in the day if they were thrown straight into championship football. All three of them needed a period of time to develop in the lower leagues before they were ready for the second tier. I have no doubt that we have youngsters who will become good players in time, whether they are ready now is another matter. I’m not sure our academy has really come on that much in terms of the quality of younger players we are producing. The reality is that youngsters coming from a category one academy are highly likely to be better footballers, if they weren’t then they wouldn’t be in category one academies. Having said that, I’d like to see JZ and Anthony given more minutes.

Lol.....you have to laugh at this place....when our youth team was winning cups last season there was a lovely thread full of positivity about what great futures they had but if anyone mentions any of them actually playing for us it's Whoa let's see who we can get from the Spurs youth team!...... honestly it's depressing.....we're supposed to be Bournemouth fans.

Have you seen Scarlet play?

Agree with you generally, though. We do need to give the youth more chances. Kilkenny, Anthony, Taylor and Zemura all have great potential. Even Travers is being wasted. I think if we'd played some of them 2019-20, they'd have done better than the senior team.

Agree with you generally, though. We do need to give the youth more chances. Kilkenny, Anthony, Taylor and Zemura all have great potential. Even Travers is being wasted. I think if we'd played some of them 2019-20, they'd have done better than the senior team.
No I haven't seen him play.....I mean how would I have?

Oh don’t be so dramatic! ;-)

Travers blew his big audition against Blackburn last season. It’s cruel, but he’ll be lucky to get many more.

The reality may be that our youth system has not evolved to the point yet where we can produce players who are ready to perform at this level immediately. We are still a category three academy. Imagine how the likes of Pitman, Vokes and Ings would have coped back in the day if they were thrown straight into championship football. All three of them needed a period of time to develop in the lower leagues before they were ready for the second tier. I have no doubt that we have youngsters who will become good players in time, whether they are ready now is another matter. I’m not sure our academy has really come on that much in terms of the quality of younger players we are producing. The reality is that youngsters coming from a category one academy are highly likely to be better footballers, if they weren’t then they wouldn’t be in category one academies. Having said that, I’d like to see JZ and Anthony given more minutes.

Exactly, good post.

Also people like votes, pitman etc got chances at not only a lower division, but when we had a tiny wage and pretty much non existent transfer budget. We were pretty always a mid table side, with the odd relegation scrap or the odd playoff push every few years.

Expectation was generally mid table. Most things have changed dramatically and now a top 2 challenge is expected, or top 6 at worse. Budget is huge for the league and the squad is made of many players that cost over 10 million.

Some of these youngsters could come good, but realistically most of them need consistent 1st team football soon, or they won't realise their potential. Not sure they'll get that with us for now, pressure on manager to get results pretty much immediately.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I recall groves started playing several youngsters just before he was sacked. There were calls for that to happen on here too. Results went from bad to worse and none of them were seen much or ever again in a bournemouth shirt.

Maybe one day we will get back to the exciting days of signing the likes of Hugh Riley and Frank Barton.

I'm missing the quality of narada, hart and marcos painter jostling for the left back slot.

Tbf we've regularly had top left backs who'd walk into most league 1 sides. Tge likes of Vincent, Cummings, wiggins, malone etc. All good enough for championship sides in their prime.

I'm missing the quality of narada, hart and marcos painter jostling for the left back slot.

Tbf we've regularly had top left backs who'd walk into most league 1 sides. Tge likes of Vincent, Cummings, wiggins, malone etc. All good enough for championship sides in their prime.
And further back Jamie Vincent and Paul Morrell....sadly we have no natural left backs/of a championship quality now (assuming Kelly - who has been our stand out player in both friendlies plays at left sided centre back)

And further back Jamie Vincent and Paul Morrell....sadly we have no natural left backs/of a championship quality now (assuming Kelly - who has been our stand out player in both friendlies plays at left sided centre back)

yeah and the ones I mentioned (including Vincent) were attacking full backs, liked to overlap. not so sure Kelly or Rico fit that mould, which is surprising considering how Howe like to play, at least before our recent demise from the PL.

and gosh, how did I forget Daniels!

so although Kelly is decent, Rico wiould get into most sides at this level, we may be looking at more attack minded left backs, depending how Parker wants to play. Kelly may end up playing more frequently in the centre, with the odd game as cover at left back if needed. So its not necessarily the strangest thing in the world if we are looking at signing another left back.

Last edited:

;