Post-match thoughts v Spurs

I assume you've never played football before. Which is ok btw. He broke free from his marker on the wing and drove infield and forward with the ball at pace to take us up the pitch. Haven't seen anyone do that here like that since Josh King. Like I said his final product needs work (maybe why he hasn't properly settled anywhere?), but he was looking to make things happen and was close to doing so. I wouldn't say he was ineffective.
Agreed. Really thought he looked like a bright spark. Often picking up good positions and drifting past opponents into central areas, surprised there is so much negativity around him.

Rothwell was awful today. He doesn’t cut it at this level when exposed at CDM. He was getting constant instructions from Andoni.

Three games, three different forward lines. I’m wondering if some consistency would help them form patterns.
Agree about Rothwell. I feel like when you are playing such a high intensity pressing game, your central midfielders both need to be have the physicality, stamina and speed to both engage in their duals and to cover ground quickly when the game becomes stretched. I like Rothwell but he just isn’t suited to this way of playing at all, the Spurs midfielders were drifting past him as if he wasn’t there and even when he did get close enough he was getting turned easily and just couldn’t keep up. He looked very good in a low block where he had more defensive support around him, but he’s getting exposed right now. You could see the midfield area looked more solid when Cook came on.

This is my point about the squad. We’ve signed a manager who historically plays high press and chance creation/taking. We’ve bought him ten forward players who are bang average with the exception of Tavs. We are now looking at more presumably because he doesn’t rate them. Look at the money we’ve spent on forward players and none of them look like creating or scoring.
I think Dango is a good player too, but I get your point. Some of the players signed are not suited to this way of playing, Traore is the prime example really. He actually shows in glimpses the potential to be that creative spark we crave, however there is just no way he will ever be cut out to play in a high pressing side. One of our marquee summer signings cannot function effectively in the system our new manager plays, to the point that he would rather play a player who got one goal and zero assists last season. You do really have to question the recruitment.

Has anybody besides myself realised that the only point we have taken this season was down to a fluke goal that was scored as a result of a lucky deflection into the path of Solanke.

This is not good and we are simply mis-firing.

I think Dango is a good player too, but I get your point. Some of the players signed are not suited to this way of playing, Traore is the prime example really. He actually shows in glimpses the potential to be that creative spark we crave, however there is just no way he will ever be cut out to play in a high pressing side. One of our marquee summer signings cannot function effectively in the system our new manager plays, to the point that he would rather play a player who got one goal and zero assists last season. You do really have to question the recruitment.

He was a January signing with an obligation to buy.

Just seen the two Spurs goals again on the News...f√ck me it was like taking sweets off babies....the defenders were stood there like Netball subs waiting to come on.
When I watched it earlier it seemed like it was Spurs pace that done us..but No it wasn't that....I'm not sure the players are taking it seriously enough because it's early season...and the big pressures are not there yet...come February and there is the drop looming they will suddenly move into a gear to save their PL status.
Just trying to fathom it all.
I don't think I'm far off the mark....patterns exist in this league !

He was a January signing with an obligation to buy.
I’m aware, but perhaps we shouldn’t have committed to such a deal if we were not 100% certain we would continue under GON if we had survived. It’s all well and good signing talented players, but successful clubs sign talented players that suit their intended style of play and direction. We have made too many signings who aren’t necessarily bad players, but they just don’t suit the direction we intended to go in.

Just seen the two Spurs goals again on the News...f√ck me it was like taking sweets off babies....the defenders were stood there like Netball subs waiting to come on.
When I watched it earlier it seemed like it was Spurs pace that done us..but No it wasn't that....I'm not sure the players are taking it seriously enough because it's early season...and the big pressures are not there yet...come February and there is the drop looming they will suddenly move into a gear to save their PL status.
Just trying to fathom.it all.

Haven't watched it on TV, but thought at the game we looked very soft with their goals.

May as well have just saved everyone the hassle and walked it into the net for them tbh.

I’m aware, but perhaps we shouldn’t have committed to such a deal if we were not 100% certain we would continue under GON if we had survived. It’s all well and good signing talented players, but successful clubs sign talented players that suit their intended style of play and direction. We have made too many signings who aren’t necessarily bad players, but they just don’t suit the direction we intended to go in.
Like Chelsea? How could the club possibly know in Jan which league we would be in let alone who would be manager

Not just him, so many average forwards that can’t score or assist signed by the chuckle brothers for a fortune.

Then they left a Lerma sized hole and let Pearson leave as well without a replacement for either.

They used to spend a fortune on average managers and average players.

They’ve finally got a young talented coach but are blunting him with their inept expensive and late purchases.

Not just him, so many average forwards that can’t score or assist signed by the chuckle brothers for a fortune.

Then they left a Lerma sized hole and let Pearson leave as well without a replacement for either.

They used to spend a fortune on average managers and average players.

They’ve finally got a young talented coach but are blunting him with their inept expensive and late purchases.
Thought you'd enjoy that post from KK :D

The fans I feel sorry for are my increasing 'sect' of Ignorees..Christ knows how many now.....at a time when they need guidance and answers...and are instead also dipping out on my searing truths and alternative analysis.
If anyone knows any of them...tell them i'll happily welcome them back with no admonishments or repercussions.
We are All Cherries ! :wave:

If it remains as it is..no worries I'm still enjoying getting stuff off my head !

Has anybody besides myself realised that the only point we have taken this season was down to a fluke goal that was scored as a result of a lucky deflection into the path of Solanke.

This is not good and we are simply mis-firing.
And that makes you REALLY hap[y, doesn't it Steven??

;