Racist Abuse

With all due respect or whatever...the ' taking the knee ' hasn't worked.

As long as the platforms exist on gadgets connected to the Communication Media(s) in general...then how can it be stopped...some of today's births will become the idiots down the line...and so it will continue...unless massive cultural changes evolve.
And Its not exclusively a Football problem!

I'm not going to stoop to answering that. If you want to hijack this thread presumably to make yourself feel more secure in your political beliefs that can be between you and your conscience. :)

PS maybe I'm sensitive about neanderthals because I bear more than a passing resemblance to this chap (especially since lockdown)
View attachment 6051

Hijack a thread about racism by pointing out the reaction that the players' anti racist gesture has received from members of the actual government? This is off-the-scale cognitive dissonance.

Hijack a thread about racism by pointing out the reaction that the players' anti racist gesture has received from members of the actual government? This is off-the-scale cognitive dissonance.

This. When the government have gone on GBTV or whatever it's called and said that the players should not take the knee and other embarrassing comments, how can it not be part of the conversation?

With all due respect or whatever...the ' taking the knee ' hasn't worked. QUOTE]

Depends what you mean by it hasn’t worked. The team have collectively and visibly shown their opposition to racism at a huge high profile event. They have been criticised and abused for it. The fact that there is ongoing debate and discussion tells me that it has ‘worked’.

And it can’t not be political. Johnson has made comments in the past that many would consider as racist. He and Patel have defended the right of spectators to boo players taking the knee. Logically that would extend to having the right to boo national anthems. They may not agree with it but to make such comments undermines the sentiment and gives succour to those who choose to boo. The Tory line is that taking the knee is supporting a Marxist movement that wants it destroy the family. Clear nonsense. Maybe players just want to collectively show an absolute opposition to the racism that many of their colleagues face every day?

It’s also linked to the team’s stance with regard to LGBT rights. The rainbow laces. It matters to some. Football is behind the rest of society with this. There are no openly gay footballers, why? Because the same knuckle heads and racists that boo the knee would abuse them. I can’t think of any other job or profession where being openly gay is any sort of issue.

I don’t think I heard the knee booed last night. If that’s the case I’d say that is a huge step forward. It won’t end racism but it might make the public showing of it less acceptable.

Footballers are role models and heroes to the young. How they act and what they say is important in influencing young people.

Southgate has shown great leadership and the team have been a great example to us all.

The Mail. Part of the problem not the solution.

Johnson should now say that he will support and enable a campaign to identify all those people writing anything that is racist. In addition identify all those who have been seen committing offences including breaking down barriers to storm the ground. Identify and arrest them. Plenty of footage available. Send a message that this will not be tolerated.

Clubs could support this by banning all those identified and convicted from their grounds.

Yep ..your post content Fritter, is highly relevant and topical...and we can only wait and see how it all pans out long-term.

But with this PM...he is only ever going pay Lip Service to any initiatives regarding Racism and LGBT etc...or anything outside his own interests...which is the Economy for the Rich...and add in that he is a Rugby fan...Football references are once again Lip Service out of 'duty'...keep Prince William sweet...oh its all in there !

Last edited:
Individual responsibility a bit lacking....

A man was repeatedly kicked in the head by fellow England fans amid despicable scenes as chaos ensued inside Wembley Stadium on Sunday.

England fan repeatedly kicked in head as teen punched in face amid Wembley chaos (msn.com)

This was widely shared by journalists last night and incorrectly stated as being English supporters attacking Italians after they lost. There was lots of talk about how dangerous it was for away fans around the ground yet I've not seen anything that substantiates this.

Obviously English supporters have had their name dragged through the mud, with some justification. It's also clear that there's lots of things being incorrectly attributed to English supporters or completely misrepresented.

Sad thing is these people were probably waiting for the moment for our guys to miss and then go online and abuse them .

Part of the reason it’s always been club football before international football for me.

All the war songs, general xenophobia, milwall estates full of St George flags etc… smacks of a small island and small thinking people in it desperately trying to cling on to its colonial past. Lo and behold look who gets the blame when they miss rather than the bloke who thought people who hadn’t even got the weight of the ball sorted in their head should take a penalty kick. (Other than that he got most things right so not an attack on Southgate).

A good months watch diffusing into riots, racism and we all head back down the chip shop with a can of Carling at least knowing we got our culture, country and blue passports back.

I'm not going to stoop to answering that. If you want to hijack this thread presumably to make yourself feel more secure in your political beliefs that can be between you and your conscience. :)

PS maybe I'm sensitive about neanderthals because I bear more than a passing resemblance to this chap (especially since lockdown)
View attachment 6051
Er didn't you hijack it before me, presumably to make yourself feel better?

This was widely shared by journalists last night and incorrectly stated as being English supporters attacking Italians after they lost. There was lots of talk about how dangerous it was for away fans around the ground yet I've not seen anything that substantiates this.

Obviously English supporters have had their name dragged through the mud, with some justification. It's also clear that there's lots of things being incorrectly attributed to English supporters or completely misrepresented.
The best way to stop the reputation being dragged through the mud is to sweep news of bad behaviour under the carpet.

The tiny minority who are responsible must all have been identified by now and have banning orders and curfews surely.

Wembley has not had a good tournament, laser pens, tickect less fans, booing national anthems

I found it very noticeable that although half the England team are black or mixed race the supporters at their games were overwhelmingly white and that's obviously because of the amount of racists amongst the hooligans.

Part of the reason it’s always been club football before international football for me.

All the war songs, general xenophobia, milwall estates full of St George flags etc… smacks of a small island and small thinking people in it desperately trying to cling on to its colonial past. Lo and behold look who gets the blame when they miss rather than the bloke who thought people who hadn’t even got the weight of the ball sorted in their head should take a penalty kick. (Other than that he got most things right so not an attack on Southgate).

A good months watch diffusing into riots, racism and we all head back down the chip shop with a can of Carling at least knowing we got our culture, country and blue passports back.

I also struggle to get emotional about international football. It seems that every time I try and muster some patriotism something like this happens which resets the whole process.

There's parts of this country that I love and I feel incredibly privileged to have been born and lived large parts of my life here. There's also many parts that I abhor and feel thoroughly ashamed of. I therefore struggle when its all grouped together under one flag that we're supposed to cheer and be proud of. It just doesn't work for me (as much as I'd like it to as football tournaments are meant to be a bit of fun after all)

I also think part of it is down to having lived abroad for large parts of my adult life and therefore having family, friends and colleagues in many different places. Wonder if any of the other exiles feel this too?

The best way to stop the reputation being dragged through the mud is to sweep news of bad behaviour under the carpet.

The tiny minority who are responsible must all have been identified by now and have banning orders and curfews surely.

Wembley has not had a good tournament, laser pens, tickect less fans, booing national anthems

As ever I've no idea what you're talking about.

This behaviour needs to be addressed and stamped out. England suffers terribly from it but if you think it's exclusively an English problem then you are the one guilty of brushing bad behaviour under the carpet.

This is an entire thread dedicated to condemning this behaviour. Reporting things incorrectly is not appropriate either.

Johnson really gunned for them saying er...they should be ashamed of themselves. Tough on crime? Some crimes are obviously not that bad.

The other very irritating thing is how easy it is for social media giants to sort this out. And how little pressure governments put on them to do so.

You can’t tell me that the missus has only got to google a patio chair and we get landscaped garden adverts for ever more on every device but they can’t make people sign up for social media sites with a scanned form of ID and a verified address. I opened a whole bank account for my daughter in 20mins the other day…

The other very irritating thing is how easy it is for social media giants to sort this out. And how little pressure governments put on them to do so.

You can’t tell me that the missus has only got to google a patio chair and we get landscaped garden adverts for ever more on every device but they can’t make people sign up for social media sites with a scanned form of ID and a verified address. I opened a whole bank account for my daughter in 20mins the other day…
I sort of agree, but ultimately the responsibility lies with the sad individuals who do it and their apologists.

;