Racist Abuse

The best way to stop the reputation being dragged through the mud is to sweep news of bad behaviour under the carpet.

The tiny minority who are responsible must all have been identified by now and have banning orders and curfews surely.

Wembley has not had a good tournament, laser pens, tickect less fans, booing national anthems

Sweep it under the carpet? Are you serious?

All have been identified by now - how do you know?

I thought your posts on the pandemic were stupid but this…?

The other very irritating thing is how easy it is for social media giants to sort this out. And how little pressure governments put on them to do so.

You can’t tell me that the missus has only got to google a patio chair and we get landscaped garden adverts for ever more on every device but they can’t make people sign up for social media sites with a scanned form of ID and a verified address. I opened a whole bank account for my daughter in 20mins the other day…
I think I mentioned this before but a friend of mine put the word "dyke" on his Twitter feed referring to the name of a local water filled ditch, and he received a warning from Twitter so it's pretty clear that they can target certain words and phrases but clearly choose not to do so.

Er didn't you hijack it before me, presumably to make yourself feel better?

You hadn't commented when I made the original post which I'd foolishly hoped to dissuade the political nonsense but you did follow it up with a political response.

It just feels to me that labelling everyone outside your political clique as racist means tackling racism stops becoming about addressing a cancer in society and starts to become about removing political opposition.

Part of the reason it’s always been club football before international football for me.

All the war songs, general xenophobia, milwall estates full of St George flags etc… smacks of a small island and small thinking people in it desperately trying to cling on to its colonial past. Lo and behold look who gets the blame when they miss rather than the bloke who thought people who hadn’t even got the weight of the ball sorted in their head should take a penalty kick. (Other than that he got most things right so not an attack on Southgate).

A good months watch diffusing into riots, racism and we all head back down the chip shop with a can of Carling at least knowing we got our culture, country and blue passports back.

Thank god there's no racist Bournemouth supporters
https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/non-christs-its-hot.12194/#post-399084

The other very irritating thing is how easy it is for social media giants to sort this out. And how little pressure governments put on them to do so.

You can’t tell me that the missus has only got to google a patio chair and we get landscaped garden adverts for ever more on every device but they can’t make people sign up for social media sites with a scanned form of ID and a verified address. I opened a whole bank account for my daughter in 20mins the other day…
Yes I agree, if twitter/Instagram got fined for evey racist tweet, then they'd sort this out in a few weeks. They might suspend accounts, but you can set up a new one in seconds

You hadn't commented when I made the original post which I'd foolishly hoped to dissuade the political nonsense but you did follow it up with a political response.

It just feels to me that labelling everyone outside your political clique as racist means tackling racism stops becoming about addressing a cancer in society and starts to become about removing political opposition.
What an utterly poor response. My point was that some people (including Johnson) had already taken this into the political arena.

And I don't know if your second paragraph was specifically aimed in my direction but I would certainly refute the suggestion that I label everyone outside my 'clique' as racist.

I do thank you for your earlier post crediting me with a conscience.

I think I mentioned this before but a friend of mine put the word "dyke" on his Twitter feed referring to the name of a local water filled ditch, and he received a warning from Twitter so it's pretty clear that they can target certain words and phrases but clearly choose not to do so.

I got a warning last night in replying to that **** Darren Grimes posting about Rashford.

He deserved it though the ****ing ****ing ****

As Will Self once said to Mark Francois on BBC1, "Not all those who voted for Brexit are racists but all racists voted for Brexit"

Reactions: drd
Why are you bringing Brexit into this? This society was just as racist whilst we were in the EU

Why not? It all makes good debate.

I was actually responding to the Kudos comment that 'labelling everyone outside your political clique as racist means tackling racism stops' is not a true state of affairs and that people, like to misunderstand others' comments, as Francois did when Self said this, to make political capital.

To take your point, we do live in a racist society, which is abominable, and are currently led by a very dangerous racist clique, who only make things worse by encouraging (or do not discourage) crowds to boo the taking of a knee. This plays a large part in the continuation of our racist society and then finds a home with ignorant people in the football world.

It will only be stopped when we educate people properly (another political issue) and learn to live in peace with one another.

If that means I am woke then I am proud to be so.

What an utterly poor response. My point was that some people (including Johnson) had already taken this into the political arena.

And I don't know if your second paragraph was specifically aimed in my direction but I would certainly refute the suggestion that I label everyone outside my 'clique' as racist.

I do thank you for your earlier post crediting me with a conscience.

Fine I'll bite

Johnson was drawn into the kneeing stuff, he was asked, he didn't volunteer but that's democracy.

He said the following.

The prime minister “fully respects the right of those who choose to peacefully protest and make their feelings known”, the spokesman said, adding: “On taking the knee, specifically, the prime minister is more focused on action rather than gestures. We have taken action with things like the Commission on Racial and Ethnic Disparities and that’s what he’s focused on delivering.”

This is a quote (from the Grauniad) and a couple of months after government probes into extremism in BLM.

Reads to me like supporting the individual right to protest, an acknowledgement of improvements needed in racial equality with the promise of tangible action but no comment on BLM which is under investigation for links with extremism.

Not you solely for the second paragraph but so far Tory voters, Brexit voters, England fans as whole, readers of the Mail, anyone who doesn't actively support BLM have been accused of racism.

I don't doubt you have a conscience :)

More generally I've found recently politics has reminded me of a book "Against Empathy: The Case for Rational Compassion" that I read about 5 or so years ago. Even recommended by the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-the-empathy-instinct-peter-bazalgette-review

It's difficult to summarize without applying my bias but the gist is; well meaning empathy creates a muddled but certain mindset that leads to actions that are often divisive and sometimes net 'evil' and a more detached rational compassion should be applied.

As Will Self once said to Mark Francois on BBC1, "Not all those who voted for Brexit are racists but all racists voted for Brexit"

Only stupid racists voted for Brexit, a smart racist would realise you'd be trading Romanian immigrants for ones of potentially darker hue.

Fine I'll bite

Johnson was drawn into the kneeing stuff, he was asked, he didn't volunteer but that's democracy.

He said the following.

The prime minister “fully respects the right of those who choose to peacefully protest and make their feelings known”, the spokesman said, adding: “On taking the knee, specifically, the prime minister is more focused on action rather than gestures. We have taken action with things like the Commission on Racial and Ethnic Disparities and that’s what he’s focused on delivering.”

This is a quote (from the Grauniad) and a couple of months after government probes into extremism in BLM.

Reads to me like supporting the individual right to protest, an acknowledgement of improvements needed in racial equality with the promise of tangible action but no comment on BLM which is under investigation for links with extremism.

Not you solely for the second paragraph but so far Tory voters, Brexit voters, England fans as whole, readers of the Mail, anyone who doesn't actively support BLM have been accused of racism.

I don't doubt you have a conscience :)

More generally I've found recently politics has reminded me of a book "Against Empathy: The Case for Rational Compassion" that I read about 5 or so years ago. Even recommended by the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-the-empathy-instinct-peter-bazalgette-review

It's difficult to summarize without applying my bias but the gist is; well meaning empathy creates a muddled but certain mindset that leads to actions that are often divisive and sometimes net 'evil' and a more detached rational compassion should be applied.

Only stupid racists voted for Brexit, a smart racist would realise you'd be trading Romanian immigrants for ones of potentially darker hue.

I respect your view and your entitlement to hold it.

It is clear, on this issue, that we will never agree.

However, on AFC Bournemouth matters we are, I hope, as one.

:utc:

Why not? It all makes good debate.

I was actually responding to the Kudos comment that 'labelling everyone outside your political clique as racist means tackling racism stops' is not a true state of affairs and that people, like to misunderstand others' comments, as Francois did when Self said this, to make political capital.

To take your point, we do live in a racist society, which is abominable, and are currently led by a very dangerous racist clique, who only make things worse by encouraging (or do not discourage) crowds to boo the taking of a knee. This plays a large part in the continuation of our racist society and then finds a home with ignorant people in the football world.

It will only be stopped when we educate people properly (another political issue) and learn to live in peace with one another.

If that means I am woke then I am proud to be so.

I certainly haven't used the word "woke", to be honest I haven't a clue what it means.

I think we are in broad agreement here, I just didn't see that bringing Brexit in to this debate leant anything to it, it just seemed (and apologies if this was not how it was meant) like another cheap anti-Brexit shot.

I am totally with you in that education is the key for the young, but we also have to find a way to get through to the "generationally racist" element we have in our society. If this means that we need to ensure that all social media platforms have clearly identifiable authors, so be it. If it means people going to prison for tweets like that from the Savill's guy last night, so be it.

If we don't address the issue soon, the PM in 2040 will be wringing his/her hands about "unacceptable" social media abuse following England's exit from Euro2040, and the SM companies will still be doing fuck all about it

I respect your view and your entitlement to hold it.

It is clear, on this issue, that we will never agree.

However, on AFC Bournemouth matters we are, I hope, as one.

:utc:

No worries, it seems no opinion is ever changed on an internet forum!

As much as two Cherries supporters ever are! ;)

;