safe standing/railed seating

would you like to see railed seating at the Vitality Stadium

• yes

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • no

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
...yeah the taking the tops off thing is a bit ridiculous...doesn't stop someone filling a bottle and throwing it at all...

...yeah the taking the tops off thing is a bit ridiculous...doesn't stop someone filling a bottle and throwing it at all...
Taking the tops off is a more health and safety issue. It is deemed that a bottle with a lid on is less likely to crush under foot in the event of a crush, therefore presenting a trip/slip hazard for people trying to exit.

Taking the tops off is a more health and safety issue. It is deemed that a bottle with a lid on is less likely to crush under foot in the event of a crush, therefore presenting a trip/slip hazard for people trying to exit.
..okay I understand that, so is this only at football then?....also the things I nearly tripped over were those bloody clapper things strewn all over the walkways!

..okay I understand that, so is this only at football then?....also the things I nearly tripped over were those bloody clapper things strewn all over the walkways!
Is this only at football seems to be a pertinent question on this thread.
The clappers is a good question, as the wrong way round (spines up) they won't collapse either.....

For me it's more the being treated like children all the time. We can't give you a top on your coke bottle. We need to search every last one of you (even when no other club does this) and even unzip your coat and have a look underneath your hat. We can't let you have a pint near the pitch, or have a pint even within sight of the pitch, you must stand behind the yellow line on the concourse floor, until you finish your drink. You've little chance of being able to sit near your mates/family unless your ticket purchasing coordination is spot on.

Going to football (and Dean Court more so than most other grounds) is really quite tiresome and joyless. If it wasn't for the unbelievable success and brilliance of our actual football team of course. If the team were as crap as they were in decades gone past - why would anyone go and get sucked into it for life these days?

Have you ever been to a Twickenham Rugby match and seen the drunken silliness that goes on there? Also see the viral footage lately of fights between toffs at posh race horse meetings. These days football somehow seems the more polite and family oriented spectator sport. But the regulations and law are yet to recognise that, for me.

I wouldn't necessarily want drinking allowed everywhere in all the stands, perhaps resulting in beer going everywhere whenever a goal is scored, not nice for families etc. But maybe specific sections where a pint at the seat is allowed? Might be worth a trial. But it's more the overall tone and treatment we receive that gets me.

"Also see the viral footage lately of fights between toffs at posh race horse meetings"
Toffs don't fight at race meetings believe me, they are yobs who have to dress up to obey the dress code.
Whenever I have been to a race meeting the bars are full up with people who have no intent of seeing the races.
Why pay 25 quid to stand at a bar, where the beer is shite and over priced?
I go to the sports to watch.

but a bottle without a lid is guaranteed to spill it's contents in such situations, making the floor even more slippy and dangerous?

Yes, standing in the South end in the early 70's when there were 16,000+ people at the ground was great (obviously I was a lot younger then!) but generally the same people gathered around us in the same spot every match and if somebody was too annoying or too tall you could always move - not like now - happy days.
I'd be interested to know what people like Kenny Dalglish, who I respect immensely, think of safe standing?

They're keen to stress that this isn't a safe-standing solution. To me this is just bringing it in without too many changes to the law being required.

Most of that end at Wolves stand anyway so its hard to think that when they put these barriers in they will make everyone sit down.

I personally would always prefer to stand however this middle ground idea has some serious limitations.

Years gone by standing in the South End, New Stand or terraces away from home if someone tall gets in front of you, you simply move to a better viewing position. At Palace on Sunday it was awful a guy close to 7Ft tall was stood up in front of me & I was powerless to do anything. Unfair to expect him to sit down as then he cant see but ridiculous that I was not able to move or do anything about it (thank god it was a single match and not a season ticket scenario.

Just thought of a solution, an adjustable individual platform to stand on everyone gets one and you adjust yours to the height of the tallest person in the stadium. SORTED. (Don't worry about the trip hazards kid currently stand on the seats anyway)

First stage is to divide seated areas into persistent standing and persistent seating. No point in sticking fingers in ears and pretending nobody stands up. My elderly father has only been to two premier league away games he stopped because in both of those people stood in front of him, he didn’t see anything and all of his vain requests for them to sit down were met with ignorant, rude replies.

Now, I like to stand up all game too so I can see both sides but the resolution to this is so easy yet because official bodies can’t face the fact it happens it gets ignored.

First stage is to divide seated areas into persistent standing and persistent seating. No point in sticking fingers in ears and pretending nobody stands up. My elderly father has only been to two premier league away games he stopped because in both of those people stood in front of him, he didn’t see anything and all of his vain requests for them to sit down were met with ignorant, rude replies.

Now, I like to stand up all game too so I can see both sides but the resolution to this is so easy yet because official bodies can’t face the fact it happens it gets ignored.

The Palace idea worked well. The front five rows of the away section were designated as seating rows and from what I saw everyone down there complied with it.

I personally would always prefer to stand however this middle ground idea has some serious limitations.

Years gone by standing in the South End, New Stand or terraces away from home if someone tall gets in front of you, you simply move to a better viewing position. At Palace on Sunday it was awful a guy close to 7Ft tall was stood up in front of me & I was powerless to do anything. Unfair to expect him to sit down as then he cant see but ridiculous that I was not able to move or do anything about it (thank god it was a single match and not a season ticket scenario.

Just thought of a solution, an adjustable individual platform to stand on everyone gets one and you adjust yours to the height of the tallest person in the stadium. SORTED. (Don't worry about the trip hazards kid currently stand on the seats anyway)
Gulp. I did wonder if Palace should have advertised restricted viewing behind me like they do for the pillars.
Was it you and your kids in row 22 ?

Gulp. I did wonder if Palace should have advertised restricted viewing behind me like they do for the pillars.
Was it you and your kids in row 22 ?

No, not you Gary, my group were in either row 33 or 34.

I witnessed one (very tall) chap being asked to sit down by a steward because he was blocking the view of some of the people that were on the elevated wheelchair platform. Once again perfectly understandable but when he sat down he couldn't see because everyone in front of him were standing.

It is a difficult situation to resolve without adopting some form of traditional standing where people are free to move around, this would also enable people to buy tickets and then be with their mates rather than several rows or sections apart. but how can this possibly happen after Hillsborough, Taylor report and the massive safety concerns?

No, not you Gary, my group were in either row 33 or 34.

I witnessed one (very tall) chap being asked to sit down by a steward because he was blocking the view of some of the people that were on the elevated wheelchair platform. Once again perfectly understandable but when he sat down he couldn't see because everyone in front of him were standing.

It is a difficult situation to resolve without adopting some form of traditional standing where people are free to move around, this would also enable people to buy tickets and then be with their mates rather than several rows or sections apart. but how can this possibly happen after Hillsborough, Taylor report and the massive safety concerns?
Being 6'5" I am conscious of those behind me, and if people in front of me are sat down, i will (begrudgingly) sit down too. Flip side is, football seating is not designed for people like me, worse than a Ryanair to Oz if they ever decided to fly there!

;