Safe standing

I'm proud to report I'm not in a wheelchair yet and this isn't an invitation to put me in one.
There’s another thread where people are threatening to put each other in wheelchairs going on with Argumentative Del and Dibby if you are feeling left out….

Being too young to be impacted emotionally by all the disasters that preceded the all seated mandate I've always felt a bit like you. I mentioned it on another thread a while ago and got some good replies.

I couldn't find the thread unfortunately but I did find this gem
View attachment 13434

I'm proud to report I'm not in a wheelchair yet and this isn't an invitation to put me in one.
Join us. You know it makes sense ;-)

The bit I don’t get with any of this, on a side note, is what was unsafe about the way people stood by their seats before. Were there loads of injuries happening? Anybody lost a relative to a last minute winner v Charlton?

Ive stood at hundreds of away games in wild scenes at times and never seen anyone injured or even suffered a mild graze. Contrast this to the 80’s and terrace surges where people got trampled, flattened and ended up miles away from where they started.

Why do we actually need to be told how to stand safely? The modern world is so smothering.
After one particularly agonising miss on Sunday I kinda slumped down head in hands fashion. Forgot about the rail and (quite softly) banged my forehead on it. It's 'elf and safety gone mad I tell ya! One day it might knock some sense into me.

...Contrast this to the 80’s and terrace surges where people got trampled, flattened and ended up miles away from where they started...
... and what great times they were... Starting off under the clock at the back of the South stand, scoring and surging forward... I recall looking behind me once and seeing the back third of the south stand completely empty as everyone was surging forward...

Probably not for everyone but I bet today's younger fans would love that still...

Can we pick somewhere a bit closer, that's a crap journey and the trains will probably be on strike.
Yeah but pick anywhere closer and it might have to happen.

This is the metaphorical equivalent of when you stand shouting come on then for fifteen mins with your arms outstretched and your mates drag you away much to your secret relief…

I don't want to be all "nanny state" but from a health and safety viewpoint it would only take one trip up (more so in very steep high tiers, which I know our ground doesn't have) and the consequences can be easily imagined. Yes I admit it's not too much of an issue in our stands as they are relatively shallow but you can imagine what could happen, in say that upper tier at Newcastle. There have been enough disasters at football grounds around the world that having a simple bar to lean is not really a problem in the scheme of things

Agree with whst you're saying.

But taking this kind of thing to logical conclusion, nobody would ever leave the house if yku fsctored in the risk of something adverse happening.

There's been no major disaster on back of fans standing at any game whilst standing in seated areas... to best of my knowledge.

Tbh terracing didn't need to go in the first place. Just needed police to do their jobs properly in tge first place (Hillsborough).

Acceptable risk needs to be, and likely is, assessed with everything in life. Then probability of it happening v cost v inconvenience/spoiling something.

Might as well reduce motorway speed limit to 10mph, never get on a plane, go to bars/clubs, ride horses etc. Ration what people can eat or remove junk foods from shekf as they can't be trusted to not get fat. Force people to exercise. Take alcohol, vapes, betting away as people hsvr no self control.

Getting carried away of course and bot saying that's your point mate...

Yiu start moving into 'What if' territory and tge authorities end up strangling everything to death on the tiny chance something adverse 'may' happen.

Yeah but pick anywhere closer and it might have to happen.

This is the metaphorical equivalent of when you stand shouting come on then for fifteen mins with your arms outstretched and your mates drag you away much to your secret relief…

It isn't going to happen. I couldn't imagine anything less worth fighting about than arguments on a football messageboard.

Might as well reduce motorway speed limit to 10mph, never get on a plane, go to bars/clubs, ride horses etc.
Tangent time.

Went to naughty school for speeding on dual carriageway that was reduced to 50.

Got my back up from the first sentence when they said "speed is a factor in 90% of all accidents" and I had to bite my lip to avoid making a comment that without speed, i.e. the ability to move, cars are somewhat pointless and could they tell me more about the 10% of motor accidents where no vehicles are moving.

Speeding or driving too fast for the conditions accounts for about 5-10% of accidents depending on that statistic you use.

I don't want to be all "nanny state" but from a health and safety viewpoint it would only take one trip up (more so in very steep high tiers, which I know our ground doesn't have) and the consequences can be easily imagined. Yes I admit it's not too much of an issue in our stands as they are relatively shallow but you can imagine what could happen, in say that upper tier at Newcastle. There have been enough disasters at football grounds around the world that having a simple bar to lean is not really a problem in the scheme of things

That doesn’t make sense to me. The only problems if at all come with goals.. where people get excited and jump around, hug etc.

Everyone stands up for goals in all the stands. So if you are really worried about people safety you’d have the railings in all seats.

I’ve also seen people run down the stairs when teams score and slip. Do we try and make stairs safer.

There’s nothing I’ve seen that logically explains the need for it. If it helps people stand up legitimately again I’m all for it, I just don’t get the logic.

I was in block 28 in the Ted Shed as a points holder. Squeezed out of block 27 as I was 30 seconds late buying my ticket probably. 28 was a morgue compared to 27. Only me and one other bloke chanting along with those we could hear from the next block over. I never really realised how tepid our fans are once you get away from the more passionate sections. And that was in a rip roarer of a game. Really poor.
In contrast, and I don't know if it
was improved acoustics as a result of safe standing, I could hear the NS loud and clear throughout. That did sound different from normal and a real improvement.
Could have been the deathly hush of block 28 I suppose.

In response to a previous post: There HAVE been tragedies i all seater stadiums. But the issues were overcrowding and poor stewarding/policing. So neither seating nor terracing per se were the reason. Indeed Justice Taylor made that point in the Hillsborouh report.

So we ended up with stupid laws and changes to stadiums that really didn’t make sense.

I also don’t think that rail seats are the final stop on this journey.

In response to a previous post: There HAVE been tragedies i all seater stadiums. But the issues were overcrowding and poor stewarding/policing. So neither seating nor terracing per se were the reason. Indeed Justice Taylor made that point in the Hillsborouh report.

So we ended up with stupid laws and changes to stadiums that really didn’t make sense.

I also don’t think that rail seats are the final stop on this journey.

Exactly. Applies to many things that are changed/'managed'.

Looks sounds good and thst action is being taken, but not doesn't akways appear to offer much benefit in reality, but pays lip service and that the authorities do care etc etc.

Tangent time.

Went to naughty school for speeding on dual carriageway that was reduced to 50.

Got my back up from the first sentence when they said "speed is a factor in 90% of all accidents" and I had to bite my lip to avoid making a comment that without speed, i.e. the ability to move, cars are somewhat pointless and could they tell me more about the 10% of motor accidents where no vehicles are moving.

Speeding or driving too fast for the conditions accounts for about 5-10% of accidents depending on that statistic you use.
Haha I've been there too mate. Just have to grin and nod, as 'risk' of them failing you for displaying wrong attitude or being 'cute' with suthorities in those situations isn't worth it.

Tbf wasn't as patronising/'officious' as I thought it would be.

Take your medicine of course, but being done for speeding few mph over limit, not driving like a maniac outside peak hours in middle of nowhere is a slightly tough pill to swallow. But not a surprise. Where's the vakue/benefit in that?

Ex wife was caught doing just over 50mph on way put to Ringwood, just as limit goes from 50 to 70mph, early in morning, hardly aby other cars around. Well done again, another great value add from traffic police.

I'm not anti police, they do a tough job. But tgey don't help themselves sometimes with stuff like that imo. Bit of common sense may help their cause. I'm all for people getting thrown at them if driving like a mania at 50mph in a 20/30 near a school of course

I will say in their defense, that I've had quick flash of blue lights to warn me from that unmarked bmw 3/5 series estate down Dorset way when doing 60 odd abd accelerating, so some do have ability to not be an officious f***ing robot with no soul :D. Maybe he was a fellow high performance bmw lover ;). Heard simikar over tge years where motor cyclists have been let off with a slap wrist after doing insane speeds, as tge traffic police are also into high performance bikes and show some empathy/understanding:D

Going a few mph over the limit, when conditions allow, whilst clearly in control of car isn't an issue. Bad driving is the problem.

I was in block 28 in the Ted Shed as a points holder. Squeezed out of block 27 as I was 30 seconds late buying my ticket probably. 28 was a morgue compared to 27. Only me and one other bloke chanting along with those we could hear from the next block over. I never really realised how tepid our fans are once you get away from the more passionate sections. And that was in a rip roarer of a game. Really poor.
In contrast, and I don't know if it
was improved acoustics as a result of safe standing, I could hear the NS loud and clear throughout. That did sound different from normal and a real improvement.
Could have been the deathly hush of block 28 I suppose.

It's interesting as I actually felt the atmosphere was a bit subdued at times and I am dead centre of the NS, in the standing area... I thought it could be to do with everyone standing around me making it feel less vociferous, however, I've read nothing but positives towards our atmosphere in the second half, so I will just go with it being good :)

I watched some extended highlights as well and one thing that stood out was a very loud, good old 'Come on you reds...' echoing around all the stands... A simple classic, but apparently gets everyone singing it... Not a chant you hear that much, if at all these days...

Can we just clear up. Is it a requirement that everyone who pays to watch football must be beered up and trying to pick a fight with the opposition fans? Some of the posts on social media calling people names or being critical of anyone not joining it. Bournemouth has always been inclusive and accepting of everyone. Can we stop with the hounding out of anyone who does not match up to our amazing Ultras? Thats no matter where they are in the ground.

As for the following tweet from the weekend around the safe standing area and some of the replies..

;