Safe standing

There seems to be a lot of sanctimonious crap aimed at England from German football supporters. Good for them having their traditions etc. but that doesn't automatically make them better than those we have.

And let's have it right... those players don't give a toss what that guy has to say. They are placating him by pretending to listen. If the German league is so brilliant how come one club completely dominates to the extent that they hoover up all of the best players and managers as a matter of course to preserve their dominance. If they don't win the title this year they will buy all of their rivals' best players and win another five in a row.

There seems to be a lot of sanctimonious crap aimed at England from German football supporters. Good for them having their traditions etc. but that doesn't automatically make them better than those we have.

Deep down there's a fair bit of respect from the Germans for our football 'culture' however they've gone off on this weird bouncy ultra type tangent that's all a bit forced and organised. It's a bit like music (and I'm going back a little bit) they know they'll never be the equivalent of the UK in that respect either.

Deep down there's a fair bit of respect from the Germans for our football 'culture' however they've gone off on this weird bouncy ultra type tangent that's all a bit forced and organised. It's a bit like music (and I'm going back a little bit) they know they'll never be the equivalent of the UK in that respect either.

Funnily enough I do get Milli Vanilli vibes whenever I see these German football fans and their orchestrated 'passion'.

And let's have it right... those players don't give a toss what that guy has to say. They are placating him by pretending to listen. If the German league is so brilliant how come one club completely dominates to the extent that they hoover up all of the best players and managers as a matter of course to preserve their dominance. If they don't win the title this year they will buy all of their rivals' best players and win another five in a row.
Completely missing the point. I don't think they were saying that their atmospheres makes their competition any better. Thats a whole different discussion.

And I think the German fans get plenty of sanctimonious crap coming their way from English fans too so thats a bit of a win-win.

Completely missing the point. I don't think they were saying that their atmospheres makes their competition any better. Thats a whole different discussion.

And I think the German fans get plenty of sanctimonious crap coming their way from English fans too so thats a bit of a win-win.

Well I'm making my point, which is that I think German football supporters are full of sanctimonious tripe. Good for them if they like their forced atmospheres - each to their own but I personally don't like that sort of thing.

Also, I think many do say their atmospheres are better but tbf that's the same with football fans all over. Everyone likes to pay themselves on the back.

They probably have a legal duty to prevent overcrowding.
Makes sense, although I'd be interested to know if they do the same level of stairway checks for the away end standers.... I could see that causing agro if they do!

There's a security control room in the Main Stand monitoring CCTV around the stadium. I'd like to think the old fashioned Steward's Mk1 human eye keeping an eye on a block from the bottom, in combination with CCTV scanning the area, could point out and radio in any potential sneak-ins, and then go and request a double check.

I'm sure the current clunky situation will become less clunky over time, here's hoping.

Anyone else received an email letter from the club today via "DocuSign" requiring a signature to agree to the ground rules and not to "persistently stand"?

"We are writing to you as part of our staged approach to educate supporters on the dangers of persistent standing"

The bottom line is that if you do not sign and agree by 9:00am on Saturday your ST will be blocked and you will need to collect a paper one from the ticket office after 12:00pm - presumably with a verbal warning too!

The only surprise is that it has taken them a few weeks to issue these as it was always to be expected for those who regularly stand in Block 15.

So, if you are a ST holder and have been a regular stander outside of the new safe standing areas - I suggest you double check your emails otherwise you could be in for a shock on Saturday.

Tell me you
Anyone else received an email letter from the club today via "DocuSign" requiring a signature to agree to the ground rules and not to "persistently stand"?

"We are writing to you as part of our staged approach to educate supporters on the dangers of persistent standing"

The bottom line is that if you do not sign and agree by 9:00am on Saturday your ST will be blocked and you will need to collect a paper one from the ticket office after 12:00pm - presumably with a verbal warning too!

The only surprise is that it has taken them a few weeks to issue these as it was always to be expected for those who regularly stand in Block 15.

So, if you are a ST holder and have been a regular stander outside of the new safe standing areas - I suggest you double check your emails otherwise you could be in for a shock on Saturday.
re taking the piss?

What danger is there? What terrible things have happened to all those who have been standing, or stand at away games?

If that’s true then the club is seriously off its rockers.

And exactly why do they need to block the stairway at half time ? It serves absolutely no purpose apart from making it awkward for fans wanting to access the concourse. brain dead policy.
Why?

Because they can.

This is five minutes before kick of.

The NS was never more than half full, towards the back was deserted, still checking tickets.

I was on the back row and was among the dozen or so in block 13 standing, the rest sat
0.jpg

Tell me you

re taking the piss?

What danger is there? What terrible things have happened to all those who have been standing, or stand at away games?

Hush Rob, you'll get cancelled once somebody mentions Hillsborough or Ibrox.

It's proven in studies that the percentage of people who stand at football and die is 100%

Tell me you

re taking the piss?

Tbh Rob I have been wondering when this would happen. Thought a clampdown elsewhere would happen as soon as they put the Safe Standing area in.

Tell me you

re taking the piss?

No piss taking, here is the folowing paragraph:

There are a number of safety, crowd management and customer care issues that are presented by spectators who are persistently standing. These include blocking of gangways, spectators’ views, obstruction of emergency services and the increase of the risk of a progressive crowd collapse.

There are a number of safety, crowd management and customer care issues that are presented by STEWARDS who are persistently standing. These include blocking of gangways, spectators’ views, obstruction of emergency services and the increase of the risk of a progressive crowd collapse.
There, corrected that for the club.

Given the preponderance for important mail to hop into junk (and crap to get through), mail clients giving you a ‘focused’ inbox not always helpfully, an unexpected email with a deadline of a few days missing which results in blocking your ticket card, seems risky.

There are a number of safety, crowd management and customer care issues that are presented by spectators who are persistently standing. These include blocking of gangways, spectators’ views, obstruction of emergency services and the increase of the risk of a progressive crowd collapse.

Hopefully the gangway blocking stewards take note as harry says. The fact they’re wearing high viz doesn’t exclude them from the same risks.

Last edited:
This is brilliant news. Cannot wait until the next game. 4 days is easily long enough for those affected to get resolved for the game. There should be no argument about this, they knew it was coming and it will make the north stand better for everyone. Hopefully they will move to another area of the ground if they dont like it*

*yeah, sounds a bit sh*1 when written like that doesnt it? Welcome to the Handful of Days Notice club.

;