Safe standing

V Manchester United. This person stood in the aisle the whole of the second half in the safe standing area, There was no vacant seat and the steward was directly behind him. Steward said nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Now I don’t care if people stand there but it makes a mockery of all the ticket checking and attendant nonsense.

All the nonsense. The searching. Looking under old people’s hats. Frisking. Two or three ticket checks.

Paranoid, unnecessary nonsense. All of it.

Our match day experience (tm) is being hijacked by stupid little compliance monitors.

1713276881125.jpeg

Why didnt someone specifically ask Jim F about this heavy handed stewarding at that fans forum? Jim comes on here so we know he knows it's an issue fans have raised.

It's a simple question.... Why is our stewarding so much more heavy handed than every other club? We know how other fans are treated so why do we get treated differently?

Jim?

Why didnt someone specifically ask Jim F about this heavy handed stewarding at that fans forum? Jim comes on here so we know he knows it's an issue fans have raised.

It's a simple question.... Why is our stewarding so much more heavy handed than every other club? We know how other fans are treated so why do we get treated differently?

Jim?
Because the questions were vetted beforehand?

And I think the security chief should front up and answer any questions.

V Manchester United. This person stood in the aisle the whole of the second half in the safe standing area, There was no vacant seat and the steward was directly behind him. Steward said nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Now I don’t care if people stand there but it makes a mockery of all the ticket checking and attendant nonsense.

All the nonsense. The searching. Looking under old people’s hats. Frisking. Two or three ticket checks.

Paranoid, unnecessary nonsense. All of it.

Our match day experience (tm) is being hijacked by stupid little compliance monitors.

View attachment 13869
Totally agree with this. The club has become insecure.

Jim?

This is about as close as we got:

3. There has been some negative social media PR recently due to banning of flasks, etc from the club. I appreciate this could be done for legitimate reasons. Are there any opportunities for better communications processes possibly by official media accounts on fans social media channels so messages can be accurately communicated and explaining underlining reasons?

JF said he has taken a number of questions on communication recently in fan group meetings, but that the topics raised as having not been communicated were included in various web articles and emails sent by the club. JF said the club doesn’t shy away from fronting up tough questions, and that it is trying to communicate as comprehensively as possible, but the communications are being made in advance.

While comms is an important part it, there is definitely a clear case that we're being treated very harshly compared to fans of other clubs. I wonder if it might be related to a new stadium where they need to demonstrate good crowd control but can't openly say they're only doing it to get a green light for a stadium.

Very interesting, well sad, follow up message from Jim that's clipped above
"We recorded the whole forum via video to air in it’s entirety, but the night before the forum, a member of the SEG was harassed on social media and made fun of by “supporters” for the type of question the member asked at a recent meeting, so we decided not to air the forum recording to protect the supporters in attendance from similar treatment."

I guess that's why we can't have nice things...

Not seen that before but I this up to the security person to front up.

Who is that out of interest?

I notice that the questions on safe standing at the forum were answered by ....

Jim Frevola - President of Business Operations
Chris Gerrish - Operations Director
Nick Zombolas - Chief Ticketing Officer

This is about as close as we got:

3. There has been some negative social media PR recently due to banning of flasks, etc from the club. I appreciate this could be done for legitimate reasons. Are there any opportunities for better communications processes possibly by official media accounts on fans social media channels so messages can be accurately communicated and explaining underlining reasons?

JF said he has taken a number of questions on communication recently in fan group meetings, but that the topics raised as having not been communicated were included in various web articles and emails sent by the club. JF said the club doesn’t shy away from fronting up tough questions, and that it is trying to communicate as comprehensively as possible, but the communications are being made in advance.

While comms is an important part it, there is definitely a clear case that we're being treated very harshly compared to fans of other clubs. I wonder if it might be related to a new stadium where they need to demonstrate good crowd control but can't openly say they're only doing it to get a green light for a stadium.

Very interesting, well sad, follow up message from Jim that's clipped above
"We recorded the whole forum via video to air in it’s entirety, but the night before the forum, a member of the SEG was harassed on social media and made fun of by “supporters” for the type of question the member asked at a recent meeting, so we decided not to air the forum recording to protect the supporters in attendance from similar treatment."

I guess that's why we can't have nice things...

Yeah there is no doubt that some of the reasons why decisions are taken is because there are too many dickheads willing to abuse people. Someone asks a question that is obviously something important to them ... and some bellends who doesn't think it's important abuses them on social media.

I definitely think they are too heavy handed in the way they treat supporters but it's worth remembering that things like flasks being banned is as a direct result of supporters misbehaving.

Yeah there is no doubt that some of the reasons why decisions are taken is because there are too many dickheads willing to abuse people. Someone asks a question that is obviously something important to them ... and some bellends who doesn't think it's important abuses them on social media.

I definitely think they are too heavy handed in the way they treat supporters but it's worth remembering that things like flasks being banned is as a direct result of supporters misbehaving.
Don’t ever remember flasks being thrown on the pitch ;-)

I understood that the brolly and flask ban was related to people sneaking pyrotechnics into the ground.

I've never heard that before. So the clubs answer to one or two dickheads is to ban flasks and brollies for all 11,000 people, which is a pathetic response.

Jim reads and contributes to the forum, he's well aware of the issues as many people have directly alerted him through posts (I've done this) but nothing has changed, it's actually getting worse. So it's either not his remit, he's powerless to act or he thinks its normal behaviour from the security / stewarding team.

Get sniffer dogs in ;

Can we not just go along the technology route and have full-on airport security-style X-ray machines? You know, for our safety.

And to stop stewards making primary school age children uncomfortable by no longer having to ask them their age etc.

I've never heard that before. So the clubs answer to one or two dickheads is to ban flasks and brollies for all 11,000 people, which is a pathetic response.

Jim reads and contributes to the forum, he's well aware of the issues as many people have directly alerted him through posts (I've done this) but nothing has changed, it's actually getting worse. So it's either not his remit, he's powerless to act or he thinks its normal behaviour from the security / stewarding team.
This is a perfect example of them either not understanding or deliberately ignoring the process of risk assessments.

;