Sam Surridge

The problem is how do we change the formation to include him because if we go 3 at the back people will moan.

Nice problem to have for a change.
Do we have to go three at the back to include him? Can’t we just play 4-4-2? We seem to be playing more direct under Tindal at times anyway, it might even suit us.

I think Sams progression has been handled well by the club. Put out to gain experience and to prove he has the ability and now in the Championship is given his opportunity to be a big part of the squad..

I saw the potential in Surridge 4 or 5 years back when I saw him in some minor games in Devon...while he was at Yeovil
I think he would have slotted in well even back then.....we've missed a trick imo....piss assing about with Defoe, Mousset and stuff.

Last edited:
comes on against Preston, our best player and a goal. Barnsley our best player and a goal. Comes on against Huddersfield goal. Comes on against Wycombe, tips the balance of the game in our favour and our most dangerous attacker....
yesterday was crying out for a threat in behind the Luton defence to stretch the game, everything was played in front of them and this allowed them to press high and completely negate our threat. Against a similar type of opposition in Barnsley we countered the press by hitting the channels to great effect, so why not yesterday? Imo JT has got a lot right since becoming boss but yesterday he made a very big mistake by not starting Sam.

If we are not careful...this brilliant player will get his head turned by Newcastle in January to replace the misfiring strikers they have up there.
They'll pay about £5 million....and we will miss out on promotion

The game had become a complete scrap at that point and the whole side had to adjust to a formation change mid game. My point is that surely he deserved to start?

I think he's unlucky not to start but then Dom has been on fire so you can understand it. That said he did nothing on Saturday to justify a start did he.

I thought Surridge was very unlucky to be dropped from the starting XI for the Swansea game as he'd done well in the matches prior to that.

I also thought it was a real surprise that we stuck with exactly the same starting XI yesterday considering the fatigue issue.

However, given he has started Surridge and not that long ago, I'd assume it was a tactical decision based on something they thought they could exploit rather than some kind of personal dislike of the player.

As it was, how the match played out indicates to me JT got it wrong. However, you can't make the right call all the time. On balance, for a rookie manager at this level, he's done pretty well so far.

I thought Surridge was very unlucky to be dropped from the starting XI for the Swansea game as he'd done well in the matches prior to that.

I also thought it was a real surprise that we stuck with exactly the same starting XI yesterday considering the fatigue issue.

However, given he has started Surridge and not that long ago, I'd assume it was a tactical decision based on something they thought they could exploit rather than some kind of personal dislike of the player.

As it was, how the match played out indicates to me JT got it wrong. However, you can't make the right call all the time. On balance, for a rookie manager at this level, he's done pretty well so far.
I agree, he has done pretty well so far. Just wanted to know others opinions about SS as I rate him very highly

His time will come.
He hasn’t been a preferred starter for any club he’s been with thus far and to be fair he makes a decent impact pretty often off the bench.

Sometimes you just have to be patient and wait for players to develop into making an impact from the start. Ryan Fraser was a good example of this.

It's a good comparison.

I'm happy we have him in the squad as he feels like a real game changer as an option. That doesn't mean he'll change every game but you definitely feel like something may happen when he comes on. He also has a little bit of fire and fight about him, and I don't mean only in reference to the Junior incident.

I think Sam's problem is that he is the least adaptable of our forwards......JT really has to go with a formation to suit Sam if he wants to start him.....given JT seems to ruled out 442 that formation has to be the 352 we've used this season sometimes that can work out as it did against Barnsley or it looks horrendous as it was in the QPR game.... so it's not so much a question of him deserving a start but can he fit into the system we want to play.

As for yesterday i don't think you can blame JT too much .....i just think it was a flat performance on a tiring pitch ....i don't think a different formation changes that tbh....in fact i think we looked worse after the change yesterday.....as mentioned above Sam did have a good 35 minutes to affect the game in some way.....i honestly can't remember him making any contribution whatsoever which is disappointing when he's the one player who shouldn't be feeling any sort of fatigue.

comes on against Preston, our best player and a goal. Barnsley our best player and a goal. Comes on against Huddersfield goal. Comes on against Wycombe, tips the balance of the game in our favour and our most dangerous attacker....
yesterday was crying out for a threat in behind the Luton defence to stretch the game, everything was played in front of them and this allowed them to press high and completely negate our threat. Against a similar type of opposition in Barnsley we countered the press by hitting the channels to great effect, so why not yesterday? Imo JT has got a lot right since becoming boss but yesterday he made a very big mistake by not starting Sam.
I agree I’d like him to start.

I think its simple. JT sees Dom as his #1 striker. He’s done nothing wrong, his hold up play has been fantastic, he has a good number of assists and is scoring goals that are winning points.

I’m trying to remember who Sam has scored against and what impact it had on the game? Genuine question.

Looking at the stats I’ve just googled, Sam has played about a third of the minutes Dom has. Dom 8 goals, 4 assists (thought it was higher), Sam 3 Goals, 0 assists. Dom 26 shots on target, Sam 6, Dom 9 offsides, Sam 5 offsides, Dom 74% pass completion ratio, Sam 69%

Now, without relying on stats alone, this doesn’t shout out we need a change. As Another poster said, at the moment, if you are playing with a three, which includes. Stan & Brooks, where do you fit in Sam? Certainly not at the expense of your top scorer.

I suspect that Dom is one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment, his performances this year warrant that.

;