Scott Parker

I think I’ve narrowed it down in my head to Hughton, Parker and Robinson of the names I’ve heard.

Robinson seems a similar character to EH and seems to play the AFCB way. Limited experience top level experience though, no wins in 11 for Motherwell. Underwhelming at Oldham. Also, hardly going in a new direction is it? More like Eddie-lite.

Hughton would be the most practical appointment. Could definitely get us promoted first time of asking I reckon. But doubts over the quality of football, and we’ve already seen that he can’t really “do it” in the top flight. Not a good long term pick? Don’t want to become a sacking club.

Parker is the one I’m leaning towards most atm. Not a lot of experience either, but young and plays a good style of football from what I’ve seen. Is not affiliated with the club so would hopefully be going in that much touted “new direction”. Personally I think he’s done well at Fulham, the teams above them are all better squads imo, and he nearly got automatics. Think he’s done an admirable job. He also seems generally intelligent and a “decent person” from what I’ve heard. Et tu, Terry?

The ideal candidate for me would:
- Favour a style of play that is attacking and on the front foot.
- Have some Championship or even top flight experience.
- (Subjective) Be younger and have the potential to develop alongside the squad; be a long term successor rather than a stop-gap solution.
- Be a generally “good person” that will buy into the community and the family ideals of the club.

I think this is a sensible criteria to use; for me Parker is the one that ticks the most boxes. But then again there might be some bigger, better names out there that we haven’t heard from yet.

However, I think Demin wants to sell the club, and to do that he needs to get the club promoted as quickly as possible. His criteria might be as simple as “who’s going to get us up?” He seems willing to spend to do this, and of the list, Hughton might be the best pick for this. We just don’t know.

Don't understand why Parker would leave Fulham to come to us? Even if they fail to get promoted this evening, he's had a decent season there, and they will start amongst the favourites next season.

With basic thinking I agree... However, there could be a number of reasons why... No one knows what sort of working relationship he has with the owners of Fulham, and what sort of constraints he is working with... For all we know he might not have a job if Fulham fail to get promoted...??? Who knows..

I can’t believe Parker is a genuine contender. If he is then Thomas Frank has to be one too. Really don’t see either as being interested.

When we talk about a ‘New Direction’ what actually do we mean? Do we mean in terms of philosophy - recruiting foreign players, maybe more experienced players who know the league or going for the ‘moneyball’ approach that Liverpool and Brentford have used so successfully.

If it’s a change in tactical approach what do we aspire to be? More route one? More defensive? No one is going to turn up to an interview proudly boasting their football dinosaur credentials!

Hughton would be a pragmatic appointment (I accept he’s not a dinosaur) but you also have to take into account the squad he has to work with. If they aren’t capable of pragmatic football, a pragmatic coach is no use unless it’s a long term appointment with funds available. I doubt even those talking up Hughton want him for a long term project.

I see someone like Robinson as similar to Eddie agreed, but there are tactical differences in terms of formations. He also comes across as a more feisty character which may or may not be a good thing. You could probably say the same thing about Lee Johnson who has the added advantage of Championship experience.

For me finding someone to fit our philosophy (whatever that is) is the most important thing. I’d like to think our board is better than the “X is better than Y because X has 42% win rate but only 39% for Y” debate.

John Terry moving up ahead of Hughton in the odds now... which worries me... Expecting Parker to move up if Fulham lose tonight... Seems to have been the only name that has been made somewhat public as a target... Hughton and Johnson were alleged to be interested in us... not us in them...

Jason Tindall - 1/2
John Terry - 5/1
Garry Monk - 6/1
Chris Hughton - 8/1
Scott Parker - 10/1
Stephen Robinson - 12/1

Some interesting comments by Parker last night about the mental shape of his players after their relegation from the PL... Massive losing streak and seriously deflated squad... Sound familiar?

Whoever comes in to take us over is going to have a huge job in picking the players' heads up to start with and then get them realising that they can perform well as a unit and win games, and lots of them... I don't think we should underestimate how much both recent form and relegation will have effected the team... and then losing Eddie as well (although who knows, some might not see that as a bad thing...)

I also don't see us starting off too well, taking into account the managerial position, the short break, the transfer window staying open etc. etc. Patience will be needed... I see us being around mid table for large parts of the season and slowly (hopefully) gaining momentum after Xmas to mount a push for promotion...

He quotes Scott Parker a few tweets earlier or later, so it's not that cryptic

edit: no he doesn't my mistake, just seemed that obvious to me I thought I saw it, oops

He quotes Scott Parker a few tweets earlier or later, so it's not that cryptic

edit: no he doesn't my mistake, just seemed that obvious to me I thought I saw it, oops

Your workings in the margin might be wrong but it looks like you did come up with the correct answer.

Parker himself is set to extend his deal with the club having secured promotion, with talks to begin when they return from short breaks. The 39-year-old and his coaching staff were handed two-year deals in May 2019.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...y-arter-harrison-reed-transfers-a4517936.html

Unless of course John Terry is also about to sign a new contract with Aston Villa...

I don’t think Scott Parker was a realistic candidate but when mentioned I did question whether not being promoted automatically had meant he under achieved. Having read more about Fulham’s season the problems he has overcome and the fact they ended up getting promoted can only mean he has been successful.
Anyway, the real reason for holding my hands up to that is so that I can share this!

Villa have just appointed Craig Shakespeare as new assistant head coach. Could be completely unrelated, but wasn’t that Terrys job....?

Friend of a friend is a football journalist, told me earlier this week that #1 choice was Parker and failing that Terry would be near the top of the list. I dismissed it at the time, but this does make me wonder if there’s more to it than I initially thought....

Interestingly, Alex Crook has just mentioned on Talk (TopSix) Sport! That we approached Fulham to speak with him for his services as manager, but were declined. We may go back in the summer if they are relegated. What an utter shambles, board lack ambition and as others have said, I feel max will cash in soon.

Interestingly, Alex Crook has just mentioned on Talk (TopSix) Sport! That we approached Fulham to speak with him for his services as manager, but were declined. We may go back in the summer if they are relegated. What an utter shambles, board lack ambition and as others have said, I feel max will cash in soon.

are we totally deluded?!
why would he want to come here for a couple of months whilst fulham still have a chance of staying up?

I can imagine it would be a close run decision for Parker though. Young Premier league team fighting for their lives, fantastic new stadium plans in place and living in London..... well OK sandbanks is nice for 3 months of the year.

How is Max going to cash in?
The club is not worth a lot at the moment and I don't see a queue of would be buyers. If he wants his money back we can only do that by being in the PL

;