Simon Francis

Lies, damned lies and statistics but he's whoscored.com highest rated Bournemouth player. Not sure if agree with that but his influence is often understated.

Ironically all our defence get high scores despite them getting slagged off on here on a weekly basis.

Lies, damned lies and statistics but he's whoscored.com highest rated Bournemouth player. Not sure if agree with that but his influence is often understated.

Ironically all our defence get high scores despite them getting slagged off on here on a weekly basis.

I’ve said this before but WhoScored puts a lot of emphasis on winning duels and making clearances. Franno being our tallest player obviously wins a lot of headers.

While you obviously must take the stats with a pinch of salt, they probably are an indication that our defenders contest a lot of duels and make lots of clearances due to a lack of midfield protection. All our midfielders seem to have low scores in comparison...

Well...as we all know he can't play for a lot longer at this level but certain people could at least use respectful dialogue when putting him down!
This guy is in the Elite group of Cherry Legends, up there with Ronnie Eyre, Ollie Norris, Billy Coxon, Bryn Jones, Dickle Dowsett, Ronnie Bolton, Ted Mac, Phil Boyer, Fletch ...and a higher Acheiver than all of those for Boscombe , yes even Ted!

Last edited:
It’s not what we think of him that counts, though I have always said he has been one of our best signings.

When you heard what Nathan Ake said about him at the awards ceremony, that’s what counts.

Been a reliable player at our club and in that time not missed that many games.

I wonder what the Charlton fans thought when we went up from one division to the next until we reached the PL with Simon have outstanding performances on that ride?

Sometimes our fans have short memories.

I accept that but we've seen how much is spent on wages and I'd guess he's up their with the rest of them. How can an extension beyond 2019 be justified or is Eddie doing sentiment with Max's money.

Such utter gubbins in this thread. Is he the player he was a few years back, No. But he's playing out of position, the best crosser at the club, has changed positions and done better than many players asked to do the same. When we signed him I worked with a Charlton fan and I came straight on here and twitter whinging about a waste of money. I was proven wrong immediately, and continued to be proven wrong. How many player of the season awards did he get, also made PFA team of the year in LgOne and Championship

If anyone thinks this is due to sentiment then they are sorely mistaken, "Sorry Fletch, can't see you in the Championship, time to retire", "No Bert, I can't guarantee you game time, and won't offer an extension, if you fancy the three year deal on the table from Mick I'll let you go for free", Franno still has something to offer, we do well with him in the team. It's just like Surman, watch the ball and you don't notice what they bring

If anyone thinks this is due to sentiment then they are sorely mistaken, "Sorry Fletch, can't see you in the Championship, time to retire", "No Bert, I can't guarantee you game time, and won't offer an extension, if you fancy the three year deal on the table from Mick I'll let you go for free", Franno still has something to offer, we do well with him in the team. It's just like Surman, watch the ball and you don't notice what they bring

No issue with next season at the most but please explain why you think he should be contracted for the following season (without the sentimental bollox)

No issue with next season at the most but please explain why you think he should be contracted for the following season (without the sentimental bollox)

Because at that age players seek security for their family. If offered a three year deal by say Forest, his home town club, that might seem better than one year left with us. Particularly if he got a bad injury. All players seek a last deal that suits them. Eddie might have needed to do this to ensure he is here next season.

Because we win more with him than without him, and if he's out of contract next summer then a recently promoted side might come in as a free transfer. A single year extension just keeps the club in control. If it's a bad season, if he is in severe decline and it happens at least we can tout him to Championship clubs and recoup something. Could possibly have done similar with Cargill, but why would he accept a one year contract at his age, better to let him go and build a career now that he's had a decent loan and will likely get offers

edit: Dawson beat me there, though I recall him saying a few years back that he wants to open a cafe here when he retires, but that was before Prem exposure and money, so maybe going back to the East Mids might appeal to him, after all, there was a cheeky bid from Derby a few years back, likely just a banter response to us sniffing round Johnny Russell, but maybe going home is still a possibility for him

Why do so many people here seem to put so much stock in a captain? If you're a leader, you will lead whether you have the armband or not. I think some are more precious about it than the players!

So on reputation alone he deserves this?...not sure that his form and ability warrant another year in The PL, but Eddie is the bossman!

A 1 year deal is best for both parties... Franno's ability has been on the decline for about 18 months, however, he still s capable of putting in great performances form time to time... I would expect to see him used from the bench more next season, during the defence up...

I'd expect at least 1, poss two new faces in our back 4 come August.

For me, the armband goes to Ake or L.Cook...

Despite my own preference, I expect, (assuming he's not injured), that Francis will start the first game next season.

Some players are influential both on and off the pitch and he's likely one of those. I expect he's trusted, reliable and part of a core which helps steer the ship.

The players spend far more time training than playing matches and Franno is probably one of those who keeps others focused, armband or not.

It will always break my heart that we didn't get to see Lionel Pitman in the Prem :shake:

We have seen the importance of having a big squad if we want to do well in prem plus if we want to give the cups a right go. Keeping franno on will give us cover in league, be a steady influence off the pitch and he will help youngsters come through in cup games. Few players happy to do that without throwing the toys out the pram. Thus really good move and a one year deal extension (rather than 2) keeps him on his toes. Makes sense to me.

We can't hide from the fact that Burnley is the only PL game we have won which Francis hasn't played in. You'd like to think over time we will learn to win more frequently without him, but some people even had Francis on their "get rid" list for this summer which is obviously absolute nonsense.

;