Southampton v AFC Bournemouth

kirsikka

UTC Legend
Not to steal btk's thunder but I thought this was an interesting snippet from Hughes which should affect their set-up in our match:

'Southampton have to "take more risks" and "just go for it" says manager Mark Hughes, after the Saints were held to a goalless draw against Leicester at the King Power. '

If they're quite open it could play into our hands more. Whilst it might seem quite obvious they'd be more attacking, you would have thought that about last night as well.

I think they had more to lose last night. Had they lost it would have seemed to be all over bar the shouting. I know it is only one point but psychologically important.

They win their game in hand and beat us ....would then be 3 points behind us.......a little sobering when it is not beyond us to lose our last 3 games......I know they haven't won since November, but stranger things have happened........lots of twists and turns could happen. Just to add I am a confessed bed wetter

It’s obvious how they will try to play against us. Just like it was obvious how Huddersfield would play against us.

Just hope we prepare properly for this game. No early gifts and as the game goes on and they get more desperate, we need to use this to our advantage

Don't like telling you off Ted - but you must behave and take something for that bedwetting!
My son and daughter are Swansea fans and are confident that they will beat Saints but think they will lose to us!

...Just hope that we don't get Dean,Moss,Friend,East or Scott as a referee for this match....hopefully we will get Madley,Atkinson or Oliver?

Southampton will fly at us from the start I would expect, we will need to take control of Midfield...so I would put Fraser (on the left side),Cook,Arter & Gosling in there, drop King and Surman from our last match, play Defoe and Mousset (on the right side) from the off

Quite simply this is the biggest league game the scummers have ever played.......................against little old tinpot AFCB in a non derby.

Quite amusing how they find their fate in our hands, between our game up there, and our subsequent game against Swansea. If they do stay up, it'll be because we've helped them to do so!

Reactions: DJ
But we we just haven't got that 'je ne sais quoi' of Pompey!

But no worries shipmates;
Our PL crack outfit can just stroll onto the St Mary's turf, stroke the ball around at leisure while Boscombe fans sing and dance to multiple scripts of new ditties and turf shanties.... Play up Boscombe...Boscombe Play up.... or Accie Stanley you've nuffing to fear, nuffing to fear.....next year!
The glorious 28th of April- the real start of Summer!

Where do you go to my Sainties, when your alone with your Sparky,
What are the thoughts that surround you,
When you've run out of ideas.....oh yes you have, your going down, your going down, oh yes you are, yes you are.....De de de de de de dah.

Last edited:
Don't forget stoke. They are still in this. They could go above soton anyway and still send them down even if they beat us.

I don't think West Brom are going to finish bottom. I actually think they have a slim chance of pulling off a great escape. If they can build on that win against United... why not?

But we we just haven't got that 'je ne sais quoi' of Pompey!

But no worries shipmates;
Our PL crack outfit can just stroll onto the St Mary's turf, stroke the ball around at leisure while Boscombe fans sing and dance to multiple scripts of new ditties and turf shanties.... Play up Boscombe...Boscombe Play up.... or Accie Stanley you've nuffing to fear, nuffing to fear.....next year!
The glorious 28th of April- the real start of Summer!

Where do you go to my Sainties, when your alone with your Sparky,
What are the thoughts that surround you,
When you've run out of ideas.....oh yes you have, your going down, your going down, oh yes you are, yes you are.....De de de de de de dah.

Mind the gap.

Listened to Dorset Solent sports news this morning and they were discussing our game against them this Saturday.

They mentioned a couple of AFCB players (no names mentioned) that they spoke to who didn’t want Saints to go down as they enjoy playing against them.

Let’s hope those two don’t feel sorry for them for the 90 minutes or so on Saturday.

We seriously need to up our game to get anything up the road... Lets not forget we've never even scored as goal at St Marys.

Saints might be poor this year, but we've hardly set the World alight. As has been said, they'll come out the blocks at 100mph, something we haven't done in a very long time...

I agree with Garbo in that I'd be tempted to plug the centre of the park .. Who that is with and who gets the nod up top I Donny know... Slim pickings really... Accoring to this we'd be best with King and Defoe, but that airing just doesn't seem right to me..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/afc-bournemouth/top-scorers

A tense affair awaits: don't we just know the result will hinge on a couple of controversial incidents. The crowd will be tuned in to reports from Huddersfield and Brighton, so it could be a strange atmosphere among their support! The Swans game kicks off later which I think will suit the the Welshmen.
Our first ever league win over Saints could be a never forgotten icon!

Listened to Dorset Solent sports news this morning and they were discussing our game against them this Saturday.

They mentioned a couple of AFCB players (no names mentioned) that they spoke to who didn’t want Saints to go down as they enjoy playing against them.

Let’s hope those two don’t feel sorry for them for the 90 minutes or so on Saturday.

Andrew Surman and Artur Boruc?

Mark Hughes in the Southampton Echo.

Maybe Eddie should put this up in the dressing room, especially the Third Para.

“We have disappointment because we haven’t progressed in the competition but we have to put it behind us very quickly because we have a huge game next weekend against Bournemouth at home where we need to win.

“It’s quite clear from our point of view, there are no grey areas, it’s black and white we need to win.”

Hughes thinks that Saints may well be playing a lesser side than they have recently, and that could help their cause.

“We have had fixtures against really good quality teams of late,” he admitted.

“We have played Chelsea twice, we have played Leicester away, we played Arsenal. They’ve been really big games that will always test us.

“It’s not disrespectful to the teams we will face in the next three or four games but maybe the quality will not be as high.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/16176436.Hughes_demands_Cherries_focus/

;