Steve Cook

No wonder I misunderstood CB. I thought you were trying to describe the number of goals that Steve Cook had prevented from happening!!

Maybe my memory has dulled but not sure I remember this amazing Stanislas of which people speak. What I remember are some flashes of absolute brilliance, the odd great game, a lot of averageness and some non existent games.

One of those players like Gosling, Surman and Ibe I think we need to move on from if we are to keep improving
:agree:

Maybe my memory has dulled but not sure I remember this amazing Stanislas of which people speak. What I remember are some flashes of absolute brilliance, the odd great game, a lot of averageness and some non existent games.

One of those players like Gosling, Surman and Ibe I think we need to move on from if we are to keep improving

Stanislas produced more goals and assists than anyone else in those first two seasons (going by memory, haven't checked any stats). He was our most effective attacking option who, whilst he had his quiet moments was consistently the player who would create chances when we often looked toothless. It's no exaggeration to say he was our most important player in those seasons.

I don’t think anyone has used the phrase ‘amazing’ at all on this thread.

The phrase I used was effective. I think that’s fair. If you look at his goals and assists record per minutes played he’s right up there in our squad. There are players in the squad who might play better during matches, but if you are talking about those who make a difference then Stan is the Man

So we should ignore Stanislas being our 3rd highest goalscorer and generally one of our more impressive performers over the course of Premier League tenure, and move him on.

But we should also not only keep Arter, but put him higher in the pecking order than Gosling and Surman, because Arter has (very rarely I might add) "bossed world class midfielders" over three years ago?

Come on Neil, be a bit consistent with your rationale! ;)

Southgate was at the game last night. What would he think? Great interceptions and clearance from Cook, then concedes a penalty. Mixed bag ... but streets ahead of Keane, who had a shocker at DC last Sunday. Key issue - is there a better CB available for England? Answer: NO.

We all know Cookie has his faults and I do think its his sometimes sloppy passing out from the back that keeps him out of the England squad. Probably too 'old' for Gareth now too.

I can't honestly say he's the best England have got but....when you compare to the likes of Keane....Dunk....Tarkowski...who have all been given a go....he's at least on a par, if not higher. If England needed a defender who properly defends....there are not many better.

Will he make an England squad soon? Awesome tonight. Makes Keane look average in my view.

Keane is average.

I love Cook and he was great last night and last week too. Always really good positioning in the box, but he does have his limitations, particularly against really quick players. Like others, I think he's probably too old for England.

Frustrating for Steve Cook ... surely so close to an England call but maybe two years too late in his career?

For several seasons Cook has been an effective CB but not necessarily a leader. He's growing into that now, organising the defence and being far more vocal. Could be a key development for the squad.

;