Steve Cook

Its NOT part of the job......his job is on a football pitch...we didn't get all that crap in 65...75....85....95....when football was football...why now ?

Its NOT part of the job......his job is on a football pitch...we didn't get all that crap in 65...75....85....95....when football was football...why now ?

oooooooohhhhhh, the good old days... booo hoooooooo :cry:

come on brian, embrace the modern world and all its shiteness! where would u be without this forum.u love it really

To bring in the millions that TV dole out ,players and managers are obliged to toe the line.

I dunno, the captain has always had his thoughts published in the program for as long as I remember, this is the visual/audio version of that I would have thought?

couldn't give a toss about the meaningless media bullshite
as captain he needs to start bollocking people on the pitch, rockets up backsides etc

And yet the last time a senior player attempted that, after being instructed by the manager, he got lambasted by many for doing so.

Now it’s the apparent reason for a fractured squad...as opposed to half a dozen or so half arsed mentally fragile players content with their big boy wages.

And yet the last time a senior player attempted that, after being instructed by the manager, he got lambasted by many for doing so.

Now it’s the apparent reason for a fractured squad...as opposed to half a dozen or so half arsed mentally fragile players content with their big boy wages.

stan vs surridge?
that was a petulant spat, nowt to do with leadership

It was a veteran player, not a natural leader trying to be more vocal after being told to do so and not going about things the best way.

The youngster then responded in a petulant way.

no it wasn't, it was an experienced player throwing a massive wobbly and squaring up to a nipper when said nipper didn't pass to him....

my initial comment was specifically regarding the captain not showing much if any on-field leadership but giving mealy-mouthed comments to the media

my initial comment was specifically regarding the captain not showing much if any on-field leadership

Personally I think he does, he just hasn’t done it in a Roy Keane or even Stanislas way.. But I also think that many of these younger players don’t respond well to receiving a “rocket up them”.

Surridge didn’t and failed to apologise for his part afterwards, whilst Stanislas took full responsibility.

We’ve now got Jordon in the coaching staff who isn’t going to be giving them the arm around the shoulder treatment and Woodgate branding things as “stupid”.

The language and environment around the squad is going to change quite dramatically and these youngsters are going to have to learn to take some criticism.

no it wasn't, it was an experienced player throwing a massive wobbly and squaring up to a nipper when said nipper didn't pass to him....

my initial comment was specifically regarding the captain not showing much if any on-field leadership but giving mealy-mouthed comments to the media

Lol. Massively contradicting yourself here.

Personally I think he does, he just hasn’t done it in a Roy Keane or even Stanislas way.. But I also think that many of these younger players don’t respond well to receiving a “rocket up them”.

Surridge didn’t and failed to apologise for his part afterwards, whilst Stanislas took full responsibility.

We’ve now got Jordon in the coaching staff who isn’t going to be giving them the arm around the shoulder treatment and Woodgate branding things as “stupid”.

The language and environment around the squad is going to change quite dramatically and these youngsters are going to have to learn to take some criticism.

In the end the Eddie approach didn’t work, the JT approach didn’t work and now the J W approach from how well he spoke (before the job) and results ok, including cup game and league W 2, D 1, L 1. Gets job, first game L and then what has been said above.

So maybe the softly hand around the shoulder worked for a while with some, but maybe a J J older head approach may just work.

The end of the season will give us the answer if not before.

Then Max and the board can assess the situation and if necessary bring in someone new, as there could be better candidates to choose from.

This board could be so different tomorrow if we beat Watford.

https://pompeychimes.webs.com/joejordan.htm

In the end the Eddie approach didn’t work, the JT approach didn’t work and now the J W approach from how well he spoke (before the job) and results ok, including cup game and league W 2, D 1, L 1. Gets job, first game L and then what has been said above.

So maybe the softly hand around the shoulder worked for a while with some, but maybe a J J older head approach may just work.

The end of the season will give us the answer if not before.

Then Max and the board can assess the situation and if necessary bring in someone new, as there could be better candidates to choose from.

This board could be so different tomorrow if we beat Watford.

An older head approach might get short term results. But it doesn’t last either and most definitely not as long as Howe.
That’s why you don’t see McCarthy et al having prolonged success beyond a couple of seasons.

You don’t develop players, coaching them from lower league journeymen to Premier League stalwarts by just shouting at them.

An older head approach might get short term results. But it doesn’t last either and most definitely not as long as Howe.
That’s why you don’t see McCarthy et al having prolonged success beyond a couple of seasons.

You don’t develop players, coaching them from lower league journeymen to Premier League stalwarts by just shouting at them.

I agree, but Eddie did well and players came to our club because of him and spoke well of him and played for him and got results.

Then there was a change, or it seemed something wasn’t hunky dory in the dressing room and finally we were relegated and Eddie was gone.

;