Steve Cook

There is obviously a problem with the defence which even the presence of Ake and the acquisition of Lerma couldn't solve, but surely it's more likely to be the fact that AFCB like to attack more than defend rather than any failings of Steve Cook's?

One thing I would say though, the whole team really, really, really needs heading practice because none of them seem capable of directing the ball to a team mate.

There is obviously a problem with the defence which even the presence of Ake and the acquisition of Lerma couldn't solve, but surely it's more likely to be the fact that AFCB like to attack more than defend rather than any failings of Steve Cook's?

One thing I would say though, the whole team really, really, really needs heading practice because none of them seem capable of directing the ball to a team mate.
I know, it's like they've been coached to "just make sure you get something on it", never mind if it then goes straight to the opposition in a dangerous area. Definitely something they need to work on in training, I agree.

...trouble is that being a decent CB depends on ball playing abilities and Steve doesn't really have that technique in his locker..it is frustrating that his headed clearances often fall to the opposition and so do some of his passes. These might seem like minute details but I think they are the skills that have probably prevented Steve from getting an England call up becsue his tackling and actual defending is both brave and effective. One of the things he will also be remebered for is his goalscoring which has been exceptional when you consider the over head kicking and rocket shooting, along with important headed goals from set pieces!

And the one at Fulham

Cook was the only player show leadership at Derby - good on him. Problem: it's difficult to defend and compensate for the deficiencies of those in front of you ... and the others didn't appear to respond. What's really needed is a midfielder who leads by example. Can Wilshere do it? Let's hope so. More of that garbage from Tuesday will suggest systemic crisis in the squad.

how much do you care about the team cookie?

this much

Steve-Cook-given-straight-red-for-a-ludicrous-handball-during-Norwich-vs-Bournemouth.png

Even if we'd been 5 down, the driving forward trying to get us going on Tuesday would have had every away fan on their feet - if we'd been allowed to go, obviously.

Can we sort out his contract soon please?
Absolutely. Because Cookie will be needed whichever league we end up in next season. I think he'd be happy to stay too, whatever happens. Offer him a new deal on good wages with a nice bonus if we get promoted. Unlike some others he will always give 100% for every pound we pay him weekly. Sign him up, it's the no-brainerist of all no-brainers Max !

;