Stoke City v AFC Bournemouth

Pearson was reported to have had one after the whistle against Peterborough which wasn’t reported on much, so I assume the standard 5 booking 1 game suspension was given.

Okay. That makes more sense then.

My thoughts
-On the ball we were not quite on it today, tempo of passing not quite there and too many misplaced passes. The thing that pleases me most is that we are always going to give ourselves a chance even when we are not on it purely due to how bloody hard we work off of the ball. The energy and pressing off of the ball is next level compared to what we have seen before, our opponents simply can’t cope with it at times. It’s very pleasing to see that even when things aren’t quite going our way in possession, our lads never stop fighting for every ball as if their life depended on it. This work rate and determination to leave everything out there is the Bournemouth identity and it was sorely lacking last season.
-in terms of individual players. Shout out to Stacy. His engine is phenomenal and he gives us such an added threat down that side. Smith has done well so far but for me Stacy has to be first choice, he’s not quite prime Franno but he isn’t too far off.
Christie is class but is slightly wasted out wide, need to get him on the ball as often as possible in central positions.
Anthony’s work rate is exceptional and he has moments where he really does look very classy, huge potential there. One minor gripe, would like to see him drive at his full back more.
Billing is an enigma. I understand his persona is very laid back but at times he frustrates the hell out of me with how relaxed he is in certain situations. Not meant to be a major criticism, just imagine how good he could be if he showed really drive in certain situations.
On Stoke. They set up to frustrate us, negating their own threat in the process. Not sure why because we’re hardly Man City. Won’t complain though, if teams want to carry on giving us this much respect then we will grind out quite a few points I imagine.
I like Surridge as a player. Not a goal scorer by any stretch but puts himself about and always looks to get involved. Understand why but a shame to see him in another teams colours. Having said that you can’t turn down bug money for a striker who will struggle to get ten goals this season.

My thoughts
-On the ball we were not quite on it today, tempo of passing not quite there and too many misplaced passes. The thing that pleases me most is that we are always going to give ourselves a chance even when we are not on it purely due to how bloody hard we work off of the ball. The energy and pressing off of the ball is next level compared to what we have seen before, our opponents simply can’t cope with it at times. It’s very pleasing to see that even when things aren’t quite going our way in possession, our lads never stop fighting for every ball as if their life depended on it. This work rate and determination to leave everything out there is the Bournemouth identity and it was sorely lacking last season.
-in terms of individual players. Shout out to Stacy. His engine is phenomenal and he gives us such an added threat down that side. Smith has done well so far but for me Stacy has to be first choice, he’s not quite prime Franno but he isn’t too far off.
Christie is class but is slightly wasted out wide, need to get him on the ball as often as possible in central positions.
Anthony’s work rate is exceptional and he has moments where he really does look very classy, huge potential there. One minor gripe, would like to see him drive at his full back more.
Billing is an enigma. I understand his persona is very laid back but at times he frustrates the hell out of me with how relaxed he is in certain situations. Not meant to be a major criticism, just imagine how good he could be if he showed really drive in certain situations.
On Stoke. They set up to frustrate us, negating their own threat in the process. Not sure why because we’re hardly Man City. Won’t complain though, if teams want to carry on giving us this much respect then we will grind out quite a few points I imagine.
I like Surridge as a player. Not a goal scorer by any stretch but puts himself about and always looks to get involved. Understand why but a shame to see him in another teams colours. Having said that you can’t turn down bug money for a striker who will struggle to get ten goals this season.

I honestly fail to see your obsession with getting Christie in centrally. He’s providing creativity and assist after assist from out wide. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

“On Stoke. They set up to frustrate us, negating their own threat in the process. Not sure why because we’re hardly Man City. Won’t complain though, if teams want to carry on giving us this much respect then we will grind out quite a few points I imagine.”

I think that’s right. In the last four games only Sheffield United have played anything like their natural game. Peterborough set up for a scoreless result and were very good at it. It was a frustrating watch, but credit to them. Bristol City tried the same and it was an unmitigated disaster for them. Stoke were overly passive and ultimately paid the price, doing a lot to dishearten Tyreese Campbell in the process. Hopefully Huddersfield and Reading will overly plan their games against us and melt their players’ heads in the process.

18,487 fans there tonight, surprised how quiet the stadium was at times tonight watching on Sky.

Second half we capitalised on the goalkeeper’s fumble and then saw out the game with relative ease.

Lee Hendrie in the Sky studio thought we would go on and win the Championship and Glenn Murray in the top 2. They also thought we should have had two penalties, Billing (Murray) and Zemura (Hendrie).

But it is early days yet and only 13 games gone, but another clean sheet away and 3 more away points, we are heading in the right direction.

Pity their manager when asked what he was saying to the referee, he then at length spoke about our time wasting, including Travers going down needing treatment, but his comments sounded just like sour grapes to me.

Last edited:
How does the old cliche go ? ‘Seen them given’ Could have been different with VAR.
Considering his arm was tucked in by his body and the ball appeared to hit his thigh it would have been an incredibly bad decision to give a pen.
A much clearer pen should have gone Bournemouth's way in the first half. A Stoke defender came right through the back of Billing and didn't get the ball.

Great result, great performance, especially silly 2nd half.

The only thing that took the shine off slightly was the fixed penalty I found stuck on my windscreen on my return to the car, supposedly for parking “adjacent to a kerb that had been lowered to the level of the road” - no yellow lines, no signs, no nothing. What about all these people who park with 2 wheels on the actual pavement?! I guess that Stoke being such a sh1t hole means that the local council have to pay their traffic wardens overtime on a wet Tuesday night to find any random way possible to make some money to boost their coffers.

Just read the Sky report of the game and the comments from the two managers after the game.

Interestingly Sky left out the bit where their manager after being asked what did you say to the referee and his answer re time wasting etc.

Sky report gives the basis of what happened without any bias either way.

https://www.skysports.com/football/stoke-city-vs-bournemouth/447487
That's a really good link, you can click on the player's names and get their stats.

Kilkenny with a 92% pass accuracy rate and the most passes in the game apart from Zamura.

I've lost the link I wanted to attach this comment about about Sam Surridge.
I thought he said he wanted a move from DC to get more regular game play, yet he came off the bench at Stoke so maybe he's not as good as he thinks he is, hmm!
On 2nd thoughts he wasn't getting any games for us so perhaps an occasional game from the bench is better than nothing .

Swansea did us, as well as themselves, a good result last night.
UTC

;