Swansea City v AFC Bournemouth - League Cup Second Round

billythekid

UTC Legend
First Taste Of Cup Action For Andoni Iraola

After the league defeat against Spurs, Andoni Iraola will get his first taste of a Cup game with his team. His Cherries side take a break from Premier League action and are involved in the League Cup Second Round away against Swansea City on Tuesday at 7.30 pm.

Last season AFCB reached the Fourth Round and were drawn away against Eddie Howe’s Newcastle United, the North East side won by the only goal of the game which was an own goal by Adam Smith. Previously AFCB had beaten Norwich City and Everton.

Championship side Swansea City reached this stage of the competition by beating League 1 side Northampton Town 3-0, with two goals from Joel Piroe and the other from Josh Ginnelly. The Swans have a new manager this season after Russell Martin left to take on the job as the Southampton manager. Swansea’s new manager is Michael Duff, he left his job as the Barnsley manager to take the job in Wales.

We have only met twice before in the League Cup. It was in 1979-80 in the First Round, it was when the games were played twice on a home and away basis. The first game was away at Swansea and the Cherries were beaten 4-1.
The second game at Dean Court ended in a 0-0 draw, with Swansea City winning 4-1 on aggregate.

In all competitions against Swansea City, AFCB have W 25, D 14, L 23.

Swansea City Team News
Josh Ginnelly, Liam Walsh, Steven Benda and Nathanael Ogbeta were all missing for their recent league game at Preston.

Swansea City Player To Watch
Jerry Yates who was the leading scorer for Blackpool last season has scored 2 goals in his first four league games. The Swans will hope he can replace Joel Piroe who has moved to Leeds United.

AFCB Team News
Apart from those we know and not expected back until after the international break, Joe Rothwell picked up a hand injury against Spurs and didn’t come out for the second half. According to our manager that was a tactical change.

AFCB Player To Watch
Be a good chance to give Hamed Traore, Lewis Cook and Kieffer Moore a starting place and rest some others who have been playing regularly. Another choice by Andoni Iraola could be to give Antoine Semenyo a start up front and rest Dominic Solanke.

The Referee
Matthew Donohue was our referee for three games in the Championship 2021-22 season. At home against Hull City and away against Preston and Coventry City.

This is the game to see what Semenyo can do leading the line. No guarantee it will work but from what we've seen so far it feels like it could be an interesting test.

We know what Moore brings so nothing particularly to be learne from having him start as the main striker.

This is the game to see what Semenyo can do leading the line. No guarantee it will work but from what we've seen so far it feels like it could be an interesting test.

We know what Moore brings so nothing particularly to be learne from having him start as the main striker.

Depends if Moore is part of new boss plans.

If he is, then yes he shojkd start, after all, AI style is different to GONs, so he needs to be bedded in and become familiar with the style.

On the one hand, more minutes into the legs of Lewis Cook would be good but on the other there's unnecessary risk in a position where we've been desperate since the start of the season. Kilkenny to be given a swansong appearance before moving on instead? Would be kind of appropriate, given the opponent...

If things are so bad that they have to start wheeling players in then maybe I'll get a game ;-)

:D

Much tougher now after that yob prematurely wheeled on for the last ever game at Saltergate though??? ;)

Now that was funny. Almost Brian Clough esque clip round the ear.

Edit found it...

At a guess, something like:

---------------Radu
Hill Mepham Kelly Greenwood
---Rothwell Kilkenny Traore
----Brooks Moore Anthony

More minutes for Cook, Semenyo, Kluivert might be nice at some point.

With the current crop of injuries the rotated squad will be made up from the club canteen staff, club superstore staff and matchday programme sellers.
Let’s break this down game by game.
West-Ham…you were adamant Max Aaron’s wouldn’t start. WRONG
Liverpool…You were adamant Kelly would need 3-4 reserve games before we saw him. WRONG
Spurs…You were adamant no current injured players would feature. WRONG
You sir, have not got a fooking clue. And, I bid you farewell.

Let’s break this down game by game.
West-Ham…you were adamant Max Aaron’s wouldn’t start. WRONG
Liverpool…You were adamant Kelly would need 3-4 reserve games before we saw him. WRONG
Spurs…You were adamant no current injured players would feature. WRONG
You sir, have not got a fooking clue. And, I bid you farewell.
I was also right when I stated that we would not beat West Ham and that we would lose against Liverpool and Spurs. Would you give me credit for being correct on three occasions? No? I thought not.

I also predict that we will lose at Brentford through fielding an understrength team due a having too many key players missing.

I also bid you farewell.

I was also right when I stated that we would not beat West Ham and that we would lose against Liverpool and Spurs. Would you give me credit for being correct on three occasions? No? I thought not.

I also predict that we will lose at Brentford through fielding an understrength team due a having too many key players missing.

I also bid you farewell.
Well done!!!
You’ve predicted a team in transition have not beaten the three teams currently in 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the best league in the world.
Do you seriously want praise for that?

Interesting that you've tried to differentiate between us not beating West Ham and then losing the other two. Let's look at that:

I also bid you farewell.

Go back to the West Ham thread and your first salvo was actually to say we'd lose against West Ham:

Both Liverpool and West Ham will very quickly become aware of our defensive frailties within the opening ten minutes of the game. They will do their homework on us beforehand and will know that we have players playing out of position. They will instantly become aware of Anthony playing at right back who in all honesty cannot defend and is a known left midfielder, Senesi playing in midfield of whom is a known centre back. Mepham also cannot be used as a right sided centre half in a three at the back formation as he does not have the pace to cover the gap. This was noted last season. The opposition will quickly learn that we have selection problems and will home in on this and expose us. We need the strengthen very quickly or find ourselves losing the first three matches without any shadow of a doubt. This is not negativity but more of a realism issue.

You then followed it with another corker claiming that if West Ham went ahead we wouldn't score and they'd win:

Well if that is the case then great! The problem is that Aarrons will not be familiar with our squad and so mistakes are likely to occur if he does play i.e. mis-placed passes due to unfamiliarity. However, it is the holes in the midfield that is of concern. West Ham will be playing it through us if we do not tighten up. If we concede first they will just sit back and see the game out. We currently do not have the capacity to unlock packed defences as you well know.

Then hammered it home to confirm we would definitely lose due to missing players:

With the greatest of respect. Have you ever considered purchasing a one way ticket to the planet Earth at all? You need to grasp the the reality and realism of the situation we are in. In simple terms, we have far too many key players missing for the West Ham game. This will result defeat for us. Try waking up from your slumber.

Kindest Regards

I'm not a massive fan of pulling up quotes like that but if you're going to try and rewrite the history of what you said then you can deal with it.

And that's ignoring all the bilge you blathered about us not being able to register players on time for them to play at the weekend when we'd had a bid accepted on the Wednesday. Wrong again. Or Aarons not being able to play because he hadn't trained with us. Wrong again.

It's a sad and pathetic existence you lead to try and get attention on here like this. I wish you'd just bore off. You make points that are patently untrue then try to stand behind them pointlessly and then ignore that you got it wrong when presented with evidence to the contrary or whenever anyone points out your ridiculousness. You're just a pollution on the board that ruins the conversation and adds nothing.

I also bid you farewell.
You've 'predicted' we'll lose every game for the last 10 seasons. You know what you are

For those that like programmes, only a digital online version as they don’t do printed programmes

I also bid you farewell.
You are the most sanctimonious person I have ever met online or offline. You make these broad announcements like you are some kind of genius or seer, when really all it is, is repeating the same bilge ad infinitum.

Even at full strength, we would have been hard pressed to get a result out of those games; those teams have way more talent than us(Well Liverpool and Spurs do), is what it is not going to lose any sleep over that.

I have a feeling you want us to keep on losing just so you can come on here and say 'Haha, I told ya'll so.' You must have a very pathetic daily life to want that kind of validation from people you will more than likely never even meet in person.

If we get a result at Brentford(Which tbh I think we can) what will be your thinking then? We were just lucky fuckers?

Anyway, as to point of this thread, I really hope we come out and make a go of it in the cup. Be interesting to see who will start. Will Radu get his first look? I can see that, also think Traore will start; not sure about the rest.

Let's see what happens.

You are the most sanctimonious person I have ever met online or offline. You make these broad announcements like you are some kind of genius or seer, when really all it is, is repeating the same bilge ad infinitum.

Even at full strength, we would have been hard pressed to get a result out of those games; those teams have way more talent than us(Well Liverpool and Spurs do), is what it is not going to lose any sleep over that.

I have a feeling you want us to keep on losing just so you can come on here and say 'Haha, I told ya'll so.' You must have a very pathetic daily life to want that kind of validation from people you will more than likely never even meet in person.

If we get a result at Brentford(Which tbh I think we can) what will be your thinking then? We were just lucky fuckers?
If we get an unlikely result at Brentford I will be congratulating the team for their efforts.

I bud you a good day.

;