Taking The Knee

Hasn't this whole movement arisen because black people are telling us that they often fear for their lives when they interact with the police and that they feel their skin colour causes them to be dealt with differently to white people?

I think its a bit of a sweeping generalisation that black people often fear for their lives when interacting with the US police if that's indeed what they're claiming? I guess that might be the case in some neighbourhoods and perhaps it was in this one despite them having a black police chief (which is a sad indictment of the place if this killing is proved to be racial ).

If those witnesses said they were scared shitless to Intervene because they were in fear of their lives due to their skin colour then I'll agree, my earlier point was that I'd doubt anyone would ordinarily interfere.

So I've spent about an hour on a sunny morning :slap: working my way through this thread, saying "yep that's right" to some and "oh, come on" to others. Quick comments:
@cherrycarl2004 - I get your initial point. These situations define three groups of people ........... the sincere, who truly care about the cause ........ the under-informed/ambivalent, who genuinely don't think about the matter or are not personally impacted by it ........... and the posers, who jump in on anything that is trending even though they have never before spent 10 minutes of their lives with the issue.
Remember just a few years ago when Jesus was cool, everyone who was interviewed for anything had to first thank God .... less of that now. Then there was MeToo, which brought out people of both sexes airing their "truth". And now we have this. Cue the bandwagon jumpers.
But for your own self, don't impose a ban on your own entertainment over the next six weeks ......... it's noble that you would take a stand for your beliefs but you are the only one that will miss out in the long run. The PL will stop supporting this cause and move on to something else as soon as the money dictates.

The "extremists" on either side on any issue these days sway the dialogue. And the problem with that it that it galvanizes both sides. He calls her a racist, she calls him a bleeding heart. Both take offense and end up in "f*ck you" mode. Those in the middle are almost forced to move to the fringe. And on it goes, polarizing rhetoric as opposed to sincere discourse. And, the issues seem to frequently result in a 50/50 split.

The mainstream media plays a huge part in this. It goes to the extreme, whether it is using odd angle lenses to show what it wants to show, or picking soundbites that support their views, or worst of all, suppressing counter-views. This is exacerbated by social media where anyone with an agenda can present "views" as "facts". And, most of us, myself included, fall for it,

This thread has presented some opposing views well, and for the most part, with lots of good dialogue. Collective (y)

As much as I agree about the despicable act of attacking war memorials, I must remind some of the right wing types that their beloved Donald Trump's war heroes are not dead. :throw:

I’m absolutely OK with this provided they do as they say they will and promote equality and work against racism. Whether they like it or not the players are role models, especially for kids, and if we have learnt nothing else in the last few weeks it is that there are still people out there who think it is acceptable to abuse people based purely on the colour of their skin.

It's a almighty concern. The extremists amongst the more right wing thinking folk have been waiting for this. As usual any violence makes the headlines. The false pictures doing the rounds has been frustrating. Ditching loads of people on FB. By all means say you disagree. Offer a point of view. Yes some agitators got involved at BLM protests. No denying that. As happens at student protests EDL marches etc. I'm not sure bout taking the knee but as mentioned I wouldn't bow to a royal. The statue debate is tricky. Colston row has been going on years. As for Baden Powell statue no one was interested in that apart from a small website. Then as soon as daily mail gave them publicity all hell breaks loose.

Quite right. Taking the knee has really been a weak response. 10 seconds is too short and has not worked, should have been a lot more explanation when the knee is taken and should have taken at least 30 seconds. There has to be serious education on ethnicity history and not the wonder of the British royalty and their Empire.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/palash...eos-in-any-of-britains-100-largest-companies/

The 100 largest companies could deal far much more to tackle the problem. They have the funds to do this. Taking the knee in the boardroom for a minute before each board meeting would be a start. Otherwise nothing will happen.

And when you have to walk through Springbourne to get to the Vitality and note the names of many roads named after US presidential slave owners Jefferson, Madison, Washington, Harrison, Grant, and nobody ever complains, that shows how so many have taken in by the school history white propaganda.
Why are we commemorating such scum?

Quite right. Taking the knee has really been a weak response. 10 seconds is too short and has not worked, should have been a lot more explanation when the knee is taken and should have taken at least 30 seconds. There has to be serious education on ethnicity history and not the wonder of the British royalty and their Empire.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/palash...eos-in-any-of-britains-100-largest-companies/

The 100 largest companies could deal far much more to tackle the problem. They have the funds to do this. Taking the knee in the boardroom for a minute before each board meeting would be a start. Otherwise nothing will happen.

And when you have to walk through Springbourne to get to the Vitality and note the names of many roads named after US presidential slave owners Jefferson, Madison, Washington, Harrison, Grant, and nobody ever complains, that shows how so many have taken in by the school history white propaganda.
Why are we commemorating such scum?

And your doing what exactly ?

...when most of my generation die out racism will be more diluted...I would expect my grandchildren to be totally blind to race,sexuality choice and religious hate...well I hope that is the outcome anyway!...even a global pandemic can’t bring the human race together tbh we could all be fcuked

Taking the knee is a futile gesture that achieves nothing. It is a gesture of subjugation. It is a red rag to racists, look at the increase in hate on social media. What is required is policies and actions to tackle racism and prejudice. Don’t no platform racists but engage them and show them to be the idiots they undoubtedly are.

...when most of my generation die out racism will be more diluted...I would expect my grandchildren to be totally blind to race,sexuality choice and religious hate...well I hope that is the outcome anyway!...even a global pandemic can’t bring the human race together tbh we could all be fcuked
This is a nice sentiment and I am certain that it comes from a good heart ...

It's very possible that your grandchildren will do a better job than our generation has at subjugating hate. But it's also naive to think that racism will not be rampant for the rest of time. Will the Uighurs suddenly be free of Chinese persecution? Will the Israelis and Arab nations lie down together? Will the Shiite and Sunnis come to terms with which has the correct form of Islam?

It serves to remind ourselves that racism is not the exclusive domain of the white man .... although that does fit with the narratives that some would have us believe.

It's very possible that your grandchildren will do a better job than our generation has at subjugating hate. But it's also naive to think that racism will not be rampant for the rest of time. Will the Uighurs suddenly be free of Chinese persecution? Will the Israelis and Arab nations lie down together? Will the Shiite and Sunnis come to terms with which has the correct form of Islam?

It serves to remind ourselves that racism is not the exclusive domain of the white man .... although that does fit with the narratives that some would have us believe.
Absolutely nailed it. Spot on .

Very well said sir even for a Canuck

I agree and am sure that there will always be discrimination in the world and we can only hope that civilisation continues to evolve and better common understanding comes from improved education and the human race increasing intelligence...which is how we move on

We are animals..not robots....there will always be conflict of one kind or another.

The basis of it all is Greed. Rich and Poor is the big issue!

;