Talksport

I think most people in the wider football World just have a sane view of Eddie....a V.Good (or better ) manager....high acheiver..... and will not know yet if he is the best ever...that depends on many things that have not had the chance to happen ....Yet!
Any opinions to the contrary aint worth listening to....simple as that!

Who is this utter prick, and who are those folk enabling him?

if you refuse to show someone the smallest respect of using their name correctly then wow, no hope for you. If that's deemed normal or broadcastable then it's little wonder the "racism" thread exists

Agree Neil... Willo is just too positive about everything... Seems he's worried to utter anything negative in fear of being booted off the programme, or upsetting any kind of relationship he may have the Eddie and the club.

Chris on the other hand... Very good to listen to.

Haven't actually listened to the radio clip, but coming from a country that is bilingual, I have to say that there generally are proper ways to pronounce non-English names in English, and it comes across as highly pretentious when people say a name with a foreign accent, so it's generally not done.
I'm not saying names should be utterly butchered, but there are certain sounds that are integral parts of other languages, but that don't exist in English.
I think the best way is to try to approximate the original sound of the name, as closely as possible, using English phonemes.

Haven't actually listened to the radio clip, but coming from a country that is bilingual, I have to say that there generally are proper ways to pronounce non-English names in English, and it comes across as highly pretentious when people say a name with a foreign accent, so it's generally not done.
I'm not saying names should be utterly butchered, but there are certain sounds that are integral parts of other languages, but that don't exist in English.
I think the best way is to try to approximate the original sound of the name, as closely as possible, using English phonemes.
To be fair I think this is pretty much how UK commentators have dealt with the issue in the past. Trying to say these names with the correct but faked accentuation does always come across as pretty pretentious to be honest. As you say, don't butcher the pronunciation through pure ignorance but try to stick to common English phonemes when coming up with an English pronunciation .

No one has any problem calling David Silva “Da-vid Silva” or Kevin de Bruyne “Kevin de Bruy-ner” as they would be said in Spanish or Dutch.

If commentators pronounced them in ridiculous Spanish or Flandrian accents then people would indeed find it pretentious.

I suspect they wouldn't give two hoots. May even find it mildy assuming.

If Peter Shilton had played in France with Andy Cole I'm sure they would have loved being called Pierre and Andre by fools like Adrian Durham. Or D1ckh3ad as we pronounce his name in this neck of the woods.
Well, there's a difference between pronouncing a name "the English way," and translating it into English.
If we did the latter, Diego Rico would be Jim Ritchie.

Love the English 'translations of names - like 'Terry Henry' and the Villa fans calling Antonio Luna 'Tony Moon'.

On the subject of Solent - was quite telling that when I described them as Radio 'Silent' on a football messageboard - the Saints fans found it hilarious. Little do they know...

Well, there's a difference between pronouncing a name "the English way," and translating it into English.
If we did the latter, Diego Rico would be Jim Ritchie.
My favourite was always Bastian Schweinsteiger. When I lived in Germany I had a DFB shirt made with his number and instead of Schweinsteiger on the back I got them to print Pig Climber on it. :lol:

Pig, ahem, Mounter would also be a very accurate translation !
I did pose the question, what his forefathers' exact profession was ;) but unfortunately the actual origin of the name is not very scandalous. Schweinsteig is a village in the Black Forest or Bayern and obviously a "Schweinsteiger" is a resident of that area. So no, his great great great grandfather apparently did not have a strange hobby.

Translating names into other languages can be fun though. Around the corner from where I lived there was a company which designed, supplied and fitted bathrooms. The name of the company was Bad Design. Presumably they didn't get too many english speaking customers !!!

Back on topic, I just wanted to add that we shouldn't try to be holier than though in the way we pronounce these foreign players' names. Having watched us play on multiple foreign streams in a variety of languages I can safely say that foreign commentators make NO, I repeat NO, attempt to pronounce english players' names correctly :(

Big shout out to the Dutch commentator who started calling Dele Alli "the w*nker" after the AFCB fans started the chant though !

Yeah, I always took it to mean someone who raises pigs, i.e., a swineherd.
But I guess "mount" is a possible translation!
No. A pig mounter would be a "SchweinBEsteiger". The most accurate translation of Schweinsteiger is in fact "pig climber" since a mountain climber is simply a "Bergsteiger" so a Schweinsteiger would be a pig climber. As I posted above, the origin of the name is unfortunately harmless and is the town of Schweinsteig :cry:
The town of Schweinsteig will have been named after a "Steig" or trail upon which "Schweine" would have been driven.

Durham is there to provoke people, so they get calls, emails and texts, or else they'd have nothing to discuss. Simple as that. He does it nearly every day, as far as I am aware. I haven't listened properly to TS for a while though, it has a few good hosts among a load of fools.

One thing Durham does do, occasionally, is reply to posts on Twitter, so you could easily get into a good ranting session if you wanted :)

Trouble is, leading with a statement like that, just invites the loons to get on board and he'll more than likely use their soundbites than sensible replies. TS is not really known for sensible journalism.

Strange thing with Durham is [ and by the way, he swears blind he doesn't dislike us! ] - when he does the Saturday afternoon scores show, he is totally different and does it well!
Exactly. He's a shock-jock. His job relies on listener participation.
That's why he's always riding arsenal – he knows they bite every single time.

I expect he's completely different off air.
And quite honestly, anyone who irritates Alan Brazil is alright in my eyes.

;