“The Bournemouth Way”

This. In the highlights of the Bristol City there is a clip from the away stand as Stacey breaks forward to cross for Lowe’s goal. In the centre of the shot Cahill is busy pointing Kelly and Zemura to where they should be.
And, from the same camera and not for the first time, his fist pump to the bench when the second went in.

Kelly leads the team and Cahill runs it. Perfect

This. In the highlights of the Bristol City there is a clip from the away stand as Stacey breaks forward to cross for Lowe’s goal. In the centre of the shot Cahill is busy pointing Kelly and Zemura to where they should be.
This is actually the secret of us being so solid.....when one full back goes forward the Centre backs split and the other full back tucks in to become a third CB.....makes it very difficult for teams to counter against us......needs a lot of organisation though which is why Cahill was brought in.

Interesting thread on the Fulham forum right now.

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=83569.0

They are using the argument that weve had easy games, which makes no sense since the teams we've played have all lost points by playing us. Also, they haven't played us or West Brom yet so you could argue that out of the 3 strongest teams in the division, they've have the easier matches.

I think they are very good have a shout as favourites as they can really put teams to the sword, but being defensively solid is just as important, if not more so, than scoring 5 instead of 2. Although not as enjoyable to watch obviously.

I actually think, reading through some of their comments, that they seem a pretty reasonable bunch, a little credit where it's due... A few misguided comments about us being lucky with injuries etc. but you can forgive other teams' fans for not quite being 'in the know' about our early injury crisis...

I agree that we wont carry this form throughout and we'll begin to drop points sooner or later, but right now, I look at 3 home games and a derby with the biscuits and I just seen another 12 points...

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the energy and desire being shown by our team. The 'kids' have injected a sense of enjoyment in to how we approach games, the signings of Cahill and Christie have been inspired and players like Kelly, Dom and Lerma are all responding positively. The player clearly buy into SPs tactics and confidence is high.

Another major positive is that we are establishing partnerships in key areas. Zemure and Anthony on the left, Kelly and Cahill in the middle of defence and now Stacey and Christie are beginning to look very good together. Partnerships were a huge factor in our success under EH and it is hugely exciting to see so many forming all over the pitch.

A lot has been made of our style of play over the last decade or so, with the vast majority of our tactics being some form of an attempt at attacking first and defending second. Slick passing, electric wing play, possession based football etc.

Our style under Parker has retained the possession-based build-up play of the last few years, but with an added focus on our defensive nous; easily seen in these clean sheet records being set by the team. It’s not always as vibrant as has been in recent times, and we’re hardly the “goal robots” we were in the 14/15 season.

But...maybe it’s just me, but I’m loving it. I do enjoy smashing teams obviously, and we could be a smidge more adventurous, but I get this almost vindictive joy out of knowing once we score, we probably won’t lose. I haven’t really feared conceding in a long time. Corners and set plays? No goals conceded. Maybe we should try playing it through the channels? You’re offside. Just lump it in there then! Kelly or Cahill easily clears.

To have this much confidence in our defence is testament to SPs work and is something that I’m thoroughly enjoying. There’s something incredibly satisfying about putting these teams through the wringer, choking the life out of them when we’re in control, and then hearing from their manager after the game that it was their toughest game of the season. No sh1t! I wouldn’t want to play us either.
Great post. This is exactly why I am enjoying this season, this team. We have an aura of invincibility about us, so even when we are defending a one goal lead I feel quite relaxed. Of course we may get caught out one day but even then, I'd feel confident that we'd hang on for the point. Add to that the fact that our own youngsters ( who previously barely got a look in ) are contributing to our success and everybody is giving it their all as a team and for us fans it's pretty dang near perfect. And we still score some beautiful, well worked goals along the way.

Loving it so far and massive credit to the board for getting SP to come here and to SP for building a "proper" team that we can all be proud of and fully get behind.

I know it's early days yet but I have a "feeling" that this team is exactly what's required to get us promoted. As you say, nobody will be looking forward to playing us !

:utc:

Great post. This is exactly why I am enjoying this season, this team. We have an aura of invincibility about us, so even when we are defending a one goal lead I feel quite relaxed. Of course we may get caught out one day but even then, I'd feel confident that we'd hang on for the point. Add to that the fact that our own youngsters ( who previously barely got a look in ) are contributing to our success and everybody is giving it their all as a team and for us fans it's pretty dang near perfect. And we still score some beautiful, well worked goals along the way.

Loving it so far and massive credit to the board for getting SP to come here and to SP for building a "proper" team that we can all be proud of and fully get behind.

I know it's early days yet but I have a "feeling" that this team is exactly what's required to get us promoted. As you say, nobody will be looking forward to playing us !

:utc:

Exactly. First time I've 'trusted' an AFCB team in a long time. Despite our team 'on paper' and unbeaten run last season, I never felt particularly confident going into games.

Even with making changes we continue with the level of performances.

Good times again.

My daughter and I were saying exactly that last night. Even though we were under a bit of pressure we both believed we would hold on for the win. Not sure I've ever felt that in the past

I've been pretty open with my views on Solanke. Not that I dislike him as a player or don't think his effort isgood enough, I just wasn't convinced he was good enough. Regardless of the goals he's scored this season I am seeing so much more to his game recently. Again not just lots of effort or running but tactically. His finish last night was one of a natural finisher, instinct to follow up and be first to the rebound. A poachers goal. Listening to Parker wax lyrical about hIm after the game I found myself nodding in agreement. If this is a result of Parker and his team, and he can grow our other players to a different level then that is fantastic management. I loved Parker using the expression ' my team' last night. He's the boss, not their mate, and that instigates respect and positive attitude. This team is now a team, if you know what I mean.

I've been pretty open with my views on Solanke. Not that I dislike him as a player or don't think his effort isgood enough, I just wasn't convinced he was good enough. Regardless of the goals he's scored this season I am seeing so much more to his game recently. Again not just lots of effort or running but tactically. His finish last night was one of a natural finisher, instinct to follow up and be first to the rebound. A poachers goal. Listening to Parker wax lyrical about hIm after the game I found myself nodding in agreement. If this is a result of Parker and his team, and he can grow our other players to a different level then that is fantastic management. I loved Parker using the expression ' my team' last night. He's the boss, not their mate, and that instigates respect and positive attitude. This team is now a team, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, so glad its starting to 'click' for him now. Apparently he's a model professional and works tirelessly on improving his game.

His footwork, skill was immense when he smashed the bar. Turned their defense inside out.

Interesting reaction to the hard tackle from behind by Souter. He appeared to lose it a bit and went lunging in a few seconds after. Not sure he meant anything, but if he had made contact/gone through the player, he may have seen a red card, as foot was raised and looked aggressive.

Interesting thread on the Fulham forum right now.

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=83569.0

They are using the argument that weve had easy games, which makes no sense since the teams we've played have all lost points by playing us. Also, they haven't played us or West Brom yet so you could argue that out of the 3 strongest teams in the division, they've have the easier matches.

I think they are very good have a shout as favourites as they can really put teams to the sword, but being defensively solid is just as important, if not more so, than scoring 5 instead of 2. Although not as enjoyable to watch obviously.

They haven't been as consistent.

Exactly. First time I've 'trusted' an AFCB team in a long time. Despite our team 'on paper' and unbeaten run last season, I never felt particularly confident going into games.

Even with making changes we continue with the level of performances.

Good times again.

Depending on how bad Smithy's knee injury is, do we potentially need another right back as cover for Stacey?

Depending on how bad Smithy's knee injury is, do we potentially need another right back as cover for Stacey?

I guess we do. Rossi can cover there, but whether he'd suit out style of overlapping, bombing forwards, I'm not so sure.

Bit like mepham, strikes me as being a centre back, or holding right back, rather than someone with wing back qualities.

I guess we do. Rossi can cover there, but whether he'd suit out style of overlapping, bombing forwards, I'm not so sure.

Bit like mepham, strikes me as being a centre back, or holding right back, rather than someone with wing back qualities.
The fact that Mepham was chose over him to fill in at right back earlier in the season would very much suggest that he is not an option there. If Smithy is out then it is a worry as Stacy has a tendency to pick up a knock. The full back position is pivotal to the way we play too, if anything they are tasked to create even more than the wingers in this team.

The fact that Mepham was chose over him to fill in at right back earlier in the season would very much suggest that he is not an option there. If Smithy is out then it is a worry as Stacy has a tendency to pick up a knock. The full back position is pivotal to the way we play too, if anything they are tasked to create even more than the wingers in this team.

Stan has covered there in the past and did okay from memory. Mind you... we can't rely on him to not get injured himself and would miss him further forward. I dare say Christie could do a decent job too but we need him further forward. Any free agent right backs around?

Stan has covered there in the past and did okay from memory. Mind you... we can't rely on him to not get injured himself and would miss him further forward. I dare say Christie could do a decent job too but we need him further forward. Any free agent right backs around?
Any decent young right backs at the club?

;