“The Bournemouth Way”

Very true. We will be no different to other teams in that regard. They will all be overdependent upon their starting striker being available and will struggle to replace them if they should be out for an extended period.

The insurance policy against that is to develop a team and style of play whereby goals come from all over the pitch and from a variety of different players.
In that regard I'd suggest we're better off than some of the teams we are competing against, so again, I think we are in a strong position this season.

Think it was interesting a couple of years ago when bielsa’s Leeds side blew promotion to leave Norwich and Sheffield Utd in the automatic places. Quite a few pundits claimed it was a typical bielsa end of season dip. For me, it was noticeable how strong the respective forwards of pukki, Billy sharp and Kema roofe were doing until Roofe was injured.

Fail to keep your star forward fit and that could make the difference. Fulham would be a very different team without Mitrovic. I could see the same happening if Dom was injured. Think we could cover his goals but his work rate, high pressure and link up play will be impossible to replicate imho amongst the current squad.

We are lacking a midfielder who can shoot in the Arter mould, Lerma does his best but never on target and Kilkenny's are like back passes.
Yep, very few goals coming from the midfield these days. We used to get a fair few from midfield last time we were in the Championship. It almost feels as though goals from midfield are the missing piece in the puzzle for us to reach the heights of that Championship winning team.

Feels weird having a solid defence. Only conceded 8 goals in 13?! Unreal.
Still think that even with the great start we’ve had, this team has the potential to really up it a gear.
Christie looks some player, has all the talent and is clever with it (constantly plays balls off defenders to win throws/corners). Cahill is a masterstroke as well.
Don’t want to get ahead of ourselves not even a third of the season in, but signs look very promising….

Far too positive a post.

Instead of enjoying sitting top of the table by 5 points & unbeaten this season, you should be worrying about every other team in this division.

And what happens if Dom get's injured, there's not enough goals coming from midfield & so on & so on.

Some quite strange opinions on this thread as it's gone on.

Think some of you should just sit back & enjoy what we're watching instead of worrying about everyone else & trying to find faults in Parker & his squad, when there's not too many.

Yep, very few goals coming from the midfield these days. We used to get a fair few from midfield last time we were in the Championship. It almost feels as though goals from midfield are the missing piece in the puzzle for us to reach the heights of that Championship winning team.

If you don’t let many goals in, you don’t need to score so many to win.

Great as the Championship winning side were, they conceded just under a goal a game: 45 in 46. So far this season it is just 8 in 13. (To save anyone needing to look it up, the 2014/15 team also scored 98 goals.)

We are getting goals from midfield from Billing as per the post above. And who needs goals from midfield when you’ve got Zemura?

Last edited:

…hopefully christie can get on a run of goals - had a lot of efforts on top of the assists.

In the title winning season Arter Surman Gosling and O’Kane got nine between them. Billing could get at least double that alone. If you mean the wingers too, Lowe will get goals. Anthony will bag a few more. Christie will get a few. Lerma may even pop up with the odd one. If he ever plays again Marcondes is more than capable of getting goals. Stan got ten + last season. At least twenty two other teams in the league would swap their midfield for ours in a heart beat. Bit of perspective needed here.

Billing is scoring plenty from midfield and at his current rate certainly looks good for at least 15 this season.
I deliberately said "goals from midfield" and not "goals from midfielders" :)

Billing hasn't been playing in midfield for a while now, you know what I mean.

We lack somebody who at times can pick the ball up in the middle of the pitch, take one or two touches to create some space and then righteously smash one goalwards and on target. Solanke and Billing would probably pick up a lot of scraps from blocks and parried saves if we had somebody who could actually hit the target from further out. I think having someone like that in the team would increase our goal tally significantly. We've not really had that since Arter went off the boil.

Far too positive a post.

Instead of enjoying sitting top of the table by 5 points & unbeaten this season, you should be worrying about every other team in this division.

And what happens if Dom get's injured, there's not enough goals coming from midfield & so on & so on.

Some quite strange opinions on this thread as it's gone on.

Think some of you should just sit back & enjoy what we're watching instead of worrying about everyone else & trying to find faults in Parker & his squad, when there's not too many.
Nobody is saying we aren't enjoying it as far as I'm aware !

I used to sit watching SSN waiting for us to throw away our lead. I'd get really nervous almost to panic stations. Now it seems we're solid at the back and it's a lot easier for me watching now. Well done SP and the whole club, to quote Young Mr Grace 'You've all done very well'. (Are you being served? For those who never watched it on TV)

Wife watching it downstairs at the moment. 'This is ridiculous' is the main comment :yes:

Ah I see I see. Yes I agree.

We lack somebody who at times can pick the ball up in the middle of the pitch, take one or two touches to create some space and then righteously smash one goalwards and on target. Solanke and Billing would probably pick up a lot of scraps from blocks and parried saves if we had somebody who could actually hit the target from further out. I think having someone like that in the team would increase our goal tally significantly. We've not really had that since Arter went off the boil.

Don't think we can over estimate the difference Gary Cahill has made, 8 goals conceded in 13 games is great but break it down and it's 5 in 5 BC, 3 in 8 AC. Plus in those 8 matches it's 7 wins, 1 draw. : )
I'm just enjoying the ride at the moment, there will be dips ( maybe ) but me worrying about them won't prevent them happening. It's how the team copes in adversity that will determine where we end up : )

Kilkenny has had a go against Brizzle and Stoke. I'm hoping he could be the Arter MKII if he gets a run and a bit of confidence. Here's a reminder of what he can do:

And this...

And this...

Yep, that's the sort of thing I miss.
Let's hope we don't coach it out of him now that he's in with the seniors.
We do seem very focused on playing the ball to feet all of the time but you would hope that the players still have some license to have a crack from distance if the opportunity opens up for them. I think we could mix things up a bit more from time to time, especially when we are struggling to play through a team.
Kilkenny looks as if he could have that in his locker, as you say, if he is given license to do so and a decent run in the team.

That Lewis Cook goal was an absolute beauty but it took him forever to finally score one !

Nobody is saying we aren't enjoying it as far as I'm aware !

This is the thing I find quite bemusing on this message board and social media in general. Everything is so binary. Just because people debate strengths and weaknesses doesn’t mean people are unhappy or don’t rate SP. if people don’t like some of the concerns then why not listen to a handful of SP’s interviews and he will point out the same areas he wants improvement. That’s the way it should be ….or are we mothballing this forum until (if?) we lose this season! Good to have balance imho

;