The grapes are sour in Nottingham

the notts forest owner is looking for them to win some trophies.....apparently

good luck with that although the notts senior cup is a possibility but only if mansfield put out a weakened team....

have googled the owner; fcuk me what a grubby individual
drug trafficking seems to be his thing although not proven as 10 witnesses to the case "died" before it got to court :eek!:

with $70m worth of heroin profits at his disposal we can expect the notts forest to be active in the transfer market

Seems strange that we’re all saying we need to strengthen at CB yet we let our club capt leave for free as he was ‘surplus to requirements’ at DC, yett in just 4 months helped Forest also get back to the PL and will no doubt be a job part of their ‘PL’ defence…

Could have saved ourselves circa £15m…

Seems strange that we’re all saying we need to strengthen at CB yet we let our club capt leave for free as he was ‘surplus to requirements’ at DC, yett in just 4 months helped Forest also get back to the PL and will no doubt be a job part of their ‘PL’ defence…

We could save ourselves lot more than that with 20/20 hindsight.

True, but Cookie is 31. I can see the logic, if you're planning for the future, to go for someone younger.

We could save ourselves lot more than that with 20/20 hindsight.

I get what you're saying but I don't think hindsight comes to play here... Everyone knew that Cook could have done more than an adequate job here still, and probably in the PL next year as well... For whatever reason he was pushed out of DC and it's proven to come back and bite us 'just a little' as we're now looking like we're gonna need to spend the bucks to replace him... Having spent bucks on two temp replacements already... It's not hindsight, it's just having a bit of sensible forward thinking, but there you go... It's done... I genuinely hope Cook goes on to have an absolute belter of a season for Forest next year...

True, but Cookie is 31. I can see the logic, if you're planning for the future, to go for someone younger.

Didn't work out too bad for Forest, and he'll prob line up in August for them as well... Nowt wrong with 5 years of PL experience in your starting line up...

... and how does bringing in Cahill fit into your 'someone younger' scenario...? Don't get me wrong, I thought Cahill was great and Nat Phillips has grown on me and I'd be happy if we signed him (for the right price)... but we've spent a lot of money to get replace a player that was supposed to be costing us too much, and is now in the PL as well...

I get what you're saying but I don't think hindsight comes to play here... Everyone knew that Cook could have done more than an adequate job here still, and probably in the PL next year as well... For whatever reason he was pushed out of DC and it's proven to come back and bite us 'just a little' as we're now looking like we're gonna need to spend the bucks to replace him... Having spent bucks on two temp replacements already... It's not hindsight, it's just having a bit of sensible forward thinking, but there you go... It's done... I genuinely hope Cook goes on to have an absolute belter of a season for Forest next year...
Didn't work out too bad for Forest, and he'll prob line up in August for them as well... Nowt wrong with 5 years of PL experience in your starting line up...

... and how does bringing in Cahill fit into your 'someone younger' scenario...? Don't get me wrong, I thought Cahill was great and Nat Phillips has grown on me and I'd be happy if we signed him (for the right price)... but we've spent a lot of money to get replace a player that was supposed to be costing us too much, and is now in the PL as well...

Of course hindsight comes into it. If we hadn't got promoted we'd have an unsustainable wage on the books just as we're looking to slash wages as parachute payments end. Doesn't sound like sensible forward thinking to me. Cahill wasn't on a long-term contract and neither was Phillips.

OK, I get that, but are you telling me that Cook would have cost more to keep him on our books, let him poss see out his contract (Forgive me I'm wrong but I thought his contract was up this summer anyhow?) and treat him with some dignity than bringing in Cahill for 12 month's, and subsequently played only half the season, and Nat Phillips' £1.5m 4-month fee...?

I have no ill feeling towards anyone on this... We got promoted so job done and well done everyone...However, it just leaves a slight bitter taste in my mouth as to how the whole situation 'appeared' to be dealt with, considering the stature Cook held in the club and with the fans...

Given Phillips and Cahill arrival throughout the season... I don't buy that money was the issue...

As a Championship decision, we should have kept Cook until this summer, I'd maintain.

As a Premier League decision to make, it's a totally different prospect and it would be unlikely and probably unwise that we'd keep Cook in the PL in our 2x ball-playing CB system.

Forest get the best out of Cook by using him in a back 3 with younger defenders either side who he can organise through the game. That back 3 are much more direct and don't worry so much about recycling the ball around their own half under a press to find the perfect way through midfield. Cook is less exposed and not expected to do as much technical stuff.

All of that suits the aging Cook, and it might well work in the PL for Forest and Cooper. I wish him all the best.

It's not our style though.

We need to move on, draw a line under Steve Cook, and look to the future. Someone who works in our system at PL level, as Parkerball is going nowhere. And we need assets we can develop for the future, cos that's seemingly our business model.

OK, I get that, but are you telling me that Cook would have cost more to keep him on our books, let him poss see out his contract (Forgive me I'm wrong but I thought his contract was up this summer anyhow?) and treat him with some dignity than bringing in Cahill for 12 month's, and subsequently played only half the season, and Nat Phillips' £1.5m 4-month fee...?

I have no ill feeling towards anyone on this... We got promoted so job done and well done everyone...However, it just leaves a slight bitter taste in my mouth as to how the whole situation 'appeared' to be dealt with, considering the stature Cook held in the club and with the fans...

Given Phillips and Cahill arrival throughout the season... I don't buy that money was the issue...

Money going forward was clearly the issue. As I say neither of those players were on long-term contracts so if we failed to go up they are gone and we cut out cloth accordingly. Sure we could have denied Cook the chance of one big final multi-year contract with forest by forcing him to see his contract out on our bench but is that treating him any better?

Signing Cahill looked a masterstroke before his injury and, let's face it we haven't looked that solid in years.

Indeed. The only benefit I can think of is that Cookie does tend to have a longish lay off each season, so at least they'll have to do without him if/when this happens next season. Fingers crossed our CBs stay relatively injury free.

the notts forest owner is looking for them to win some trophies.....apparently

good luck with that although the notts senior cup is a possibility but only if mansfield put out a weakened team....

have googled the owner; fcuk me what a grubby individual
drug trafficking seems to be his thing although not proven as 10 witnesses to the case "died" before it got to court :eek!:

with $70m worth of heroin profits at his disposal we can expect the notts forest to be active in the transfer market
After reading your comments I found this article about his alleged involvement in a huge drugs shipment. Quite an incredible tale of gangsters, corruption and mysterious (and not so mysterious) deaths;
https://newrepublic.com/article/159252/noor-one-vampire-ship-heroin-turkey-greece-corruption-scandal

Good grief,people still have a hard on for Steve Cook,move on for God's sake,unpopular opinion but Cahill was a far better player at the time and Phillips is a better player here and now and will be in the future.

Cook was adequate in the Premier League because he had Ake next to him,he will find it a lot harder this time around.

;